Thread: My First Spoon

Default My First Spoon

I'll admit that for the longest time I didn't get the fascination with wooden spoons. It seemed like every time anyone got out to the bush that they felt compelled to resolve the nagging lack of cutlery as if their life depended on it.

I think I get it now. It isn't about the spoon, it's about the knife and the hand and the brain and the wood. So here it is, my very first spoon.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I don't own any hook knives so I did this one with my re-handled Mora #1 and some sandpaper. Poplar finished with Grapeseed oil.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

It looks perfect.

How long did it take to finish?
    -Jonesy

Excellent job. Every piece of wood has something inside waiting to get out. It's just up to you to bring it out. Very nice!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Very nice Mac! Looks like you have some time in that spoon! How long do you figure you spent?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

That is a great piece of craftsmanship. Isn't it something that a simple tool as a spoon can look so dang nice, and hand made to boot. Great job pict!
    Last edited by panch0; 07-24-2009 at 03:30 PM.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Poplar is fairly soft wood. I had a piece split from a fireplace log that was about seven inches long and triangular in cross section. It didn't seem to do for anything but I could see a spoon in there.

I started it Wednesday evening at about 6:00 and came inside when the skeeters were arriving and the light was fading and finished it up in the basement. Aside from the sanding maybe three hours. Very relaxing. Mac

Very nice work. I know you said it is your first spoon, but your talent in working with wood shows.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

WOW awsome work there Pict.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Gorgeous work Pict! I'd like to try something like that, but just am not sure I have the patience!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockgod1619 View Post
    Gorgeous work Pict! I'd like to try something like that, but just am not sure I have the patience!
    There's one way to find out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nice job w/ the spoon!

Beautiful work.

Good looking spoon, you did a fantastic job.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Right you are, Crash! I'll have a good bit of free time this next week and will find a good piece of wood to work with. Maybe I'll have to change my screen name to "Woodgod." I don't know though, that could make things hard...

Hey Pict, that is a mighty fine spoon!! I just don't see how you carved the inside bottom of the spoon... so how DID you manage that w/ a straight bladed knife??? Scraping???

Man, that looks great! *as he wonders how much Cap'n Crunch it will hold*
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by pocomoonskyeyes View Post
    Hey Pict, that is a mighty fine spoon!! I just don't see how you carved the inside bottom of the spoon... so how DID you manage that w/ a straight bladed knife??? Scraping???
    If you notice the bottom of the spoon is fairly flat. I drilled a hole with the knife and kept making it wider and deeper. I used the Mora to carve around the inside and had to score and chip out the bottom. That left the bottom rough which I sanded with strips of 100 grit and finer.

The only thing I did that struck me as novel was that I carved the bowl first about 1/3 down the length of the material to allow myself a hand hold on both ends. That allowed me to hold it either way with the bowl always above my hand and the knife working upwards and away from it. I only did the exterior cuts of the spoon once I had a deep depression of the bowl already carved out.

I think the frustrating part is that it seems most people start by roughing out a spoon shape with a handle and knob of wood on the end and then try to hollow the knob. I just started by creating a hollow in a triangular slab of Poplar and then made a spoon shape around it. If you leave enough wood on both ends of the hollow you can hold it either way. Anyway, that's what I did.

Mac