Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Survival

Default Long Term Survival

Hey Guys,

What calibear and rifle would you bring for long term survival if you could only have one rifle.

Thanks,

GM42

Just one rifle?...my choice would be the .243.
    A smaller caliber, but still deadly at long distances, some models are pretty lightwieght, but what I like the most is minimal recoil.
    ~Earth receives foot and paw, hoof and claw with equal grace. But it is the way of the wild not to overstep...let's leave no trace that wind, rain and snow cannot erase~

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by gm42 View Post
    Hey Guys,

What calibear and rifle would you bring for long term survival if you could only have one rifle.

Thanks,

GM42
    I'll have to think about that one, but probably an over & Under, .22/20ga. With deer slugs &/or buckshot I can nail large or small game.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Oh yes I forgot to mention, that I have taken some flax over hunting big game with the .243 and been tease about my "peeshooter".
    However I have taken both whitetail and black bear successfully with my 243. It's all about shot placement with this gun, and tracking of the game was under 30 yards for all harvests.
    ~Earth receives foot and paw, hoof and claw with equal grace. But it is the way of the wild not to overstep...let's leave no trace that wind, rain and snow cannot erase~

Blog Entries

Cool Sheesh...

Quote Originally Posted by LadyTrapper View Post
    Oh yes I forgot to mention, that I have taken some flax over hunting big game with the .243 and been tease about my "peeshooter".
    However I have taken both whitetail and black bear successfully with my 243. It's all about shot placement with this gun, and tracking of the game was under 30 yards for all harvests.
    You, Owl Girl, & Nell, what a combination!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm with the Sarge on this. A combination gun has the advantage of having a single firearm that can fire both rifle and shotgun cartridge to hunt a very wide variety of game and the shooter can choose the barrel appropiate for the target in seconds. The combination gun I would have would depend on where I'm at. Basically here's the combinations from Savage:

.22LR/.410----- .22LR/20 Gauge
    .22WMR/20 Gauge----- .22 Hornet/20 Gauge
    .222 Rem/20 Gauge----- .223 Rem/20 Gauge
    .30-30/20 Gauge----- .357 Mag/20 Gauge
    .22 Hornet/12 Gauge----- .222 Rem/12 Gauge
    .223 Rem/12 Gauge----- .30-30/12 Gauge

I am very partial to the .22lr-20ga wish I had one but of what I presently have I guess I would go with my .308win just because of the bear and feral dog problem in my area, though would have to use smaller 100gr bullets for small critters
    To thyne self be true

if i could have two kinds of shells id take a twelve gauge... good for small and big game. otherwise a .270
    Mighty cocky for a starvin pilgrim

Default both good choices

The first rifle caliber I thought of was the .243 as well, big enough to drop large animals and small enough to not blow small game completely to hell. If I could take both shot and slugs, I'd go with a shotgun, 12 guage or 20 guage, either one would get done what I needed.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Live simple-Live free

My choice would be a .22 magnum. The ammo is very inexpensive and works great for small game. I wouldn't need a larger rifle since i wouldn't be taking larger game. without a fridge or some way to store meat i think larger game would be wasted.

There's plenty of things you can do with larger game to preserve it without a fridge. Smoking it, burying it, depends on what resources you have available.

A .22 magnum will drop a deer with a well placed shot mind you, I have no problem with your choice, but if you're in a situation where you have to hunt to eat and you've got a shot at a rabbit or a deer, well???

Depending on where you are too, out west there's pronghorn all over the place and if you drop one, by the time you dress it out, you probably have less than 100 pounds of meat. You can use four poles and the animal's hide to make a smoker. People have buried their meat in pits underground or under moss for thousands of years before they had refrigeration.

Anyway, just 2 cents worth.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

12 gauge....
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

i usually daisy chain my claymores and blow the bas**ds away.

when not doing that i use my jennings whitetail II.
    personal preference since i have not picked up a rifle since africa..

22lr , 410 , 20ga but i would prefer the 22/410 combo

probably my 12 but sometimes prefer the remington 700 30:06

A man of many Gadgets

Default As per your Question

Quote Originally Posted by gm42 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Thanks,

GM42
    I would think for long term .. Weight and Quantity of ammo to last.. It would have to beeee a 22 mag but most likely a 223 made by sig or mini 14
    Do not leave home without it.. and you will never wish you had it ...

Probably a .308 bolt action of some type. I'm in the field of view that if you see a moose 400 yards off, and your ability to bring that moose down will dictate how you eat for the next month, that shot better be a finisher. However I could see why a .22 would be the choice for a majority of people. In the case where I wasn't in northern Canada/Eurasia or in winter conditions, a .22/20g over/under combo. .22 for small game, slug for big game.
    Last edited by MCBushbaby; 10-18-2007 at 06:23 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Blog Entries

I'd prefer my long bow. But if I gotta take a gun I'd use my Remington 700 chambered in the .300 magnum. Long shots out to 800 yards and as close as I can get. Thru and thru power (knock down power) is awesome (same amount of muzzle velocity at 1000 yrds. as a .44 magnum at point blank range) and can handle all large land animals in one shot. But Lady Trapper is right... its always about shot placement. Still I prefer my longbow.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

12 gauge, but i live in the jungle, different game here.

Default heck yeah

Shot placement, doesn't do you any good to shoot 'em in the hoof or the antler. The big rifle suggestions are good for big game, but I suggest we consider the wolf. The gray wolf in northern Canada usually gets by on a diet of mice, rabbits, lemmings (Arctic), grouse, ptarmigan, muskrat and smaller predators throughout the winter far more than they do on big game. That's why I recommended what I did --go with something that will take down either big or small if you're limited to one firearm. When I'm hunting I use a WW2 surplus .303 for moose and deer, but if I was to shoot a rabbit or grouse with it, all I'd be left with is a fine red mist and a pile of mush. A shotgun is a good idea because you can switch between slugs and shot, but they're not as accurate at long distances either, goes back to shot placement.