Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: im new

"Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me"

So, despite typos, do you REALLY believe this? Of course, asking for help is one thing, listening is totally different. I just spent a week with my scouts, a bunch of 12-13 year olds. One thing I learned, 12-13 year olds are very stubborn and don't like to listen. I taught them all how to start a fire without matches. They all did it. The next day it took one of them 3 matches to start a fire. I asked why and he had forgotten what I taught him. I showed them how to make a debris shelter. I showed them good spots to make their own. I left them alone, and came back later to see they were doing it their way, the hard way. The shelters were too big and would take forever to finish. Kids are like that. I expect them to fight the system and learn to listen. The difference is that I set up safeguards to that when they fail, they don't die. Do you have those safeguards?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Cool Go F.M.!

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    "Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me"

So, despite typos, do you REALLY believe this? Of course, asking for help is one thing, listening is totally different. I just spent a week with my scouts, a bunch of 12-13 year olds. One thing I learned, 12-13 year olds are very stubborn and don't like to listen. I taught them all how to start a fire without matches. They all did it. The next day it took one of them 3 matches to start a fire. I asked why and he had forgotten what I taught him. I showed them how to make a debris shelter. I showed them good spots to make their own. I left them alone, and came back later to see they were doing it their way, the hard way. The shelters were too big and would take forever to finish. Kids are like that. I expect them to fight the system and learn to listen. The difference is that I set up safeguards to that when they fail, they don't die. Do you have those safeguards?
    Right on! Check out this Blog I posted some time back!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...blog.php?b=103

Also, maybe now you'll understand the purpose of my "Einstien" signature line!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMe
    Kids are like that.
    Yes, we are. I doubt there is a trip I make to the woods that there isn't a "lesson learned" moment or a reinforcement of some knowledge. It's usually because I failed to do something right or just wasn't thinking. Even when I KNOW better. Some times I look back over my should just to see if dad is standing there smiling.

Saturday was just a nasty misty day. It didn't rain hard but is drizzled for several hours. We were walking and talking about gather tinder in the rain. I pointed out some dry areas under some pines that had been protected and still had dry needles. I also pointed out the underside of the limbs on a spruce and two birch trees. I even peeled some of the bark off and crumbed it in my hand. As we walked back to camp I talked about gathering materials as you walk along and keep them in your pocket. That way you have dry tinder once you make camp. It was a great time.

When we got back to camp, I started to make a fire. Guess what? All that talking I did and I didn't bother to gather ANY OF IT!!! What a dolt! Fortunately, I had banked the coals and was able to get a fire going because they were still good. Otherwise.....(DOH!)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by toughsord View Post
    im not being stubborn. its just that some of your ideas are not available si i say thtat i cant do them so i get an idea that i can. and it is because of my freind that im putting myself in greater danger. i want to accomplish wat he didnt. but in my own way
    If He was your friend he surely wouldn't want you to endanger yourself,friends aren't like that,not real ones anyway. Why don't you honor his memory by doing what a friend would want you to, and seek guidance. Everyone here is saying the same thing but you refuse to listen. a saying I once heard-- " if one person tells me I walk like a duck,they may be mistaken. If two people tell me I walk like a duck I might want to look at it. If three or more people tell me I walk like a duck then chances are I walk like a duck" Several people have said "Join The boy scouts" there is plenty to learn.
    I too was a Boy Scout and this is where I REALLY started learning about Survival,I got so INTO it that the whole troop took it up and pretty soon we were ALL learning(that means Scout Leaders too).
    I went on to join the Army and on one exercise I became a victim of Heat Exhaustion, my whole body just shut down and quit on me. We had all been trained in what to look for yet we all missed the signs. Mistakes happen and yes they can be VERY dangerous, The point is -We must all learn from our mistakes or we are doomed to repeat them. Learn what happened and how to prevent it. Don't shut out one of the most valuable resources you have available to you.
    Sorry for the long post but Jake has me really concerned.
    OH YEAH !! WELCOME Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Do you have those safeguards?
    yes. i never leave a day of walking distance from my property. i always alert family when i go on trips. i always carry flares. i always take precations. and i carry two cell phones.

and im not joining the boy scouts. i just dont want to. thanks for the advice on it but im not going to join. it would just be unconvienant
    What you seek you never get, so why do we seek peace - unknown

Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me

Lose your king and you are without a ruler. Lose your army and you have lost all that you had. Your family, your protection, and your hope. - unknown

Blog Entries

Cool I see...

yes. i never leave a day of walking distance from my property. i always alert family when i go on trips. i always carry flares. i always take precations. and i carry two cell phones.

and im not joining the boy scouts. i just dont want to. thanks for the advice on it but im not going to join. it would just be unconvienant
    1st, cell phones can have problems, like dead zones & dead batteries, 2nd, accidents usually happen within a short distance of home, 3rd, unconvienient is not a word, "inconvienient" is. 4th, shame on your folks for letting you do this at 13! 5th, the Scouts are probably better off without you! 6th, you seem to sound like you already know it all, so why are you asking for advice?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

thats alot of numbers

Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me

Lose your king and you are without a ruler. Lose your army and you have lost all that you had. Your family, your protection, and your hope. - unknown

Blog Entries

thats alot of numbers
    Yeah. 6. That's alot of numbers. Probably higher than you've ever counted before, huh?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Guys, isn't this seeming all too familiar again? The hubris, knowledge of everything, asking quesions, but unwilling to listen to advice?

How many shelters can you build again jagjj?
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

huh?? what you mean endurance

Blog Entries

Cool It's like this...

huh?? what you mean endurance
    He's implying that you're an immature know-it-all trying to impress those around you that have more outdoors knowledge in their little toe as you do in all your body! He may be suggesting that you're either a Numpty or a Troll, & if he's not, I am.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    He's implying that you're an immature know-it-all trying to impress those around you that have more outdoors knowledge in their little toe as you do in all your body! He may be suggesting that you're either a Numpty or a Troll, & if he's not, I am.
    wasnt any sugar coating on that one, gotta love it.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

If the world gives you lemons.......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Just imagine if Sarge wasn't such a creampuff.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Just imagine if Sarge wasn't such a creampuff.
    or in a foul mood cause someone ate his last creampuff
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Default okay then i guess im out

okay then ill stay off the forum. see you guys on another forum maybe. Bye

Toughsword

One day your gonna realize that the ones that were the hardest on you were the ones that actually gave a damn about you. If we sat here and let you believe what you are doing is right, we would be wrong for that. These guys have experience a plenty. Take me I am 36yrs. 6'2" 210lbs. and a cocky strong willed cowboy. But I know that and because of that I know that I am prone to try things I really shouldn't. An example would be trying to jump from a tree and kill a wild hawg with my fixed blade. As much as I fantasize and beleive I can do it. It is the guys like you met on here that keep me from doing something that stupid. There is a reason to respect your elders and their knowledge. Somewhere on here theres a guy nearly twice my age that tried to do some of the stupid things I think I can do and he wears a scar from it for life. That is why you need their experience and why you should place a high value on having an opportunity to learn from guys like this forum is full of. Apologize and let them know your prepared to listen and there isn't one guy on here that won't be more than happy to help you learn the skills you will need to become the survival expert you want to be.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

okay then ill stay off the forum. see you guys on another forum maybe. Bye
    Goodbye, Toughsord, and Good Luck. From the tenor of your posts, luck will be the only thing you may have going for you.

BTW - There are no other forums, just Wanna' Be's.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

You can do it, CS. I know you can. Set the time and date and we'll all stop by to cheer you on. We'll get some popcorn and some brews and make a real party of it. I think the audience cheers will go something like.....

"Hey, ya'll. He's getting ready!!!"
    (Loud applause)
    "There he goes!!"
    "OOOOoooooo!"
    "Ooohhhhh!!"
    "Ooowww!!"
    "That's gonna leave a mark."
    "Look!! Pig's on top!"
    "OOOwwwwww!!!!"
    "We, uh, need to mosey along now."

Cowboy hollars as crowd is leaving..... Ya'll ain't stayin' for the pig pickin'? I got some good oak wood that is gonna finish this sucker off! Ouch durn he did it again! That's it for you.... Hawg sqeeeaaaall!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson