Thread: video: Ray Mears lecture

Default video: Ray Mears lecture

an interesting series of videos i found...

this is part one and you can fast forward to about 4 minutes since everything prior to that is introductory mumbo jumbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohZN2...eature=channel

its interesting to me because the lecture sort of broadens the term "survivor" and puts it in a cultural context as well as a historical perspective.

i also like that when discussing climate change he uses terms like "...there is still a lot of debate..." and "...i dont know if this is true or not..." but is still able to paint a picture of a changing environment and what that means for modern living.

in many circles the term "survival" is associated with BOBs, natural disasters and getting lost in the woods. but the term also reaches through history in the form of using the natural world to ensure the continuation of the species regardless of how the world may change around us. i think it is important to maintain a view of the larger picture and that the skills we learn arn't just for us as individuals and that the preservation of survival knowledge is more important than just surviving your next camping trip.

im half asleep and dont know if this is making sense.
    basically: kudos to all of you for participating in an effort to keep survival knowledge alive, in all its forms.

Actually, I think a lot of folks on here agree with you. I know I do. One of the things that prompted me to re-educate myself was the realization that foods my parents used were no longer a part of my diet and the knowledge that they and my grandparents had were not being disseminated to my kids and grand kids. We were replacing wonderful, valid old world knowledge with new world knowledge and sacrificing the old, which I think is a terrible loss. It was an epiphany for me so I began my quest to learn again many of the things I had let fall by the way side. A sharpening of the saw to coin a phrase.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Actually, I think a lot of folks on here agree with you.
    i dig. i didnt want to imply any narrow mindedness or contrary opinion on anyones part. if anything i sort of feel like the narrow minded one. i guess im sort of sharing my own revelation rather than offering advice.....

Does Ray still make any shows? I haven't seen him in quite a while, and I liked his stuff.