Thread: Four eyes isn't enough. Perhaps six?

Default Four eyes isn't enough. Perhaps six?

I was thinking about things in my survival kit today (always a dangerous propisition... me thinking that is) and I pondered about something that I feel I have overlooked for a long time.

Extra Glasses.

Without extra eyes, if I lose my current pair then I can no longer use my rifle or handgun, I can no longer spot small game, I can no longer see landmarks in the distance clearly, my ability to see rescuers and others in the woods becomes compromised.

If i were to lose my glasses, my life in the woods would be quite a bit harder. I am going to an eye appointment next month and would like to get another set. Anyone have recomendations on some prescription ready outdoor glasses? Wiley X seem to be a popular brand right now.

What say you? Are spare sets of spectacles sporadically sported in survival scenarios and situations?

Good thinking. It maybe better to get a spare set or two with the simple basic frames. The ones we called birth control devices in the military . That way you can get a couple sets of spares for the cost of something like the Wiley X. THen later get the higher quality ones? Just a thought
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Yep - spare glasses (and contact lenses) are a must with my eyesight. I've read some reviews, that while not all positive - the majority of them seem to be about this discount eyewear place. http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php I haven't purchased anything from them, so can't give you any first hand experience regarding them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Excellent point. I keep my old scratched up glasses for that purpose, better than nothing
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

When I was in high school I was really big into swimming. I got a pair of RX goggles. now I use them as my backup pair. I figure I would look like an idiot but I would still be usable. You should also thro in one of those little tool kits, I imagine your bob has room for one.
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

That is just a given, wether you need glasses or precription meds. You should have it in your kit. You want to also look into the military style glasses with a strap that goes around your head instead of the rigid ear thingies.
    I know what hunts you.

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaen View Post
    Extra Glasses.

I think that's a damn smart idea! (Bifocal wearer here.)
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Reminds me of an old B&W Twilight Zone episode, I think starring Burgess Meredith.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

"That's not fair, there was time now"
    I know what hunts you.

Good thinking on your part. I am gunna have to get some too!

Seems like something like these adjustable glasses would be great. Even if your prescription changes over time, you can adjust them to meet your needs.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Actually, there are a number things you need to consider along this front.

First, are you near or far sighted?

If you are nearsighted (can see close but not far) then you are sort of locked into prescription glasses.

However, if you are far sighted (can see far but not close) like me then cheapo's from any drug store or grocery can serve as an excellent second or third pair. I have prescription tri focals that let me see up close but so do the cheapos.

For far sighted folks, a magnifying lens, like your Fresnel lens (you DO have one, right?) can help.

You also need to consider one of those cheap eyeglass repair kits. They have a little magnifying lens, a screwdriver and a couple of different sized screws.

Oh, yea. Duct tape, too. Just sayin'......

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.