Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Poo 4 You! - more animal droppings to identify

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Default More Poo 4 You! - more animal droppings to identify

The walking trail that I have been working on in the woods behind my house is paying huge dividends in animal observation!

I have found numerous piles of deer pellets, and even some bear poo (see earlier thread.) Here are a few more pictures of animal "leavings" I found along my trail.

-------

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This is definitely carnivore poo - it was almost entirely made up of gray fur. It could be a dog, but this dog sure ain't eatin' dog chow!

-------

I'm not really sure what this is from. Could be a bird, but it sure didn't look like it was dropped from any height. It looks like it was laid right on the ground, so I would suspect a ground-dwelling critter. Too big for a mouse or other small rodent. Looks like it may have been eating berries. Any guesses?

-------

Something peed right in the middle of my trail. I'm guessing it was a deer. There were deer tracks around, and I am pretty sure that a deer ate a mushroom that was by the side of the path nearby. There were no dog tracks or signs of any other animal big enough to produce that much urine.

------

Lord willing, I'll keep more tracks and signs coming for your persual. I have also made a "salt lick" that is attracting lots of animal activity, but it is hard to tell what kinds of animals are visiting.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

That top one I would guess would be that of a fox or a coyote, depends on the diameter of the poo, generally poo that is over 3/4 of an inch in diameter is coyote. That bottom one I would say is a raccoon, but it could be a skunk. I'd guess raccoon though by the berries you mentioned.

My wife says I smell bad. I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakov View Post
    My wife says I smell bad. I don't know why.
    You know your way around a pile of poo!

The first pile definitely seems to be from a canine. I have heard that there are coyotes in this area, and I have heard them and observed signs of them in a neighboring county, but I have never seen or heard any here. Whatever left that poo, it was not eating dog food (as a domestic dog) or human scraps or garbage (as one of our many feral dogs.) Coyote is a good guess!

A racoon had entered my mind when I saw the second pile, but it just doesn't look big enough. A skunk might be a better guess. I too aspire to be a poo expert, but without the accompanying odor.
    Last edited by preachtheWORD; 07-01-2009 at 01:38 PM.

no .2 hahah get it no.2 i am going to say is mink or at least something from the weasel family, did you by chance see any tracks maybe small drag mark of a tail?

a racoon will actuall leave a big pile of poo equal to that of a bear or dog, remember these guys get the size of a medium dog, i have on that leaves nice poop at the bottom of two popular trees by my trailer
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i am going to say is mink or at least something from the weasel family, did you by chance see any tracks maybe small drag mark of a tail?
    I didn't see any drag marks, or any discernable tracks. My daguther was walking in front of me and would have messed up any tracks made by a small animal.

So far as I know, there are no minks living nearby. There is no body of water of any significance within miles, which is usually a requirement for minks.

There are not many members of the weasel family living in these parts.

Is a possum a possibility?

The first is probably coyote but could be dog if the diet is primarily wild.

As for the second, that's pretty small poo. Check to see if it has any insect parts. If it does, I'm guessing frog. A large bull frog will put out a pile about that size and it will contain undigested insect parts. As WE said, far too small for raccoon. Also, you want to be aware that raccoon feces can (and probably will) contain a roundworm. Nasty stuff. And, they typically only go in one location. It's referred to as a latrine or toilette (yeah, it's true).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

correct they do need water close by. don't know your area, no streams or anything?
    is that poo shiny with a bit of a film over it? looks like it in the pic, could be possum, never seen any my self but thats what the book says small like house cat and shiney w/film
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I think it's too small for possum. That can't be more than the end of your pinky compared to the lip balm. And couldn't you have found something besides lip balm to compare poo too? Yuck!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here's a site for poo identification (the net has everything doesn't it?). This site also can help with identifying animal destruction.

http://icwdm.org/Inspection/droppingfeces.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And couldn't you have found something besides lip balm to compare poo too? Yuck!
    I know, it's gross! But I didn't have anything else in my pocket at the time!

I also considered that it could be from a frog or reptile. But this is a dry slope. There is no water at all for a considerable distance. There is a tiny (maybe 4 inches wide) trickling stream probably 1/2 mile away. No way a frog would be in these woods. A toad, maybe, but they still like places that are damper.

I have never seen any lizard or any kind of reptile here. As far as I know, we only have one lizard that is native to these parts, and it is too small to leave that much poo. The whole critter is probably less than 5 inches long, and half of that is the tail.

I love a mystery!

Maybe a raccoon in process and you scared it? Naw...just a joke. It would have waddled funny if you saw it.

Now it is raining (more like pouring) here. So much for a second look while the poo is still fresh.

Well, if it pooped once, it'll poop again. I'll keep you posted.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Hip Boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think it's too small for possum. That can't be more than the end of your pinky compared to the lip balm. And couldn't you have found something besides lip balm to compare poo too? Yuck!
    Better break out the boots, it's getting deep but I read somewhere it all tastes like chicken. Anything to that?
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would say Coyote and a (ferret) which is a common house pet also. a mink has sharp hair like tips to its poo, ferrets often have green dropings but black is not uncommon
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Quote Originally Posted by Coot
    Better break out the boots, it's getting deep but I read somewhere it all tastes like chicken. Anything to that?
    Whad I say? Look at the picture. That right there is a tiny poo if ever a poo was tiny. A tinier poo would hardly do even if it were all shiny. It's hard to see and seems to me you are being a wee bit whiny. But the truth would be told if the preacher was bold and posted a pic of its hiny.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

where is Mr Grylls when you need him?
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

you should send that to chapstick for a commercial. I mean come on, nothing says indestructible more than the product sitting beside a pile of poo with "Sealed for your protection" written on it.

Coyote and weasel.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Some of you guys really know your sh!t, huh?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by preachtheWORD View Post
    The walking trail that I have been working on in the woods behind my house is paying huge dividends in animal observation!

I have found numerous piles of deer pellets, and even some bear poo (see earlier thread.) Here are a few more pictures of animal "leavings" I found along my trail.

-------

This is definitely carnivore poo - it was almost entirely made up of gray fur. It could be a dog, but this dog sure ain't eatin' dog chow!

-------

I'm not really sure what this is from. Could be a bird, but it sure didn't look like it was dropped from any height. It looks like it was laid right on the ground, so I would suspect a ground-dwelling critter. Too big for a mouse or other small rodent. Looks like it may have been eating berries. Any guesses?

-------

Something peed right in the middle of my trail. I'm guessing it was a deer. There were deer tracks around, and I am pretty sure that a deer ate a mushroom that was by the side of the path nearby. There were no dog tracks or signs of any other animal big enough to produce that much urine.

------

Lord willing, I'll keep more tracks and signs coming for your persual. I have also made a "salt lick" that is attracting lots of animal activity, but it is hard to tell what kinds of animals are visiting.
    Maybe the animals are trying to tell you something since you say they crap on YOUR trail. They must think it's funny when you get something on your shoe.