Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best survival radio communications systems....????

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .-- .... .- - / - .-. .- -... .. - .... .- / ... .- .. -..
    ..- ... / .... .. -.-. -.- ... / .... .- ...- . / - --- / ... - .. -.-. -.- / - --- --. . - .... . .-.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Yaesu VX-6R and I've decided to get my technician license. That way I've covered all basis on communications. The Yaesu is on sale until the end of the month.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0666.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Keep this up and we'll have to call you Mr. Gadget Jr.

That is the radio that I will probably get eventually. Let us know how the licensing process goes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I ordered two ARRL books for the tech license. One is The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...SIN=0872590836

The other is the ARRL Tech Q and A.

http://www.amazon.com/Arrls-Tech-Qui...ref=pd_sim_b_3
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

you can take example tests here http://www.eham.net/exams/

Super! Thanks!!

Banned

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Yaesu VX-6R and I've decided to get my technician license. That way I've covered all basis on communications. The Yaesu is on sale until the end of the month.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0666.html
    Okay rick. Have you been watching my internet orders? The unit you ordered is the one i also bought several months ago. It's a great radio. In addition to having the "ham" channels, it also has channels you can monitor some are even law enforcement and EMS bands plus NOAA weather radio bands. For the price it is an excellent choice. I think you'll be pleased.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Keep this up and we'll have to call you Mr. Gadget Jr.

That is the radio that I will probably get eventually. Let us know how the licensing process goes.
    Here now crash I resemble that remark
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Well, great minds and all. It must be the Hoosier in us.

Well, great minds and all. It must be the Hoosier in us.
    You got that one right,

The Yaesu arrived today. All I can say is holy cow. This thing came with two technicians, a computer engineer and three guys just to look up stuff in the manual. I figured out how to plug in the charger. If I can figure out what the interface of packet TNCs and CTCSS/DCS Operations are I'll be in like Flynn. More to come.....maybe. (This thing is worse that a VCR)

I did a trade today (it's in the mail anyway) on a couple of hand held CB's.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The Yaesu arrived today. All I can say is holy cow. This thing came with two technicians, a computer engineer and three guys just to look up stuff in the manual. I figured out how to plug in the charger. If I can figure out what the interface of packet TNCs and CTCSS/DCS Operations are I'll be in like Flynn. More to come.....maybe. (This thing is worse that a VCR)
    Rick I'll try to find the site/link I found and send it to you. It has a ( i think) 20 minute tutorial video on how to program and operate the radio. The manual IMO is not user friendly unless you are VERY technically minded, however the video is easy enough for even I can understand it. I'll try to find it and send you the link.

I'm currently studying for my technician's license. I had no idea Ham radio was as technical as it is. I'm pretty impressed with the knowledge that hams have. I thought you might find it of interest. Here's a couple of sample questions:

Q 13: What is the cause of irregular fading of signals from distant stations during times of generally good reception? (T3A08)

A. Absorption of signals by the "D" layer of the ionosphere.
    B. Absorption of signals by the "E" layer of the ionosphere.
    C. Random combining of signals arriving via different path lengths.
    D. Intermodulation distortion in the local receiver.

Q 26: What circuit is pictured in Figure T7, if block 1 is a frequency discriminator? (T7A04)

A. A double-conversion receiver.
    B. A regenerative receiver.
    C. A superheterodyne receiver.
    D. An FM receiver.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Banned

A, A,,,,,,,,,,?

C and D........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You can take practice exams, which is where these questions came from. I took one before I started studying then I've taken one after finishing each chapter. I past my first test after chapter 4. There may be hope for me. I'm really concerned about that old dog, new trick liability thingie.

The Navy actually taught me most of that stuff...........a long, long time ago. Now, if I could just remember it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'll vote D and D