Thread: trioxane

Default trioxane

Anyone ever use trioxane fuel tabs? I was wondering when they burn, does the fuel stay solid or does it melt. I was thinking of using a piece of aluminum foil (already in my kit) bent to shape to hold the fuel if it did.

I don't plan on cooking with it but I keep a stick in my "on me at all times emergency kit" for use as a fire starter. I'm thinking I can just break a little piece off and use the stick several times to start fires if I need to. I also have some tinder tabs as well in my kit for fire starter but picked up a couple of boxes of trioxane tabs at the Military surplus store for a little redundancy.

Trioxene is good stuff but if it is exposed to air long term it degrades. I rarely cook with it but I do carry it as an emergency fire starter in the winter. It works great for this, just plunk down a bar, fire it up and build a fire lay on top of it. It is very forgiving and easy to do with numb, cold, wet hands.

It doesn't melt like wax it just burns away and gets smaller. It does produce unpleasant fumes so don't use it in an enclosed shelter. It does not soil your cooking pot with soot. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

I've used it. It works well, and as Mac said - it stinks. I prefer Esbit fuel over it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I've used it. It works well, and as Mac said - it stinks. I prefer Esbit fuel over it.
    The trioxain is supposed to burn hotter and easier to light than Esbit fuel, but I've never tested it to find out. I like the trioxain tabs just because they are flat and individually foil packaged and fit nicely in my pocket kit.

I've never used Trioxane but Esbit burns at 1400 F and lights easily.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have not had a problem lighting either one. I couldn't tell a difference (if there was one) in the amount of time it took to boil water. Something I haven't tried (but will) is scraping a little and hitting it with a spark from a fire steel - like you might with Wetfire Tinder.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I love Trioxane. IT's never failed me when starting a fire, and I've never had to use an entire tablet. I usually break off a hald or even a third. It burns long and hot. Easily lights wet tinder and twigs. I've been in the middle of the snow at night, and all I had to do was clear out a little patch big enough for a fire, put some twigs on the trioxane and light it, simple as that. THere's also a nice little stove that's made to hold trioxane in it and it'll hold just about any sized pot or pan above it and cook anything inside.
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

I can light Trioxane with my firesteel, but I have never tried to light Esbit with it. Nor have I tried to light a wetfire with a firesteel either. I probably should try to do that one of these days whenever I am looking for something to do.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

VT - if you shave a little bit into a pile it'll work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've used both Trioxane and Hexamine and I prefer the hexamine. The Hexamine is more stabile, never had any shrinkage with it once opened to the air. They both light just fine with a spark from my fire steel (I shave a little bit of the center of the tab)
    I know what hunts you.

MMhmMmmm

I've tested the majority of them, and probably have spares if anyone wants me to send them any PM me postage only.

Trioxene, Esbit, Off-Brand Hexamine, etc.

Trioxene melted my tinfoil wind screen. It's awesome!

Trioxene is fricken awesome and if you are going to use a a fuel that puts off poison I'd use Trioxene. I keep Trioxene in my kits over Esbit/knock-offs for that reason and the esbit / knock-offs crumble and can make a big mess, the Trioxene package I've found to be a lot stronger.

Wet Fire (I think that's the name) is nice though because it burns FLOATING on water
    Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    if you are going to use a a fuel that puts off poison I'd use Trioxene.
    Is that what you meant to say? Triox puts off poison? I'm not challenging or being critical, just trying to understand your intent.

You are correct on the name. Wet Fire Tinder.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

MMhmMmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Is that what you meant to say? Triox puts off poison? I'm not challenging or being critical, just trying to understand your intent.

You are correct on the name. Wet Fire Tinder.
    Here's one reference I found with a quick search.

NOTE: These fuel tabs contain metaformaldehyde which is toxic and releases formaldehyde gas (also toxic) when it decomposes. This fuel is toxic despite the many websites that claim theirs are "nontoxic". You shouldn't eat without first washing your hands after handling this fuel and the fumes aren't much fun either.
    I know there are more reviews / info out there too.

I believe some Esbit or others like it also release a poisonous gas too.

Trioxane is cheap and works good I got a case of it, awesome fire starter If you want to play with some let mek now.
    Mountain Man

Thanks! I agree. I just thought it was a bit humorous the way it was worded. Triox, from all that I've read, is not a terribly safe product. You do have to wash your hands after handling and you do want to ensure it does not contaminate food. That's the reason I don't use it.

Esbit and Wet Fire Tinder do not have those same warnings and are much safer to use.

MMhmMmmm

Thanks! I agree. I just thought it was a bit humorous the way it was worded. Triox, from all that I've read, is not a terribly safe product. You do have to wash your hands after handling and you do want to ensure it does not contaminate food. That's the reason I don't use it.

Esbit and Wet Fire Tinder do not have those same warnings and are much safer to use.
    I don't use either to cook with I just keep triox for a fire starter if I have to light some wet tinder or I can't find small enough tinder

I may have to make an esbit stove kit though for my car to heat up some water for my MH I still have the stoves and esbits/hexamine from testing!

I hope to get my complete review/test/write-up online soon it's only been 2 or 3 years since I did it... haha.
    Mountain Man

I prefer Trioxane over Esbit. It's easier to fragment for multiple uses, slimmer profile, catches a spark easier, and a lot cheaper in my area. Esbit is around $8-12 for a dozen, while I can get 3 trox blocks for 60 cents.

For my needs Trioxane was the way to go, but in a pinch I'll use anything.
    Surviving the Fellini Kroger since 1993

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've never used Trioxane but Esbit burns at 1400 F and lights easily.
    I'll bring you some Trioxane Rick when we meet at the Indiana Rendezvous.

I use the stuff all the time, it works great and is pretty cheap.

Though I'm still using up my stash from my years in the Marine Corps, ending in October of 1991. Tax payers dollars put to good use!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com