Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A level playing field

Default A level playing field

Just a couple questions. What would be wrong with knowing who has put you on their ignore list and who is in stealth mode?

I can understand the possible necessity for a mod to be in stealth mode.

Did somebody say something?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

On a serious note (I know, I know - hard to believe) The ignore feature allows individuals that tend to upset you (not you personally) to be put in a position that won't do that anymore. Kind of like a peace keeping tool. As far as invisible mode - some people like to read/post and not be seen - I'm sure they all have their reasons.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    On a serious note (I know, I know - hard to believe) The ignore feature allows individuals that tend to upset you (not you personally) to be put in a position that won't do that anymore. Kind of like a peace keeping tool. .
    So, are you saying it works both ways when someone puts you on their ignore list?

If you don't have the mentality to handle people here, how can you handle an emergency situating or any stressful situations that life will challenge you with?

I guess I should take Rick off this list. The big bully keeps making fun of my lumpy chair
    Last edited by oly; 07-26-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

No - If you place somebody on your ignore list you won't see any of their posts, but unless they place you on their ignore list they will still be able to read your posts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No - If you place somebody on your ignore list you won't see any of their posts, but unless they place you on their ignore list they will still be able to read your posts.
    Got it now. I was unclear.

Quote Originally Posted by oly View Post
    If you don't have the mentality to handle people here, how can you handle an emergency situating or any stressful situations that life will challenge you with?

I guess I should take Rick off this list. The big bully keeps making fun of my lumpy chair
    I'm sure your better than me in emergency situations.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I'm sure your better than me in emergency situations.
    I panic and run around in circles until I pass out then when I wake up, Im cool
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

The question still stands, can we know who has us on their ignore list?

Not unless they tell you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Not unless they tell you.
    Can you make it visible to those involved?

I wouldn't put anyone on my ignore list. For me it would be cowardly...
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Can you make it visible to those involved?
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. As a moderator I cannot tell if somebody has been placed on somebody elses ignore list.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I wouldn't put anyone on my ignore list. For me it would be cowardly...
    That's right! However, I'd like to know. If ya' know what I mean.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. As a moderator I cannot tell if somebody has been placed on somebody elses ignore list.
    Maybe that's what happened. The other 3,338 members are having a forum without us!

A lot of people sign up just to make browsing easier and to see the thumbnails that get posted. Some never post, some visit every now and then, some post a lot. Doesn't really have anything to do with the ignore feature.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It isn't available in the software. As Crash said, not even moderators can see who has who on their ignore list and the software doesn't let us change that. We can't change it at the user level and we can't change it at the moderator level.

If you think about, there's a pretty good reason vBulletin doesn't let you do that. Let's assume I could for a moment. So I log on to Who's Ignore and see that Crash has me on his ignore list. So I think, why that dirty so and so. And I end up flaming him (or vice versa). I can see that knowledge sparking no end to arguments and ill feelings.

As for Invisible Mode, I can site a couple of examples in which it IS good to use it. 1. In the past, we've had a member or two that would wait for specific ladies to log on them start PM'ing them. And PMing and PMing and ad infinitum. So the ladies simply began logging on in Invisible mode to avoid the head aches. Worked well. 2. If you are in a hurry, it's a nice option. If someone has sent you a PM but you truly don't have time to answer it then you can log in as Invisible, check what you need to check and leave. If you logged in as visible and they saw you were logged on and didn't bother to answer their PM they might get a bit upset thinking you were just ignoring them.

Moderators CAN see who is on in Invisible mode.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It isn't available in the software. As Crash said, not even moderators can see who has who on their ignore list and the software doesn't let us change that. We can't change it at the user level and we can't change it at the moderator level.

If you think about, there's a pretty good reason vBulletin doesn't let you do that. Let's assume I could for a moment. So I log on to Who's Ignore and see that Crash has me on his ignore list. So I think, why that dirty so and so. And I end up flaming him (or vice versa). I can see that knowledge sparking no end to arguments and ill feelings.

As for Invisible Mode, I can site a couple of examples in which it IS good to use it. 1. In the past, we've had a member or two that would wait for specific ladies to log on them start PM'ing them. And PMing and PMing and ad infinitum. So the ladies simply began logging on in Invisible mode to avoid the head aches. Worked well. 2. If you are in a hurry, it's a nice option. If someone has sent you a PM but you truly don't have time to answer it then you can log in as Invisible, check what you need to check and leave. If you logged in as visible and they saw you were logged on and didn't bother to answer their PM they might get a bit upset thinking you were just ignoring them.

Moderators CAN see who is on in Invisible mode.
    I got it. Thanks for the insight. Knowledge is ... well, forgetful.

Good. And please stop PMing all the ladies. Thank you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.