Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: im new

Welcome to the board. I wish I had a place like this when I was starting out. We made some serious mistakes early on. That's what got me into making my first survival kit, simple avoidance of suffering. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Talking i have been

ive been prepared for a while. i have had my survival kit 2 years ago.
    What you seek you never get, so why do we seek peace - unknown

Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me

Lose your king and you are without a ruler. Lose your army and you have lost all that you had. Your family, your protection, and your hope. - unknown

Welcome, young 'un. Do a check on your basic skills - physical fitness, navigation with and without a map and/or compass, wild sources of food/water/shelter, and basic wilderness medicine. I'm a newbie here, too - and we all have something to share. You're far ahead of your peers - fight the good fight!

Default yea

well i like to be active but im aware that im just getting in the way with all my post where im only part way sure of what im talkn bout

Im ready for any challange that is put before me. If i cant best it i will swallow my pride and ask for help, even from an enemy. - me

Lose your king and you are without a ruler. Lose your army and you have lost all that you had. Your family, your protection, and your hope. - unknown

Read and Study, Toughsord. Put your boots on and get them dirty. Knowledge and experience are the two best friends you will ever have with you in the woods. It's okay to post questions, asking questions is often how we learn things. But you also need to read the many, many threads that are on here as well as any good outdoor books you can get your hands on. Then practice the things that are talked about until you can become proficient at them. It just takes time and patience. Mostly patience.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

13 huh,...I say join a scout troop. They will help give you some hands on stuff, and an excuse to get away from mom and dad.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Default no

ya i lost a freind of mine that was on a boy scout hike. i dont really like boy scouts. but i do get on just about every site and book i can find. and if i want to get away from my parents i can just take a hike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toughsord View Post
    ya i lost a freind of mine that was on a boy scout hike.
    Really? When and where did this happen?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Cool Hey!

ya i lost a freind of mine that was on a boy scout hike. i dont really like boy scouts. but i do get on just about every site and book i can find. and if i want to get away from my parents i can just take a hike
    Don't knock the Scouts, T.S.!(some initials!) They can be a great group of people! I've been on may a Scout hike & we never lost anybody; even though a couple of times we were really trying hard!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Really? When and where did this happen?
    tar hollow in ohio. it happened a year ago. look up payden sommers and there is an article.

Blog Entries

Cool I found it; but...

So what? What's that got to do with the Scouting program? How many Scouts didn't die on that hike? Survival is about staying alive, & all the others made it through ok. Remember that in any group survival situation there can be fatalities; & they may be friends or relatives. Remember when I was talking about that Soccer team? Well they knew the people who died that wound up being food for them. That's what survival is, not finding "tasty" food, but making it through the other side no matter what the odds are. Scouting is a great program, & it has room for people who want to learn & teach. It will give you a valid platform for what you are hoping to do. What, you don't think you could "survive" it? You could become an asset to the whole troop if you do it right! We can all help you as well, but you're going to need "hands on" instruction & nobody on this site can help you with that. Think about it.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Remember that in any group survival situation there can be fatalities
    YES BUT NOT AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD BOY!!! when they saw something was wrong they shouldve done something. they shouldve stopped and turned around when he was feeling sick. NOW I DONT HAVE A BEST FREIND BECAUSE THE SCOUT LEADER FAILED TO SEE THE SYMPTONS OF HEAT EXHASTION!!

Blog Entries

Cool So?

YES BUT NOT AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD BOY!!! when they saw something was wrong they shouldve done something. they shouldve stopped and turned around when he was feeling sick. NOW I DONT HAVE A BEST FREIND BECAUSE THE SCOUT LEADER FAILED TO SEE THE SYMPTONS OF HEAT EXHASTION!!
    Yes but why "throw the baby out with the bathwater?" One group made a mistake, you're using that as a reason NOT to get the instruction you need. How many Tropps went on hikes that year that didn't have any deaths? Why look at the one & ignore the others? I know you were just joking when you asked about becoming a moderator; but with Scouts you have a chance to become somethng even better. At 13 you 1st need the home training that your parents should be giving you. At school you should be listening to your teachers. However, one thing I see here is that your life, young as it is, lacks structure & dicipline. You've become an independent person lacking those things that you so desperately need. You say you wander the outdoors killing animals with your BB gun when you don't need the food. Were you on that hike? Was there a trained medical person with them? How come there weren't more deaths or near-deaths? Understand this Jake; CRAP HAPPENS EVERYWHERE & ANYWHERE! Or, as I like to say, in the land of Murphy there is but one law! I don't know what that kid's physical make-up was like, but maybe his parents did & shouldn't of let him go. But excuses are like armpits, everybody's got a couple & they usually don't smell to good. On this site many here are in the Scouting program as leaders. In any given survival situation they would be my 1st choice to be with. Once again, you need the training; so find a good troop & join. We'll help you all that we can. Think about it.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

its not hat im im not disiplined. i hunt for food and i use the animal. i eat the meat. i tan the pelt . and what i dont use i use as a lure. my hunting has a reason. and as for your theory on the troop i didnt say i hated them i just said that they arent for me. i have all these books and YOU GUYS to teach me wat they would. im not into organiztions. this gives me a chance to be independet. im simply preparing for my life ahead. you have to understand that it is an entirely different scenario for an adult that has lost a loved one that he has spent much time with, and with me it is i lost the only freind that i could see often and stay the night at summer and school tme. i lost my freind when he was still young so we did not get to enjoy things such as driving or sports. i understand whats going on. but me not joining boy scouts is what i choose.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

its not hat im im not disiplined. i hunt for food and i use the animal. i eat the meat. i tan the pelt . and what i dont use i use as a lure. my hunting has a reason. and as for your theory on the troop i didnt say i hated them i just said that they arent for me. i have all these books and YOU GUYS to teach me wat they would. im not into organiztions. this gives me a chance to be independet. im simply preparing for my life ahead. you have to understand that it is an entirely different scenario for an adult that has lost a loved one that he has spent much time with, and with me it is i lost the only freind that i could see often and stay the night at summer and school tme. i lost my freind when he was still young so we did not get to enjoy things such as driving or sports. i understand whats going on. but me not joining boy scouts is what i choose.
    Whatever, just remember, we can only help so much, & nothing "hands on".
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Default of course

yes i understand. and for stuff you cant provide, i will find away to do

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

yes i understand. and for stuff you cant provide, i will find away to do
    That's an immature viewpoint. You demonstrate quite a paradox here; 1st you say that you're angry at the Scout leaders for letting your friend die, yet you are willing to place yourself in an even worse situation than he was in; & that is going out on your own at only 13 years of age without adult guidance & support. You also say that you want our advice, yet reject it when given, like you just did with our advice about the scouts. I, for one, will not support such an irrational, immature, & irresponsible attitude. As most already know on this forum, I am a strong advocate of the Scouting movement. I've served as an assistant Scoutmaster & am a former Explorer Scout as well. I am even considering writing a survival book titled: "I Learned Everything I needed to Know About Survival in the Boy Scouts." While I can't order the others NOT to interact with you, I would strongly urge them not too encourage or enable you on such a rash course. Good luck.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Just to reiterate Sarge's point, to this day I still refer to my girl guide manual(on Sarge's advice) it has reminded me of a lot of things I had forgotten and the great times I had as a girl guide. Survival isn't all about hunting, shooting and fishing, it's also about making do, making stuff and teamwork. It's easier to learn and survive as a group than a singleton.
    If you don't like the idea of the scouts, I'm sure there are other similar groups that may be more to your liking. In the UK there is Army, Air and Navy cadets for 13-16 year olds that are affiliated to the armed forces is there something like that in the U.S? Perhaps that may be more suited to you.
    Last edited by Winnie; 07-19-2009 at 07:43 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    That's an immature viewpoint. You demonstrate quite a paradox here; 1st you say that you're angry at the Scout leaders for letting your friend die, yet you are willing to place yourself in an even worse situation than he was in; & that is going out on your own at only 13 years of age without adult guidance & support. You also say that you want our advice, yet reject it when given, like you just did with our advice about the scouts. I, for one, will not support such an irrational, immature, & irresponsible attitude. As most already know on this forum, I am a strong advocate of the Scouting movement. I've served as an assistant Scoutmaster & am a former Explorer Scout as well. I am even considering writing a survival book titled: "I Learned Everything I needed to Know About Survival in the Boy Scouts." While I can't order the others NOT to interact with you, I would strongly urge them not too encourage or enable you on such a rash course. Good luck.
    im not being stubborn. its just that some of your ideas are not available si i say thtat i cant do them so i get an idea that i can. and it is because of my freind that im putting myself in greater danger. i want to accomplish wat he didnt. but in my own way

Blog Entries

Cool Just remember this.

Here's a saying that I like; it's just as true today as it was when 1st penned:

"You can't tell a fool anything, but a word to the wise is sufficient."
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin