Thread: Gas Masks

Default Gas Masks

This may be outside the scope of this forum, but I just wanted to share with you all that I purchased some really nice gas masks the other day from cheaperthandirt.com. They may not be the best at preventing your eyes from melting or something in a nuke attack (I'm exaggerating), but they are very sturdy, comfortable, and fit very well. They are also incredibly cheap $7.50. I figured that at that price you can't really lose.

Just figured I would share if anyone out there is looking to get some for their "Oh Sh*t" shelter or anything.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MLT9104-1.html

I also bought one of these machetes. I had been considering getting a Gerber with the saw back, but after reading reviews on it, it sounded like junk. I bought this one.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/DBA153-1.html

It is really sturdy. It has a full tang, and the blade is very thick and sharp out of the box. And it was only $10. So if you're looking for a cheap one, that's the one to buy.

On a side note, I was very disappointed at what I read about the Gerber....what's going on with them these days?
    Last edited by Yakov; 07-08-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks for sharing. I just keep masks suitable for smoke (fire). The others that are intended for toxins/military applications require constant care and maint to be useful (fresh filters, seal replacement etc), and I (at least in my probable scenario) don't see the necessity
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Actually, a lot of what I read referred to these as riot masks and NOT for fires and such, so you might check 'em out. Heck $7 bucks!
    Last edited by Yakov; 07-08-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Changed to NOT for fires and such

Yakov - PLEASE understand what a gas mask does and does not do before attempting to use it. It could be the difference between living and dying.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just got them to look crazy while I walked to the mailbox. Come on, $7!!!

Whatever - You are the one that said
    for fires and such
    One of the common misconceptions about gas masks for those that have not used them or have not recieved training on them is that you can breathe in all kinds of atmospheres with them. If a gas mask is used in an oxygen depleted envrionment, the wearer of that gas mask will die. Doesn't matter if it cost $7 or $7,000.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Yakov View Post
    NOT for fires and such
    Nuh uh! It says NOT for fires and such....

I'm just kidding. I just couldn't pass up a $7 gas mask. Thank you for clarifying about the oxygen depleted environment thing, though. Equipment is only good if you know how to use it. I was just quoting what I read in other's comments on their website (which is an issue all its own). Just sharing!

But no one answered my question about Gerber's crappy machete. Did anyone look at the one I linked to?

I've never used a Gerber machete, so can't give a review.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Yakov View Post

But no one answered my question about Gerber's crappy machete. Did anyone look at the one I linked to?
    Yakov.... Sorry but i don't think the machete you posted is a Gerber. both look and price plus ad said maunfactuer was cheaper than dirt. I have a gerber machete. It is all black with a nylon handle, a straighter blade among a couple other things. I am very pleased with mine and am considering ordering another one.

I'm actually very happy with the machete that I posted. THe gerber I spoke of was the "gator" with the serrated back. Apparently people say they are flimsy and also have a very small tang sticking into the handle so they have broken under duress. I was just wondering about what happened to gerber's quality. They used to make awesome quality knives.

I believe Gerber must outsource some of their machetes in order to address the "cheapo" market.

Cheapo is fine if that's what you're into. It's just that if your name is known for quality...I don't know. I was just disappointed because I had thought about buying one of those gators until I read about it

Default Gas Masks

I would rather buy a NBC gas mask what is with a drinking straw the gas masks that you are talking about is very quistion able they could be secound hand with flaws in them.Also get a good mask with a drinking straw go to www.brigadeqm.com they have good ones their.

This is a very old thread but didn't want to start a new one since this one is open and contains some good information.

I just ran across some information I thought I'd share because I know many of you own gas masks. Please Note that I can not substantiate this information but anecdotal evidence is strong enough that I thought it worth sharing with regard to certain filters.

"carbon treated with a combination of chromium and copper, known as "Whetlerite carbon," has been used since the 1940s to screen out hydrogen cyanide, cyanogen chloride, and formaldehyde. Today, due to concerns about chromium toxicity, a combination of molybdenum and triethylenediamine is used instead."

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Gas-Mask.html

The concern is that some of you may have these Chromium treated filters and they can cause a health concern if used. The masks in question are:

American C2 and C2A1 filters if over 10 years old.

"Look for the serial number on the can: For Example: RFT 920000CF24054 (sample serial #) (first 2 digits are the year of manufacture) In this example the mfg date: RFT [92] is 1992."

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/gasmasks/

I'm no expert in this field but ran across the information and thought I would share it.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is a very valid point. A $7.50 gas mask is nice for a night on Halloween, but don't buy it for anything serious such as to use in a chemical or toxic environment.

You should really check out ********* for anything toxic.

Just a heads up though, not an attack
    Last edited by Rick; 07-06-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Removed Link

Since you are from the Netherlands and the link you posted is from the Netherlands it seems pretty likely you are connected with the site. That said, you are not allowed to post a link to any site you are connected with. It violates forum rules and is considered spam. You can place a link in your signature if you wish but you are not allowed to make reference to it. For example, you cannot say "check my signature for information on gas masks". That is also considered spam.

I have several of the N95 mask, but the ones for a neuclear attack are very expensive. I would love to get some of those but out of my price range.