Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neck Knife Survival Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Mac - You said you stuck something to the back of the day/night mirror to enable night time signaling(?). What did you put on it and how are you using it at night?
    During the day you use the mirror to reflect sunlight. On the back is the silver side of a reflector sticker like the ones on the back of trucks (silver/red). If someone is searching for you with a light it will show up from a broad range of angles to the mirror. The mirror would have to be pointed at the light to return a signal, the reflector doesn't, at least not exactly. The idea would be to use the LED in one hand to attract attention and the reflector to show up in their light from a distance. You can see the LED blinking from a long way off.

I got a bunch of them at the DMV (DETRAN in Brazil) I also put these on the back of my medallion type compass'. The glue on these is really strong. They just help you show up at night. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

this is my neck kit. It consists of a type 27 Silva compass, Fox 40 whistle, flint and striker, Cold Steel Mini Pendelton Hunter, and a Micro Lite II. The compass does double duty as a compass and signal mirror
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I know what hunts you.

Oh, reflective tape! Great idea. Tell the truth, your wife and daughter come up with these ideas don't they?

Good stuff!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, reflective tape! Great idea. Tell the truth, your wife and daughter come up with these ideas don't they?

Good stuff!!
    No, they drive me into the wilderness. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    this is my neck kit. It consists of a type 27 Silva compass, Fox 40 whistle, flint and striker, Cold Steel Mini Pendelton Hunter, and a Micro Lite II. The compass does double duty as a compass and signal mirror
    Sarky,

Good stuff in that kit. The items in your photo are the kind of thing I carry as my "first string". I really like the looks of that mini-pendleton hunter. I wasn't aware of that knife, it looks real handy. Mac

It is actually part of my first tier kit. The rest is in a "SpecOps" Dry Cell Onboard (small first aid kit, 550 cord, tampoons(for tinder), etc.)
    The mini-pendelton hunter is a very nice knife, I like the shape of the blade (for field use) and it is light enough but strong enough to do what I need a neck knife to do. The sheath holds it firmly so I don't worry about it falling out.
    I know what hunts you.

I just received a RAT Cutlery Izula... AWESOME knife!!!! and very capable from demo's I have seen.
    http://www.ratcutlery.com/neck_knife.htm

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The RAT Izula and Becker BK-11 are what I was thinking of when I said to make sure the knife looks like a knife and not just a sharp object. There are all sorts of beaks and talons marketed as neck knives. Now I'm all for a well made claw here and there but not for a kit like this. The Izula would do well. Mac

Banned
    Blog Entries

Some times I wear a neck survival kit, called a Sig Sauer P-556 SWAT. But generally I have Binoculars around my neck.

Bump.
    Thanks, Rick for bringing this back up.

Mac, Very cool.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I would like to get a neck knife. I'm leaning towards the Izula.

Anyone know of a good reliable place to buy one?

Wicked kit! Nice knife. Thanks for a great, informative video post. Rock on.

Ok, I got an Izula and ahhh no. I finally found a guy with a Livesay and bought it.

So, now to build my neck kit.

Where do you buy potassium Permanganate?

What do you need a button compass for really? If you loss you primary and the map how much help is the button over using the sun to navigate? Really, don't get this and want to understand.

Birthday candles. How are the used by you.

The tubes of PJ cotton. What did you use for tubes?

Where did you get the reflective tape for the back of the mirror? Did you drill a hole in the mirror?

I would really like a whistle in the kit. Not, on the outside. In the kit. I believe you can not under estimate the effects of a survival situation rendering you unable to in some way signal your rescuers. Many, many, many survivors mention this. Many more who could have been rescued perish for lack of signaling.

I put signaling a need for rescue at number one down here. That being said this is my first neck kit. So, I look forward to your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch
    What do you need a button compass for really?
    Remember, he's in the jungle and under canopy a lot. Add in cloudy or rainy days or night travel.

Potassium Permanganate...you know that stuff can be volatile.

http://www.soapgoods.com/Potassium-P...FQsNDQod9X-oDw
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

"PIRACY IN THE BLOOD" Icemancometh's Avatar

The Izula is a great choice for a necker. I rarely leave the house without it around my neck. Wrap the handle with para cord for a more comfortable and secure grip.
    ""What the hell you doin' with that lawnmower blade?" "I aim to kill you with it.""

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Ok, I got an Izula and ahhh no. I finally found a guy with a Livesay and bought it.

So, now to build my neck kit.

What do you need a button compass for really? If you loss you primary and the map how much help is the button over using the sun to navigate? Really, don't get this and want to understand.

Where did you get the reflective tape for the back of the mirror? Did you drill a hole in the mirror?

I would really like a whistle in the kit. Not, on the outside. In the kit. I believe you can not under estimate the effects of a survival situation rendering you unable to in some way signal your rescuers. Many, many, many survivors mention this. Many more who could have been rescued perish for lack of signaling.

I put signaling a need for rescue at number one down here. That being said this is my first neck kit. So, I look forward to your advice.

It is sold in pharmacies here in little foil packets. I doubt you will find it like this up there. It is a common 3rd world treatment for ringworm as it is very inexpensive but it is not much used in the US. I would substitute some other form of water treatment tablets.

What do you need a button compass for really?

Overcast, fog, night, dense brush, checking another compass, etc. I agree that they are not the best but better than nothing. If nothing else they will speed up and confirm your natural ability to determine direction.

Light a small piece of the cotton and then light the candle from it. The candle is used to get damp tinder going if everything is wet. Protect the candles or they will eventually get wax on the kit contents.

I used straws with their ends melted shut.

Where did you get the reflective tape for the back of the mirror?

Here the department of transportation requires all trucks to have standardized reflector stickers on the rear of the truck. I was at the DMV (DETRAN) downtown and saw them for sale. The stickers I bought are about 8 x 2 inches with red and white panels. I would check any auto parts store, marine, skateboard, or bike shop for reflective stickers.

The mirror I use in the kit is plastic and doesn't have a hole in it.

I would really like a whistle in the kit.

ACR makes a very flat whistle as does TOPS. I use the ACR whistle in my BK-7 kit. Whistles tend to be fairly chunky. That's why I went with it on top of the sheath. Don't underestimate the camo effect of the whistle in hiding the knife, that is very effective.

Mac
    Last edited by Pict; 04-27-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icemancometh View Post
    The Izula is a great choice for a necker. I rarely leave the house without it around my neck. Wrap the handle with para cord for a more comfortable and secure grip.
    So many people love the Izula and it probably is a great neck knife. I did wrap the handle in a wrap that gave some grip in the middle. I think it was called a 360 wrap. But, I have large hands. Actually, I have larger hands then most guys my size.

The slightly longer handle on the N.R.G.S. makes a big difference in grip comfort even with the slimmer wrap that it comes with.

Having the longer blade is an advantage to me.

Thanks Mac for the responses.

I've never seen the two knives in the same photo. The NRGS is a great knife, it really is a small fixed blade set up for neck carry not what you would typically consider a neck knife.
    I'm interested in what you come up with for the kit. Mac

nice job very concealed and inner tube idea was very cool.

Somehow, I missed this thread. Thanks to SD and Rick for bringing it to my attention.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien