Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: HELP w/Bugging In in NYC

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well, God bless you for putting up with it,.... and taking your time, to discuss your take on surviving the big city......a point of view and experiance that most of us would never have, if we should ever find ourselves in big cities.
    Only problem I have with roof tops is
    1. You are sniper bait to higher roof tops.
    2. If you are highest roof top you are now the biggest target in the city.
    3. Roof tops will be very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. That is my input on that ^^
    Good idea though. Roof top offers alot of great advantages like
    1. POV advantage over a great distance .
    2. Signaling help.
    3. Heli pad
    4. solar cells can be placed on roof tops.
    5 ETC, ETC, ETC...

^^
    "What Defines A God,
    The Powers They Behold,
    Or How They Wield Them?"

"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"

* PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT *

The SHTF scenario most likely to happen here wouldn't bring out snipers on roof tops as much as panicked crowds trying to get out, looters and a traffic nightmare of collosal proportions.
    Moving from rooftop to rooftop (where possible) and utilizing fire escapes, makes more sense. You just have to know the lay of the land (buildings, streets, blocks) same as any other place.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Moving from rooftop to rooftop (where possible)
    Ahhhh - fond memories of being out past curfew in Korea. You can make it to your hotel (fifteen blocks away) by going rooftop to rooftop.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yes those were fond memories. I also remember the first night after midnite curfew was lifted in the PI. What a party that was!
    I know what hunts you.

I have to ask, Kosuki, have you ever lived in a modern big city?
    I know what hunts you.

Default Bugging out of NYC

Bugging in may not be possible depending on the event. I am originally from New Jersey and I have thought about bugout possibilities for NYC. I could imagine things getting really nastey with such a huge population on a small island. My idea is by kayak. They even make collapsable kayaks for easy apartment storage. They can hold much gear too...More then enough. You can even keep a wetsuit handy for the winter. I was trying to enter a link but keep getting errors. a site to check out is oru kayak.

You don't have 10 posts yet so you are not allowed to post a link without it going to moderation. It's just one of the ways we keep a handle on spam. Once you reach 10 posts you won't have a problem.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You don't have 10 posts yet so you are not allowed to post a link without it going to moderation. It's just one of the ways we keep a handle on spam. Once you reach 10 posts you won't have a problem.
    Makes sense....4 more posts to go hahahaah

Nessie, the best advice I could gie you is to get out before stuff hits the fan. Study and learn the signs, and get out when things don't feel right. Go to a friends house far away from NYC and hang out until you know it is safe to return, and if not, just don't go back. As smart as you are, I would think that recognizing the signs would be easy for you, and I think you will naturally know when the day comes. It is my opinion that the only way to survive where you are is to not be there.
    Heck, come this way and you can hang with us!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If your unopened water containers are stored in a cool, dry place they will last for a long time. I rotate my water supply periodically out of an abundance of caution. Ken had a good idea. If you have time, you can fill the stored containers. Of course, having advanced notice is the key. Here's a picture of another type of collapsible container (5 gallon) that is readily available in a variety of stores.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    As always better stuff comes out - these get pin holes in the corners too quickly so I take a pass on these now. Yes collapsable was great but buying one today is quickly returned tomorrow. As a "bug in" I use 5 gallon water bottles in storage and other plans. So I am open to better containers that are portable.

Here is one Idea
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

If you have a filter then a Platypus Water Tank is pretty handy. I have one of those and two 2 liter Platy collapsible water bottles. This, of course, is going to be governed by how many people you are trying to support. For just me, I can filter up quite a bit of water in a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    As always better stuff comes out - these get pin holes in the corners too quickly so I take a pass on these now. Yes collapsable was great but buying one today is quickly returned tomorrow. As a "bug in" I use 5 gallon water bottles in storage and other plans. So I am open to better containers that are portable.

Here is one Idea
    In the seven years that have passed since I have posted that, it has not leaked or developed any pin holes. A few of the Aquataners that I have have developed issues though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I'm on the Upper East.
    There are several options of getting out but my problem is that I haven't
    figured out my ultimate destination.
    Without an end game plan, the idea of just wandering around aimlessly
    seems more dangerous (for me personally) than staying put.
    My wilderness survival skills are extremely limited and haven't been put to the test.
    Urban survival skills have, to some extent.
    So at the moment, I have to be intellectually honest about my ability to handle different scenarios. The plans will evolve as my skills do.
    Kudos to you for being honest about your skills and lack thereof. That you know that information and that you are asking for help to bridge those gaps is half the battle. The other half is accomplishing your goals one item at a time. As a suburban New Jerseyan I understand your concerns after 9-11, and that has been part of my motivation to become more prepared as well. No advice, just encouragement to keep asking the questions and know that there are others of us that are learning a lot from your questions and the community's answers!

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Fiji.....how are you going to get to Fiji? and there is the matter of rising ocean levels, will Fiji still be above sea level? In looking at a map of the area, you are between a rock and a hard pace! I mean looking at your options, Queens? who wants to bug out to Queens? Brooklyn isn't much better. If you could make it out to long island.. around Port Jefferson, at least there is farm land there. Having grown up in North Bergen I would opt for the jersey side of the Hudson. the east side of the palisades is still rough country in places with plenty of game. the west side of the palisades is the swamps (meadowlands for you foo foo types) Plus there is Hudson County park. The problem with Central Park is the population density around it.
    First time I've really APPRECIATED being in New Jersey...at least in relative terms to NYC... no offense to Benesse... but I'm GLAD I'm in Morris County! But then again, when you've lived any particular place a long time, you learn skills that are adapted to that particular place.. for me, it's suburban..for Benesse, it's the city.. I'd not live long at all in the city, even without a disaster!

BOBIH ! That's "Bugout Before It Happens" ! Man I shiver to think being stuck in a place like NYC if the SHTF events take place. I come from a small town of less than 15000 people but no longer live there because I don't like living in the city, couldn't even fathom living in a jungle like NYC`! So I say, get out while you can if its at all possible !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Seems many are more comfortable running to the wilderness for safety and shelter.....
    Many will try to "get back to the city" for the same reasons.

"B's" views and planning are quite different than many people would expect or picture in the minds.....and was very interesting for a lot of people.
    Kinda wish she would stop by more often.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Where is she anyway.

New York City.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

She has not posted anything in a month.

Hope she did not get mugged and thrown in the gutter!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Not with the knives she carries! Yea, Yea, New York. I just haven't seen her around. Just hoping she's okay.