Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP w/Bugging In in NYC

Have you looked into greening your roof? That is provided you have acess to it. You can always use the the excuse that it is enviromentally sound. Even if you can't turn the whole roof green, a couple of raised beds would supply some fresh veggies. Barring that, are there any parks near you? You could always drop some seeds in the ground and see what happens.
    I know what hunts you.

Here, here on the roof. Great idea, Sarky. Not only will it lower the costs in the building by cooling it you'll have some fresh greens and 'maters.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Have you looked into greening your roof? That is provided you have acess to it. You can always use the the excuse that it is enviromentally sound. Even if you can't turn the whole roof green, a couple of raised beds would supply some fresh veggies. Barring that, are there any parks near you? You could always drop some seeds in the ground and see what happens.
    I'm afraid no roof on the bldg.--at least not the kind you can get on.
    However, there are several parks nearby, the biggest being Central Park (the size of a country of Monaco)
    There's a tour being given periodically on edible plants of Central Park which I intend to take next month.
    Also two rivers east and west, and the ocean on the southern tip.
    Could be worse.

Balcony, perhaps? Some container plants could go there. You could also see if there is a community garden nearby.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Balcony, perhaps? Some container plants could go there. You could also see if there is a community garden nearby.
    No balconies that I have access to, but I suppose I can always
    start growing some mushrooms in a closet.
    You know the kind where you buy a log water it, and watch 'em grow.
    (no kidding, that's what the ads say) Herb Chia Pets, maybe?

Also no community gardens anywhere reasonably close.

I'm just hoping there's enough in Central Park to see us through 'til we can
    bail out to Fiji.

Fiji.....how are you going to get to Fiji? and there is the matter of rising ocean levels, will Fiji still be above sea level? In looking at a map of the area, you are between a rock and a hard pace! I mean looking at your options, Queens? who wants to bug out to Queens? Brooklyn isn't much better. If you could make it out to long island.. around Port Jefferson, at least there is farm land there. Having grown up in North Bergen I would opt for the jersey side of the Hudson. the east side of the palisades is still rough country in places with plenty of game. the west side of the palisades is the swamps (meadowlands for you foo foo types) Plus there is Hudson County park. The problem with Central Park is the population density around it.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Fiji.....how are you going to get to Fiji? and there is the matter of rising ocean levels, will Fiji still be above sea level? In looking at a map of the area, you are between a rock and a hard pace! I mean looking at your options, Queens? who wants to bug out to Queens? Brooklyn isn't much better. If you could make it out to long island.. around Port Jefferson, at least there is farm land there. Having grown up in North Bergen I would opt for the jersey side of the Hudson. the east side of the palisades is still rough country in places with plenty of game. the west side of the palisades is the swamps (meadowlands for you foo foo types) Plus there is Hudson County park. The problem with Central Park is the population density around it.
    I was just fantasizing about Fiji.
    In all seriousness, if we had to bail out it would make most sense to head out
    to New Jersey and go south. At least in the "south" we know folks.
    Thing is, you just can't show up on someone else's turf and expect them to roll out the welcome mat. On the other hand, we're not equipped to hoof it around the eastern seaboard on foot indefinitely. And as of now we have no end game. Yet.

I am less concerned about leaving NY if the rest of the country is OK.
    If the scenario is right out of James Wesley Rawls' "Patriots", then god help us. I'm gonna need more time to figure that one out.

This prep stuff is turning into a full time job, y'all!

Speaking of "Patriots" I had a sweet resource when I was stationed in Maine. A bunch of us were going to head up to our traing facility in the Rangley lakes region. Plenty of firewood, game, water and an open field to plant veggies. not to mention several buildings in which to live. Only one road in and that could easily be blocked. Now I have to deal with a city, not as congested as NYC but just as dangerous.
    I know what hunts you.

After reading the thread I was impressed w/ a couple of Remy's posts. He seems to have give this scenario thought and preparation.

IMO, if it's a localized disaster then a couple weeks of food and water would work until aide was provided (NOLA). If it's an end of the world event, we'll share rat recipes. I think banding with others for survival would eventually happen.

a little to the left of this topic but, hope and i a long while ago had discussed house boats and sailboats, i still think this would be awesome, and yes then the topic of piracy came up, but really think about it, not many know how to run a boat or sail and why would you spend your time and energy sailing the ocean blue or the vast wilderness when most of the food and water will be in the cities
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Now you have me thinking. There's a pretty good houseboat about two miles from my house.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    After reading the thread I was impressed w/ a couple of Remy's posts. He seems to have give this scenario thought and preparation.

IMO, if it's a localized disaster then a couple weeks of food and water would work until aide was provided (NOLA). If it's an end of the world event, we'll share rat recipes. I think banding with others for survival would eventually happen.
    I would feel much better about everything if the city/state was
    more on the ball regarding serious emergency preparedness and
    letting the residents in on it.
    Conducting an occasional city wide drill and putting out info on what to do
    in ANY contingency would be a good start.
    This idea of "not scaring people off" by talking about something so vital to their existence is beyond irresponsible and it's what keeps me awake at night.

The best you can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best! So many Americans are just plain asleep at the switch. Don't be one of them!
    I know what hunts you.

Speaking of preparing for the worst...
    Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about "Front Sight" in Las Vegas?
    Any personal experience with them?

One of my friends went to Front Sight about 5 years ago, he said it was great! He has family in Henderson so he stayed with them during the class.
    I know what hunts you.

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    This prep stuff is turning into a full time job, y'all!
    You can say that again!
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Default Gotta do what you gotta do

2 birds with one stone on the road to preparedness, the NYC style.
    http://www.urbanescapesnyc.com/index...n_drinkin/1353

Banned
    Blog Entries

Are you going......? The agenda sounds like Saturday at the Alaskan Jamboree.

Banned

Alcohol and Guns do not mix, The two should never meet !

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Alcohol and Guns do not mix, The two should never meet !
    That's not what I hear from our Alaskan brethren and they are still around and kicking.