Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dried beans- Recipes and prep advice?

Before I get serious, I've GOT to get this out of the way.

Um, I know I am responding to an old post, but hey...observations are timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dink View Post
    ....Being a girl, I don't have the gas problems guys have!! 8-}
    That's right, ladies don't actually fart, some of us whisper in our panties.
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyette Adams View Post
    Before I get serious, I've GOT to get this out of the way.

Um, I know I am responding to an old post, but hey...observations are timeless.

That's right, ladies don't actually fart, some of us whisper in our panties.
    Bhohahahaha.........Not always true........Called a "phoofie".....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Here's how to convert your cooked beans into delicious dehydrated meals for backpacking:

Chili here: http://www.backpackingchef.com/how-to-make-chili.html

Cajun Red Beans and Rice here: http://www.backpackingchef.com/yr-po...-and-rice.html

What I do differently with the RB&R is (if using canned beans) is to add the traditional "trinity" to the mix: in my kitchen that would be approximately 1 part dehydrated onion, 1/2 part dehydrated celery, 1/4 part dehydrated bell pepper. A little touch of garlic (powder or dehydrated) is needed too. Of course if I dehydrated my "from scratch" beans, all that goodness would already be in the pot and the extra stuff is not needed.

backpackingchef.com is a great place for learning new ideas...love it!
    Last edited by Grizzlyette Adams; 09-18-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Bhohahahaha.........Not always true........Called a "phoofie".....
    Brah, I rest my case. A phoofie IS the whisper equivalent to a BRAAAAP.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I like those short time ones.
    Now how about this?
    Put beans in a glass jar, maybe 2 qt, fill with water, carry in pack or just set around camp till lunch.
    Pour off water, add more and cook w/ the salt pork etc?
    I'll go ya one better...soak those beans while you sleep. In the morning, bring them to a nice rolling boil while you boil up the coffee. Add meat if you want, cut in 1 inch cubes. When ready to break camp, pour boiling hot beans and liquid into a large thermos (or other heat-proof carrying jar) water and all. Wrap them about 3 inches thick and stick them in your pack. They will cook as you go (thermal cooking at its best). In the evening they should be all cooked, if not, they will be nearly cooked, requiring only a short boil or heat up before eating. Yes, I know, this takes up room in the pack, so maybe would work best if you are horse-packing, or canoeing to your next camp; or give part of your pack to your partner since you will be cooking dinner as you go! I tried this with navy beans and pintos, worked great. I used a half gal. canning jar to carry it and since it was wrapped I was not overly worried about breakage. Pick some greens as you go, and when you get to camp, all you will need is to make up some corn dodgers or hoecake. Yum!

Been using a Instant Pot it’s a electric pressure cooker, I soak bean overnight, add to pot 2 cups beans, ham, tablespoon bacon grease, onion, celery, carrots, seasoning,4 cups water hit cook button. The food will cook in under 1hour, then automatically goes to slow cook and will stay warm for 12 hours like a crock pot scenario.
    Semper Paratus