Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dried beans- Recipes and prep advice?

Default Dried beans- Recipes and prep advice?

So you have cans of dry beans, or have dried them yourself.

Seems that most survival places sells cans of dried beans, and preppers are always talking about them.

Also seems that everything I hear requires them to be soaked for a long time before using?

What are you favorite recipes?

Looking for the trail/camp etc recipes.
    Thanks
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

To make a good pot of beans even under normal circumstances they are best if soaked over night in cold salt water. However in an emergency try starting a pot of water in a "rolling boil" dump in your beans for about 2 minutes. remove from heat and let soak for about an hour. A recipe i use is.
    take 1 pound of beans dry pkg. or can
    pre-boil or soak over night
    put in a pot with about 10-12 cups of water
    add about 1/4 to 1/2 pound of pork jowl ( extra thick slices of country bacon "rind"
    1 teaspoon of pepper
    1 teaspoon of baking soda
    salt to taste
    5-6 teaspoons of onion flakes or 1/4 small onion chopped
    1 teaspoon garlic powder.

cook on low heat just under a boil for about an hour, then increase heat to a "gentle" boil for another 2-3 hours until beans are "soft"
    beans are great with dutch over corn bread..... But thats another recipe.
    Last edited by oldsoldier; 07-28-2009 at 06:38 PM.

First off, put your beans in a pot of cold water. Remove any that float. Then put the pot on to boil for an hour or so. Take it off, let it cool and refridgerate overnight. Next day cook away, eat, and refridgerate the leftovers. Now when you cook them (day 3) so much more better.
    When cooking flavor as you see fit. Gotta have some bacon (fatback preferred). Onion, celery, salt and pepper (black and red if you see fit).
    Add anything you like. Cornbread crumbled up is awesome.
    You are your dog's best friend....

I've always soaked the beans overnight. Mac said he pressure cooks them but I'll let him tell that tale.

First, I use Navy Beans.

1/2 pound navy beans
    We always have some kind of left over ham in the freezer. Usually a ham bone with some meat left on just for beans.
    Pepper and salt to taste

Cover the beans in cold water, and let sit overnight or about eight hours. Drain and rinse. Dump the beans into a kettle or into a crock pot. Cover the beans with water and cook on low, if using a crock pot, or medium heat, if using a stove, for about 8 hours until beans are tender. Add the ham about 2 hours before the beans are done. When the beans become tender and begin to separate, it's chow time.

Beans are not beans unless you have cornbread, butter and a nice slice of onion to go with them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick do i forsee a bean cookin' at jamboree????

I tried this, the last time I cooked up some navy beans, and it worked great, in my book. (For a easy, simple way.)

In the morning;
    1. Put water in pot. (About half full.)(Pot big enough to cook a pound of dry beans.)

2. Dump dry beans in water.

At lunch time;
    1. Throw in a chunk of salt-pork.(fat-back)

2. Put pot on heat.(Barely boiling.)

3. Dump some pepper in.(How much, is up to you.)

4. Stir, from time to time, and add water if needed.

At supper time;

1. Hope that someone has cornbread.

2. Enjoy!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I like those short time ones.
    Now how about this?
    Put beans in a glass jar, maybe 2 qt, fill with water, carry in pack or just set around camp till lunch.
    Pour off water, add more and cook w/ the salt pork etc?

I hate to tote glass anywhere. I know ya'll will find this hard to believe but I have been know to fall down and drop things. I know, I know. You're shocked, I can tell but it's true. Rare but true. The thought of fallin' on a jar full of beans would pain me in a couple of different ways. Otherwise, a sound idea.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm with Rick, on this one. I'd hate to trip over something, fall down, and have my beans sliced open on a piece of broken glass!
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Make that a plastic jar and it should work just fine. Except for the sloshin' but that could be a plus in bear country. At least they will hear you coming.

Wide mouth Nalgene bottle should work fine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I love a thin ham bean soup, poured over cornbread on a plate, better than almost anything. It needs to be thin enough to completely moisten the bread. The combination brings out the flavors. Without the cornbread....it's just bean soup, and for me, just an appetizer. And, it's true, that there are those who might be angry or aghast if onions aren't on the table. I prefer Jalapeņos. Always a special night when it's served. I sometimes can the beans my own lazy way. I put about 20% dry beans in a quart jar, water, whatever else and process. Mama might say it's not the right way to do it....it works for me.

I hears ya,
    A full load of coals for the dutch oven, makes 2 pies and a couple of pans of corn bread, might need to refresh the coals a little.
    I was thinking glass, as anything plastic is frowned upon at a rendezvous.

For packing, plastic would be better.

Cornbread in a cast skillet of course. Mmmm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I hate to tote glass anywhere. I know ya'll will find this hard to believe but I have been know to fall down and drop things. I know, I know. You're shocked, I can tell but it's true. Rare but true. The thought of fallin' on a jar full of beans would pain me in a couple of different ways. Otherwise, a sound idea.
    Totally agree with this! Came off my motorcycle with some shopping in my backpack(including a jar of pickles) the jar broke as I landed on my back, punctured the backpack, my leathers and I had 24 stitches! the vinegar was most eye watering. Moral of story.. don't carry glass about!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by wychwood View Post
    Totally agree with this! Came off my motorcycle with some shopping in my backpack(including a jar of pickles) the jar broke as I landed on my back, punctured the backpack, my leathers and I had 24 stitches! the vinegar was most eye watering. Moral of story.. don't carry glass about!

Motorcycle...

Leathers...

..I think I just got a whole new mental picture, of you, in my head! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Motorcycle...

Leathers...

..I think I just got a whole new mental picture, of you, in my head! LOL
    I've got a tattoo too!but I'm not telling where I am after all a lady
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Now how about this?
    Put beans in a glass jar, maybe 2 qt, fill with water, carry in pack or just set around camp till lunch.
    I was planing on doing that on my next long trip, exect with a wide mouth nalgene like crash said.

Whenever I make beans I usually do a mix of half pintos and half white northern beans. Slow cook them in the crok pot all day, fix a skillet of corn bread. I guess outdoors you could substitute the crock pot for a dutch oven though.

Oh yeah, and ChowChow is a must around here. I've been known to susbstitute a couple packets of relish on the trail though, not as good but it'll do. I also like to crumble up cornbread into my beans too.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Now how about this?
    It will still do better if you put them in a non-breakable jar the night before. I prefer a leftover ham bone over salt pork, but use what you want. Add an onion (quartered), black pepper and a can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilies. Hang the pot over the coals or better yet put them in a Dutch Oven at lunch and cook (simmer) until supper time(keep checking to make sure they don't get dry, add hot water as needed). Add Mexican cornbread and you have a fine meal.

Quote Originally Posted by wychwood View Post
    I've got a tattoo too!but I'm not telling where I am after all a lady
    I.....you......I.......I......uh...... LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"