Thread: Living in the UK

Default Living in the UK

Hi there, well I'll make this brief - I'm new to the whole survivalist movement, but have recently become more and more interested in camping and living in the great outdoors. I've been a city boy for most of my life and having seen a few members of my immediate family pick up sticks and make a go of things up in the hills of derbyshire and the southern uplands of scotland, I'm eager for a change. Just here to get the basics and start researching all I need, I've been lurking the forum for a week or so and I have to say that the information here is fantastic (except gun related topics, as here in the UK we have very stringent laws regarding firearms as I'm sure you know). Planning another camping trip with some friends for next week and really looking forward to trying out some woodland techniques.

More power to you.

Blog Entries
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

Welcome ftom Kentucky, lots of good info here.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

Welcome home. It's good to see you plan to get your boots dirty. Since you will be camping, let me suggest you make a checklist of things you want to take with you. There are a number of web sites that offer checklists and you can use one of them as a template. Try:

http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Checklists.htm

Or

http://camping.about.com/od/campingg.../blchklist.htm

Use the list to ensure you don't forget anything as you pack up for your trip. Then, when you arrive back home, you can use that same list to determine if you took items you really didn't need/use or if you intentionally left items off the list that would have been handy to have.

After a few trips and a few times of using your checklist you should have your gear down to just the items you need to have with you. Since all of us are different, we often have different requirements about what we take along.

And don't forget the really important items like medications, eye glasses (and toilet paper).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wow, thanks for the advice - I have a small list (small because of the amount of equipment that I actually own ) already but there's a ton of stuff I'd simply disregarded. Time get the finances together and see what I need to buy next. Thoroughly exciting

Blog Entries

Hello and welcome fellow Brit! You'l find all the info you need here, these guys know A LOT!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Howdy and welcome
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Welcome to the campfire. Don't worry about the gun thing. You can survive without one. Guns just make it easier to shoot holes in things. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Welcome!!

It is a great place to relax and learn...maybe a laugh or two.
    -Jonesy

Welcome, if you need any help, just ask!
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Welcome!!

It is a great place to relax and learn...maybe a laugh or two.
    Or ten or twelve... I get more laughs here than anywhere

Blog Entries

Cool Hi & Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Pup View Post
    Wow, thanks for the advice - I have a small list (small because of the amount of equipment that I actually own ) already but there's a ton of stuff I'd simply disregarded. Time get the finances together and see what I need to buy next. Thoroughly exciting
    Were you ever in the Scouts? If you can scrounge up an old Scout Handbook somewhere it's a great place to start!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Were you ever in the Scouts? If you can scrounge up an old Scout Handbook somewhere it's a great place to start!
    It's a first edition. It just came out when Sarge was a scout.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Sarge was a scout so long ago they only called them sco. The U and the T hadn't been invented yet.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm thinking Rick needs to go to the corner till Sarge decides his punishment. Hello and welcome.

Welcome to the forum... Hey sarge how about an excellent condition 1960 dated edition??

Welcome aboard.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Another really good camping resource that teaches some basic wilderness can be found in the link that was just removed. It's just basic stuff but if you are just getting started, it's nice to know how to build a campfire. That way you can cook the spam that I provide.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-06-2020 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Idiot Spammer