Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neck Knife Survival Kit

Default Neck Knife Survival Kit

For many years now I have been using a PSK built around my Livesay NRGS neck knife. This afternoon I shot a short video showing the contents of the kit and explaining some of my reasoning for the items included as well as some tips on how to carry a necker.

This kit is intended to be a back-up to the items I normally carry on my person. Items get lost or forgotten enough that it is always good to have a self contained PSK to give an extra layer of security.

The rubber cover is made from a bicycle inner tube. Placing it on the knife as shown creates three access points for the items underneath. You don't have to unpack the entire kit each time you want something, just roll back the part that covers the item.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Neck Knife Survival Kit

Mac
    Last edited by Pict; 07-12-2009 at 07:50 AM.
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Blog Entries

Great advise and even better knife. I love neckers.

As alway, nice job Mac.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Very nice vid. I like your kit. The only thing I might add as a back-up fire starter would be a plastic magnifiying glass.

Great little kit. I really like the internal usable flashlight. Great idea and well integrated. I might opt for a braided cord for a bit more width to add comfort and more cordage. thanks for sharing!
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

I'm not a fan of neck knives but you've taken it a step further. I really do like that. If it would not be too much trouble, could you list out the contents? There are a couple of items on there I can't make out what they are. Not a problem with your vid, just a problem with my hearing.

Thanks! You really do a nice job with these. You do a very good job taking things a step further and improving on them. Very intuitive.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here's a list.

SHELTER - Seven strand Paracord & handle wrap, Needle and waxed line for clothing repair. This kit is light on shelter resources.

FIRE - BSA Hotspark, Cotton treated with Vaseline, 2 birthday candles.

WATER - Two 10 oz milk bags, 20 mg Potassium Permanganate. This would only allow me to treat 20 oz of water at a time and it takes a half hour to treat water with KMnO4. At a water source that would translate into 40 oz an hour which is good enough.

SIGNALS - Day/Night Mirror, LED Light, Fire/Smoke, Whistle

NAVIGATION - 20 mm Button Compass

FOOD - #4 waxed line for snares, traps, or fishing. I give food a very low priority in small survival kits, its just not a killer.

This kit would allow me to concentrate on making a shelter, finding a water source, and collecting fuel for a fire. It eliminates the need to make friction fire and a container to boil water. Once in a stable situation it would allow me to signal for help and get my bearings if I had to move. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Very nice vid. I like your kit. The only thing I might add as a back-up fire starter would be a plastic magnifiying glass.
    That is a good idea for a back-up. This kit really is my back-up though and is rarely used by itself. I went with the mini ferro rod and treated cotton because it really is bombproof and isn't dependent on weather conditions. Rain or shine, day or night a ferro rod and treated cotton will produce flame. Mac

Just watched the video. Very good job.

I like the necker PSK idea as well. I might just have to see about making one up for myself.

What did you use for the rubber tubing? Is that just bicycle inner tube?

I have tried twice to watch the video but YOU TUBE is down for maintenance. But, I own a Becker BK-11 neck knife and absolutely love it. I use it more than I thought that I would whenever I bought it. I just take mine off long enough to take a shower.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by vthompson View Post
    I have tried twice to watch the video but YOU TUBE is down for maintenance. But, I own a Becker BK-11 neck knife and absolutely love it. I use it more than I thought that I would whenever I bought it. I just take mine off long enough to take a shower.
    If you would've gotten a stainless steel model you'd never have to take it off.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mac
    Seven strand Paracord & handle wrap, Needle and waxed line for clothing repair. This kit is light on shelter resources.
    I understand what you are saying there but I'm not sure it is light. Given the environment in Brazil, from the pictures you've posted, making something like a lean-to with natural materials doesn't appear to be that difficult unless you are on a ridge top. Using the paracord, waxed line or vines to tie framework materials together would be just about all you need, IMHO. Yes/No?

Now, let's talk about that day/night mirror. You said you stuck something to the back of it to enable night time signalling(?). What did you put on it and how are you using it at night?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I took the statement:
    SIGNALS - Day/Night Mirror, LED Light, Fire/Smoke, Whistle
    LED reflecting off the mirror is what I assumed (I know that's dangerous sometimes).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is a really great kit. Lot of stuff in a small backup. The good stuff never stops around here.

Hang on to that Newt Livesay knife. Last I heard he was out of the knife business. Too bad he made some very useful blades.
    -Jonesy

I have four of Newt's neckers. They are still out there since I posted that video several people have gotten in contact with me saying they bought one, all from resellers. Newt's still out there but I don't know how much he's producing. Mac

I would think the new Ka-Bar Becker Necker BK11 would work as well in this role. It's made for the TDI belt clip so you could use it as a neck knife or a belt knife, whichever is more convenient.

Here is the Ka-Bar site that lists it but you can find them cheaper.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...arch%20Results

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

nice neck kit
    i just have a fire starter taped to my sheath
    i'll have to incorporate your rubber tube idea so i can add more items

i notice you carry your knife handle down, has it ever slipped out ?
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

No, it's very secure. I do have to pay attention to putting it away. I typically turn the sheath to the right for that. Mac

"...no problem for the sheeple..."

nice.

Mac - You said you stuck something to the back of the day/night mirror to enable night time signaling(?). What did you put on it and how are you using it at night?