Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best survival radio communications systems....????

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've used a few different radio setups for field use but a good HAM radio would be the best long range communications setup. As mentioned before a good radio, amplifier, and antenna would be required for a base station. This can become costly if you need to communicate over a long distance with multiple people. Everyone will need a similar setup. I'm not a HAM radio operator but there's a lot of people out there that can help.

I have used equipment by Yaesu and have been very happy.
    http://www.yaesu.com/

For local use you could use GMRS/FRF radios. If your looking for a good handheld, I found the Cobra MR HH425LI VP is the best package available.
    It has the broadest range of frequencies: FRF, GMRS, Marine Band, and NOAA weather stations for the US and Canada. It's weather resistant and has a removable antenna which enables it to tie in to a better antenna setup. It has a lot of other features and I've been happy with mine.
    http://cobra.com/products/handhelds-...wind-say-again

Also check out ICOM for quality GMRS handhelds. The IC F21MG has variable transmit power of (4w, 2w, or 1w)
    http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...a/default.aspx
    Last edited by pgvoutdoors; 07-29-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Additional Information
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

Would this Thread be a good sticky'thingy.......?

Hope I bought a 2 meter mobile and magnetic mount antenna last summer here at the ham station. Paid about $ 185.00 plus tax. (new) If ya want I'll check on some local costs be happy to and handle picking up and shipping to you if they have anything you want or arrange shipping through them for you. Just let me know.

Does Ham work off a repeater system or radio to radio like a C.B does? In a bad case most repeaters would be down due to power failures unless on a backup generator.
    GUN TOTEN REBEL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
    Does Ham work off a repeater system or radio to radio like a C.B does? In a bad case most repeaters would be down due to power failures unless on a backup generator.
    WAAAAAAAAAAY back in the 70's we used a repeater for 2 meter HAM. We even built a home-made "auto-patch" system which allowed us to make telephone calls from our radios. Kinda' neat at the time.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I have and use VHF,frs and Gmrs radios,and a CB . But the skip is so bad on the CB.
    GUN TOTEN REBEL

Back when I was using CB radios (still had to register with the FCC - my call letters KRT 6030) you were limited to 5 watts maximum. Is that still the case?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Back when I was using CB radios (still had to register with the FCC - my call letters KRT 6030) you were limited to 5 watts maximum. Is that still the case?
    Yep, 5 watts then, not sure about today either. Back then, my "handle" was "Hemorrhoid."
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

KAGM 6291 in my Civil Defense days, if I remember correctly.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

HAM was KA1BGH. Like a dummy, I allowed it to expire.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

It's weird. Sometimes I can't remember what I had for lunck, but I remember my call letters from 35 years ago.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ken - how difficult was it/is it to get your ticket?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Ken - how difficult was it/is it to get your ticket?
    It was a lot harder when I got my Tech grade from what I hear. We had a code requirement back then. I was going for my "General" grade and had my code speed up to 35 cpm. Never took the General exam. Back then, there was also a "Novice" license - no more.

The test (theory) is really pretty simple. With your technical background, the study materials should be a snap.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

crash for your normal 40 channel CB most come set at 4-6 watts from factory. But unless you get insane with it and get a lot of complaints the FCC more or less ignores CB's anymore I had mine " peeked and tuned" So i'm running about 60 watts from mine now. ( costs around $50.00) If you have a CB with sideband they usuall y run about 20 watts on SB out of the box. Some of the CB's have FM and 2 meter channels ( FM and 2 meter require license) and they have between 10-50 watts. So it depends on which one you have.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
    2 meter HAM works both ways.If you are within 8-10 miles you can usually communicate unit to unit But if you are farther away or across a large city your signal is usually "bounced" off 1 or more repeaters

We had ours peeked and tuned with my hunt club and you could key up the carwash. On accident I keyed up beside a young feller that had a basic and his radio was done. I could talk a long way. I need to hook mine back up pulled my antenna wire on a stump.....I was talking regularly 200 miles plus. I wasn't the one in the club with all the knowledge but i still have that old Midland.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    We had ours peeked and tuned with my hunt club and you could key up the carwash. On accident I keyed up beside a young feller that had a basic and his radio was done. I could talk a long way. I need to hook mine back up pulled my antenna wire on a stump.....I was talking regularly 200 miles plus. I wasn't the one in the club with all the knowledge but i still have that old Midland.
    Cowboy.... Those old radios could really "blow smoke" If you have an old one hang on to it they can be peeked up to arond 100 watts and will talk to mars with the right antenna usually a 102" steel whip.

It is at my old house. I will grab it next trip and tell you what it was before it was tweaked. I used a nice whip with it. Tore the vinyl off of McDonalds in the drive through. It has some good memories behind it too....We all had 'em, sometimes I miss those days!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Yeah when I was a kid we'd go out and listen to one and see if the "Skip" was in. I once heard someone from Pa. and I was in S.Ga. little town called Homerville near the Fla. line. when I was older I got one,had it Peaked and Tuned and could talk about 20 miles regardless of the skip. I had a friend that lived that far ,but it was long distance by phone(go figure) so I'd talk to him on the CB instead.

Once I got a call by land line to the hunt club. They needed a 4X4 so I was on the way with a '77 K5 400 cu.in. small block with 305 heads steam holed. I pulled down in the swamp all the way on the radio.... I found him deep in nasty rut! We hooked up the chains. I started to pull him nice and gentle... well he began to dislike the smooth path.... Cussed me a few times over the radio... OK It is on... His son comes over the radio.. "Cowboy please don't mess my Daddy's truck up... KEYED UP LOUD FULL THROTTLE COME"N TO THE ROAD BOYS!!!! WHOOOAAAOOO! Found me a "Found On The Road Dead" to play with!!!