Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protection

Default Protection

I have a Black bear running lose in my area and was wondering how to protect my self if i came across it.i know a gun would be a good answer but i am thirteen and dont carry ruger revolvers.
    What you seek you never get, so why do we seek peace - unknown

Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me

Lose your king and you are without a ruler. Lose your army and you have lost all that you had. Your family, your protection, and your hope. - unknown

Banned

the highest percentage oleo capsicum bear pepper spray you can buy legally where you live. It should be at least 10%. Try to get higher %. Never friviolously use bear spray on a person as it will really mess them up badly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toughsord View Post
    I have a Black bear running lose in my area and was wondering how to protect my self if i came across it.i know a gun would be a good answer but i am thirteen and dont carry ruger revolvers.
    Bring a friend along who can't run as fast as you can run. Ask Rick to join you.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Bring a friend along who can't run as fast as you can run. Ask Rick to join you.
    That's just wrong. It's funny as he!!, but it's still wrong!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have bears in the yard several times per week. Black Bears & Grizzly Bears. I just yell at them, and throw rocks if necessary, but generally just yelling at them, and running toward them, gets them moving. What ever you do, "DO NOT" run away from any bear.

There is nothing funny about that! If I could actually outrun a 13 year old, now that would be funny.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There is nothing funny about that! If I could actually outrun a 13 year old, now that would be funny.
    Awww, Rick! I wasn't trying to be funny! I was dead serious.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I believe I could out run a bear if I happened across one, due to the fact he would be slipping in the S#@! he scared out of me.
    Seriously tho I would go with the O.C bear spray until your old enough and been properly trained to use a firearm.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I sort of liked the one guys approach of taking the bear on with a knife. That could work. Might not but it could.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I sort of liked the one guys approach of taking the bear on with a knife. That could work. Might not but it could.
    If he's with me it would. It would give me a chance to get away while the bear was laughing. What was it he said????? He may win, but I'm going to put a serious hurting on him.........yeah, OK.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default wweeellllllllllll

you probaly could outrun me. im not the fastest kid on the football feild but put me isn some backwoods and i could outrun alot of stuff

Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me

Lose your king and you are without a ruler. Lose your army and you have lost all that you had. Your family, your protection, and your hope. - unknown

If you're ever lost in bear country with absolutely no other option, a long spear type implement works great. Aside from that (And considering you actually DO have other options) I much more highly suggest the bear spray. Just don't go up trees trying to get away. They stand too tall on their hinds, and they can climb.

I'd be bait!
    "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.”

— Thoreau

A spear? This should be fun. Popcorn anyone?

Hey, it's a better option than a knife.

With butter?????
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No.....it's just a longer option than a knife. You still wind up getting eaten.

Default i get a bad feeling

ok now i feel scared to use any optoins since there is three post saying people are going to enjoy it when i get eaten

First, IF you have an escaped bear my guess is Fish and Game is going to be pretty quick to corral it. Second, your odds of running into it are pretty remote. I doubt it want's to see you any more than you do it. Third, Hoosierarcher told you to get bear spray and Hope lives with them every day so I'd pay real close attention to what he says.

Blog Entries

Cool And...

Whatever you do don't shoot it with your Daisy...that would just make it mad! He'd be using the splinters from the stock as a toothpick to pry little bits of Toughsord out of it's teeth!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin