Thread: stingrays

Default stingrays

A few days back I went camping on an island, during my stay there i speared a stingray. I know they use the wings to make fake scallips (spelling?) sometimes so i figured it would taste pretty good. They are pretty much nasty. I don't recomend them for survival food unless you are really hungry in which case they are easy to spear. I suppose you could also use them for bait. Just dig out a little cove on the calm side of the Island and cut up the stingray a bit before puttin it in there, it should attract a few blue crabs which are decent eating. once the crabs are in just put sand over the entrence to the cove, they will still be able to get out but it will slow them down some. Then just start filling in the cove slowly or if you can throw a big pile of sand right on top of a crab, they are easier to catch that way. Another method would be to tie a chunk of bait, (something dead works best) to a string and put it down in the cracks in the rocks, when the crabs start to grab at it slowly pull it out into the open, the crabs arn't to bright so they will go after it most the time. (unless you pull it to fast) Then just scoup em up with a net. I imagine the stingrays barb could be used for something but just make sure you don't get stuck with that.
    The big stingrays might taste better...

Found this link for stingray recipes.

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=stingray

They seem to taste better dried which has a tendency to take a lot of the yuck flavor out, I suppose. Dried and smoked is probably better.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Galler...lStingray.html

Basic stingray info at the above link. Hammerhead sharks find them particularly tasty. Mmmmm.
    Last edited by Bowcatz; 03-17-2007 at 05:01 PM.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

THANKYOU! thats awesome, there are a lot of stingrays around here and they are easy to kill so this info will prolly come in handy. OH just a heads up, if anyone is goin to try an spear one you should have 2 spears, it works out better that way but i'm sure yall will figure that out... if you ever spear one. OH also put a barb in your spear.

What is the stingray flesh like texture wise? I mean is it like fish in texture or chicken? I am not talking taste, I am talking what does the flesh look like? Chicken, fish, and beef have a particular look and texture that identifies them as such meats.

it's probably more like squid or a meat like that in textuer.

Have no idea what squid meat looks like. Looks tender though from what I have seen on cooking shows.

ive used squid meat for bating with crabs worked fairly well but man did it smell