Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food for horses?

i just finnished picking up another 45 bales of first vut hay(lots of timmothy) gives me about 100 plus am getting another 100 of second cut(lots of alphalfa,good protein)
    i have six acres of pasture for my two and could use more to keep the grass down
    i also feed a couple of flakes a day during the summer just to keep them used to the hay come winter, don't want any problems from a sudden switch they also get half a cup of grain each with carrots in am and same with apples in pm. they are free range barn door always open and graze at will. the mare would like to stay in the barn full time but the gelding hates being locked up even at -40 last winter he still plays outside w/o any blankets, not bad for a couple of spoiled thoroubreds(not my idea) i am in the market for a good quarter horse.
    when i lived in pheonix i worked at the ponderosa stable(yes i said ponderosa)they also own south mountain stables and across from us was alll western stables. i used to love doing the south mountain trail at night to t-bone steak house on s-19th ave. what an adjustment learning about how to feed horses here and keep them over winter
    i like this thread nice to be able to read about others horses.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Geez, apparently there are a lot of folks who used to live in az. Crazy. I was hoping I would run into more people with BOV (horses) on here, I know a few have that idea tho. I wish I had that kind of pasture. You are so lucky!