Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EMP does NOT effect most autos + everything else you ever wanted to know on EMPs

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

We're off-topic... any more thoughts on EMPs? I agree w/ Crash on the altitude detonation... I think it would be pretty tough for a North Korea or one of their customers to get it TEOTWAWKI right.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Korea and their long range missiles don't concern me as much as them selling their short and mediium range missiles. How hard would it be to launch a short/medium range weapon (don't really need much in the way of guidance) from a freighter as it enters the waters around New York - Seattle - or any major sea port?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You could even stow one on board a shipping container and track it via GPS. When it arrives in port, detonate by remote control. Good heavens, I just scared myself. That could work.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Areas in the world where an EMP would not have any effect.

Hi there, I thought this thread is very interesting. I wanted to ask you guys. In case of an EMP due to a perfect solar storm, what areas of the world would be less affected? I'm from Spain so I'm wondering if it could effect the whole worlds communications.

Do you guys believe this is possible to happen this year? I'll leave you with this interesting article from NASA confirming what you say:
    http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...espaceweather/

Many thanks and I'll be awaiting your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by James Barrington
    what areas of the world would be less affected?
    Why, the side opposite the sun of course. Earth just got hit with an X5 flare, the largest classification, and nothing of consequence...dang it! My power just went out.

Keep an eye on this site.

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My truck is a 86 F-250, runs on hard wiring, fuses and diesel.... I think I'm good lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I'm surprised at you guys and the population in general. If a car is grounded (thru dirt on the tires or whatever) most would be a fairly effective faraday cage. Second, Emps are subject to the inverse square law from the point of origination. A small emp at high altitude won't effect much because the induced voltage from the EMP drops off so rapidly. Get high enough to cover a large area and the size of the EMP has to go up exponentially. Nuclear explosions MIGHT do it, but only the sun has the energy to cover large areas.

On the other hand, I have the plans for a small EMP covering max 5 miles and likely nearer 3, which would likely be useful during an electronically assisted night attack . MAYBE. I lack only one part plus I have to test it, soon I hope. I found and figured it out by googling Electromagnetic pulse. Simple hey?

Allen
    Are you uncomfortable about financial crisis, political turmoil, senseless riots, oppressive government and other world anxieties? Can our world be sustained? For a limited time see “Operation Phoenix” at www.AllenCurrie.ca for a free peek at a probable future. Quote -“A must read. If there ever was a story that predicted a very possible future this is it.”
    Limited time free read at http://www.allencurrie.ca/

No reason to be surprised at us. Most that posted don't think it's a problem.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Currie Author View Post
    On the other hand, I have the plans for a small EMP covering max 5 miles and likely nearer 3, which would likely be useful during an electronically assisted night attack . MAYBE. I lack only one part plus I have to test it, soon I hope. I found and figured it out by googling Electromagnetic pulse. Simple hey?

Allen
    I would love to be a fly on the wall when you test that thing. They will be chasing the person at the epicenter of that event instantly. You are going to be a very well known person around the security circles almost immidiately.

Here in the States you would instantly have the attention of the FCC, FAA, DOT, DHS, FBI and ATF. That is a whole lot of alphabet soup for one person to stir.

If it worked you would be responsible for falling airplanes, fried auto electronics. blown TV sets, melted down computers, wrist watches self distructing on peoples' arms and stopping every heart pacemaker in the affected area. I can not imagine the multiple murder charges and civil damage suits!

That is in all honesty, one bit of information and a capability I would not want to have or to allow anyone to know I had.

Oddly, the National Geographic Institute did some testing a year or so back and it took an EMP generator the size of a shipping container to stop a car engine 25 feet away. They restarted the car and drove it away. It also took them a while to find a car the device would work on. Most were unaffected.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-25-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You could always test it out in the woods, say about 240 miles from the nearest road. A place like that shouldn't draw too much attention.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You could always test it out in the woods, say about 240 miles from the nearest road. A place like that shouldn't draw too much attention.
    That's going to take a really long extension cord!

Do you suppose it will it run on AA batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That's going to take a really long extension cord!

Do you suppose it will it run on AA batteries?
    Just use a "Flux Capacitor"!

Personally, I'd use a flux pump. About 500 pumps and you'd have enough energy to EMP stuff for a whole day. Ooh. Ooh. Maybe it's one of those EMP devices you shake. I understand they only work on a Fair day, though. (get it? Fair day....Faraday) I slay myself.

Are you supposed to keep the flux pump in the fair day cage?

Why would you only use stuff in bad weather and put it in a cage on a fair day?

Did anyone notice that we had the worst solar flare receintly that we have had in decades and it did not even make a blip in the twitterized world. If it had not been all over the internet survivalist sites I would have never realized it had occurred.

My theory of an EMP event, would be mostly data and communication damage, and even at that, would take a very high magnitude event. The economy and the radical nut jobs of the world worries me much more than an EMP

While the recent flares didn't went mostly unnoticed in North America, it seems that in some places that was not the case.

http://news.discovery.com/space/sola...on-110217.html

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...111256/1/.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

In russia there was a some type of explosion that created a big crater sometime during the very early 1900's. There has been speculation that it was some kind of electrical experiment that tesla was conducting. If that's the case I wonder if it was EMP.

Probably one of the early batteries for Tesla Motors.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Being on rubber tires, I thought a car wasn't grounded.
    In the pre 80 something cars wouldn't an EMP still fry the condenser and possibly the coil?
    I have 2 electric fuel pumps mounted on boards and wired up to plug into the cigarette lighter of my vehicles, with enough hose to get down into the gas station fuel tanks. One is for gas while the other is for diesel.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    While the recent flares didn't went mostly unnoticed in North America, it seems that in some places that was not the case.

http://news.discovery.com/space/sola...on-110217.html

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...111256/1/.html
    Thing is the "difficulty" with radio signils in one area of southern China is not quite TEOTWAWKI. They are probably not even using isnsulated cables there yet! One reason the CME of the 1800s in our country was so influentual was that absolutely nothing was sheilded by insulation in any form. Thousands of miles of bare copper wire was acting as an antenna.

The Tunguska event is pretty much accepted as a meteor strike. No mystery there anymore.