Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP w/Bugging In in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by endurance View Post
    I have the predecessor, Live Off the Land in the City or Country, which I did enjoy. Getting a good all-arounder book like When Technology Fails by Stein is valuable for a reference, as they cover all sorts of disasters and the solutions to the problems that come with them. My first book all-arounder was Life After Doomsday by Clayton. They all cover the basics of what to store, how to store it, what are the possible scenarios, and how can you come back from it. I like the gardening and alternative energy aspects of Stein's book. It seems more grounded relative to no matter what goes on, smart prepping can save you money on food, help you produce your own food and energy, and looks at a variety of alternatives for heating, etc.

The best thing you could do to put it all together is find a local mentor who's been prepping for a while. Using a site like meet up can help find folks with common interests, whether it's urban gardening, shooting, or emergency preparedness. Just search for meetings in your area or post your own meeting. Once you start putting the feelers out there, it's amazing how fast you can start to network.
    Speaking of survival books, my all time, favorite has to be "Shackelton's Incredible Voyage" by Alfred Lansing.
    The story of Shackleton and his crew is pure, basic, awe-inspiring survival--no bells and whistles, no cool gear, nothing but the best of the human spirit beating the odds by sheer will and mental wherewithal.

At times I think I'd rather be stuck in Antarctica than NYC in a weekend gridlock, or a dignitary visiting UN any day of the week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Speaking of survival books, my all time, favorite has to be "Shackelton's Incredible Voyage" by Alfred Lansing.
    The story of Shackleton and his crew is pure, basic, awe-inspiring survival--no bells and whistles, no cool gear, nothing but the best of the human spirit beating the odds by sheer will and mental wherewithal.

At times I think I'd rather be stuck in Antarctica than NYC in a weekend gridlock, or a dignitary visiting UN any day of the week.
    A&E put out a boxed videotape (4 tapes) series on the voyage. It's by Kenneth Branagh. AAE-18421.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    A&E put out a boxed videotape (4 tapes) series on the voyage. It's by Kenneth Branagh. AAE-18421.
    I saw it and it's AWESOME.
    Not too much creative license, just very real and compelling,
    sticking close to the actual narrative.
    See it if you can, you WILL be inspired.

Another really terrific film is "Snow Walker" (2003).
    No one famous in it and no reason you should have heard of it but it's extremely
    meaningful to what we're all talking about.
    It gets down to the very basic, innate survival skills that Remy brought up
    in a separate post--and Remy, if you haven't seen it, I think you'll particularly
    appreciate it if I read you correctly.

Some of you who grew up on a farm or hunting and fishing or have been in the armed forces or
    law enforcement or spend time hiking and camping in the middle of nowhere might take some of these things for granted.
    But the rest of us who are at least aware of what it takes are awed and humbled.

Benesse, Have you done any camping or hiking? You've got the Delaware water Gap and the Pine Barrens to your south and the Catskills to your NW. I did a lot of camping in the Catskills during the summer of love. I digress, get out there and practice your skills. The key here is to take all the creature comforts with you but try not using them unless you have to. This way you won't be miserable.
    I know what hunts you.

You could certainly look up Wild Man Steve Brill's classes in Central Park. That would be an education I'd love to have.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/

Click on the 2009 calendar in the left hand menu.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You could certainly look up Wild Man Steve Brill's classes in Central Park. That would be an education I'd love to have.

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/

Click on the 2009 calendar in the left hand menu.
    I'm actually scheduled to take Steve's class in early Aug. and will continue
    (in different areas) 'til I can recite it in my sleep.
    Being a vegetarian, (I know, I know...) it's bound to make a serious difference.
    I've studied the medicinal aspects of plants and have applied some of that knowledge to great success.
    But eating off the fat of the land in Central Park would be quite a coup.

Stay tuned.

Just remember to stay away from plants tht are right next to the roadways, they tend to absorb the exhaust and anything else comming out of the tailpipe.
    I know what hunts you.

This is a direct quote from http://www.survivalblog.com/index.html

Wednesday July 29 2009
    Notes from JWR:

I was recently contacted by a producer for The History Channel who is making a documentary about survivalism. It is an unusual project that will include a subtext docudrama about a family that is fleeing Los Angeles in the midst of a megapandemic. He will be interviewing survivalists in Los Angeles and New York in mid-August. If you live in or near those cities and are willing to do an on-camera interview, please contact Nick Leader, via e-mail.

(The site provides a way to connect to Nick Leader.)

Remy, (just in case you're interested) your involvement would be an asset.
    Last edited by BENESSE; 07-29-2009 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by remy View Post
    Thanks for the thought.
    I will check them out.

How are the preps going ?
    Thanks for asking, I'm pretty much done with the basics.
    Your list and photos as well as many others who were kind enough to respond
    was an enormous help. I am sure it will be work in progress until (god-forbid)
    I actually have to rely on it.
    At this point I am reading all the recommended literature plus some that I stumbled across and find useful to my particular predicament.

As a late-comer to all this I now find myself obsessing over everything, especially my lack of practical skills.
    I also think a lot about the balance of "preparing" vs. "living". Where do I draw the line?
    There are sacrifices to be sure, unless your time and budget are limitless.
    Or you live that kind of life anyway.
    Like people who live at their retreats year round, who hunt and fish and backpack or have been in the armed services and law enforcement, etc.

I know I am in a better place than I was a month ago but I am also realistic about what it takes.
    It's gonna be a long haul!

Quite so on all points Remy.

Human mind has always been the key.
    It can get you through most difficult times and it can also f you up
    if you are not careful and aware of what it can do.

To that end it is a tool, one that requires life-long practice to master it.

Benesse - I agree with Remy. No need to obsess on any of it. Draw the line between "living" and "survival" where you feel the most comfortable. It gives a good starting point.

Now that you have the "basics" put together you need to exercise your plan to see if it works for you. This can be something very simplified all the way up to a full bug out exercise if that's what you want to do.

You can start by making some assumption. Your apartment building will be without electricity for two days, for example. So pick a week-end and go both days with no electricity. Use only what you have in house to get through. Keep notes about what has been forgotten, needs to be added, would be nice to have and so on. That will give you some idea of whether your supplies fit your needs.

Plans are wonderful things but only theoretical until you test them. The cycle goes something line.

Plan -> Test -> Post Mortem -> Adjust Plan.

Once you've exercised the plan a couple of times then you'll begin to see what you need for you and what you have that you can do without.

Good to see you coming along as well as you are. As Crash says, if it works for you it works for me and it looks like it is working rather well for you!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Benesse - I agree with Remy. No need to obsess on any of it. Draw the line between "living" and "survival" where you feel the most comfortable. It gives a good starting point.

Now that you have the "basics" put together you need to exercise your plan to see if it works for you. This can be something very simplified all the way up to a full bug out exercise if that's what you want to do.

You can start by making some assumption. Your apartment building will be without electricity for two days, for example. So pick a week-end and go both days with no electricity. Use only what you have in house to get through. Keep notes about what has been forgotten, needs to be added, would be nice to have and so on. That will give you some idea of whether your supplies fit your needs.

Plans are wonderful things but only theoretical until you test them. The cycle goes something line.

Plan -> Test -> Post Mortem -> Adjust Plan.

Once you've exercised the plan a couple of times then you'll begin to see what you need for you and what you have that you can do without.

Good to see you coming along as well as you are. As Crash says, if it works for you it works for me and it looks like it is working rather well for you!!

A weekend bug-in drill w/o electricity is a terrific idea!
    Especially now when it's hot & humid.

Last weekend I walked 3 miles with my 20lb backpack on just as a start.
    Glad I did since there were some gear snags I definitely wouldn't want to face "when the film is rolling".

Next trek will be longer with new hiking boots on.

The fun has just begun.

Just don't get sick over the humidity and make sure you break those hiking boots in BEFORE you do the trek. Wear them around the house if you have to. Painful feet are no fun. And be sure you have some blister meds like mole skin and some duct tape. Duct tape is great if you start having a hot spot. Apply a piece directly to the foot and hike on!

Blog Entries

I was looking around and found this

http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Survival...0079987&sr=8-4

Thought it might help those in an urban situation. Think it could be a very useful addition to anyone considering bugging in, including me.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by wychwood View Post
    I was looking around and found this

http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Survival...0079987&sr=8-4

Thought it might help those in an urban situation. Think it could be a very useful addition to anyone considering bugging in, including me.
    Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.
    I am currently reading Ragnar's Urban Survival (Remy's recommendation)
    which gives some very practical advice.
    All in all, I do find that for every answered question I have five more that aren't.
    Being in a big city like say, Denver is one thing. Being in NYC with a bull's eye on it is quite another. It's tough enough when it rains or some big cheese is visiting the UN or when there's a Puerto Rican Day parade
    (or you-name-it-day parade) passing by your front door.
    One can only imagine other scenarios and prey they don't happen while you are taking the subway to work. The only thing worse would be being a tourist WTSHTF.

Hey Benesse, How close are you to the Brooklynn Bridge?
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Hey Benesse, How close are you to the Brooklynn Bridge?
    Not very.
    Much closer to Qeensboro or Triborough.

The folks in Oklahoma City and Portland probably felt that way, too, Benesse. More apt to happen in New York than here. I'm not certain any place is safe today. Certainly not from accidents much less idiots bent on causing destruction.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i experienced a week of no power in michigan after an ice storm. the situation was real and we closed up ourselves into the smallest room we hung blankets from the windows to insulate out the cold. we burned oil candles (the ones i teach how to use) and we cooked on a oil stove too. we melted ice for water.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis