Thread: Trash Can Sheath

Default Trash Can Sheath

I really hate to throw things out that might prove useful at some point. The problem is the amount of space I have to store things is very limited. I had a old Rubbermaid trash can that had seen better days. The plastic on them is fairly thick, so decided to see how they would do for a poor mans knife sheath. Here are two that took about 15 minutes to make. I suppose the entre piece of plastic could be heated for a better fit (like Kydex). To ensure that the “welds” do not come undone a wrap of duct tape or paracord would probably fit the bill. They aren’t very good looking, but if you’re on a budget you can have a functional sheath for that knife you make.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

very creative and inventive, thanks for sharing.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I think i'll store that away for a later date, never know when it might come in handy!
    I know what hunts you.

Excellent Idea Crash!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

Cool Wow!

Way to go, Crash, another idea for an essential item, & now the Rubbermaid Garbage can just became a "multi-use" item: Dry storage, water-catch-all, & material for an emergency knife sheath!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Thats pretty cool and creative. I had never thought of that. Kinda reminds me of the rubber sheath that my Mora2000 came with. Nice job crash!
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

cool idea! they look really good! i dont know if you have a moisture problem where you live but some drainage holes should be handy at the bottom of your sheaths
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Now that is thinking outside the box. With a bit of work they can also be astheticaly pleasing. As is very good alternate. Thanks for sharing
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Great idea Crash.

Very cool Crash. Nice Job!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

I like those sheaths. Especially the reuse-ability thinking. It's this type of thinking in a survival situation that may get you out.

Nothing better than a Rubbermade knife. LOL. Nice job. Proof positive that leather and kydex are not the only materials that can be used for a sheath. Nive job!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Impresssive idea. I love it. Most specifically, I love the one with the entire rubbermade logo intact and showing right across the sheath. The look pretty durable too as long as the side welds are pretty sturdy.

Crash,, Am I tracking this correctly? You melted the material for the "weld" on the seams? It is a sturdy "weld"? Curious , because it seems too obvious . And the obvious sometimes bites me in the southern regions
    Last edited by Pal334; 07-19-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I did melt the plastic for the weld. The knife fits fairly tight, so especially at the top, I would not trust it to hold without reinforcing it. Maybe pop-rivets or small gromets, but duct tape would probably secure it nicely. I might play around with a few more and maybe try to mold the plastic a bit with heat, secure the seams with a duct tape wrap and then cover it with a paracord weave..........or I may just take a nap.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Crash is there anyway you can post a pattern to use when cutting the material?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sage - I didn't use one, other than lay the knife on the plastic and trace around the profile, then cut it a bit wider with a pair of scissors - made sure I left some sticking out the top to cut belt loops.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel