Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed blade knives

Default Fixed blade knives

I carry either a buck 119 or a gerber profile. Anyone ever have any problems with the authorities for carrying knives? I know one day someone will be like, "He's got a 2ft long knife go git em!" Here in Alabama the knife laws are are very vague...Here they are...

Section 13A-11-50
    Carrying concealed weapons.
    Except as otherwise provided in this Code, a person who carries concealed about his person a bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description or a pistol or firearm of any other kind or an air gun shall, on conviction, be fined not less than $50.00 nor more than $500.00, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail or sentenced to hard labor for the county for not more than six months.

That's all it says for carrying a knife concealed, NOTHING else...

Case law is this:

- A "butcher's knife" 11 inches long overall is a knife "of
    like kind or description" as a bowie knife (1897).
    - "A 'bowie knife' ordinarily designates a long knife shaped
    like a dagger, but having only one edge, and does not
    include a knife which opens and shuts and is not too large
    to be carried in a trouser's pocket..." (1985)
    - "'Lock-blade'" knife not included... within the statutory
    prohibition." (1985)

Nowhere does it say anything about the length of the fixed blade "bowie type" knife...

Now the funny part...it's completely vague about knives BUT very specific as to what a deadly weapon is:

(g) The term "deadly weapon" as used in this section means a firearm or anything
    manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious
    physical injury, and such term includes, but is not limited to, a bazooka, hand grenade,
    missile, or explosive or incendiary device; a pistol, rifle, or shotgun; or a switch-blade
    knife, gravity knife, stiletto, sword.

Come on...a bazooka or missile? wow

Maybe Ken can shed some light on it
    Last edited by Yakov; 06-26-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added a line

I guess I'm not smart enough to do the right searches. I have found the "concealed carry" laws, but I can't find anything about if it's not concealed.

Side note;
    In my state, even though I have a "concealed" permit, I think I could still be in trouble, if I concealed a fixed blade knife. Our state has "concealed handgun permits", not a concealed weapon permit.(As a lot of people call them.)
    The way I read it, I could conceal all the high powered, high capacity, handguns that I can carry, but I better not have a small fixed blade knife on my belt, and let my jacket cover it.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

State Knife Laws:

http://www.donath.org/Rants/StateKnifeLaws/

Why are you carrying concealed? The only thing in Indiana is automatic knives such as stilletos or switch blades and throwing stars. I guess a throwing saw blade would be okay.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah it doesn't say anything about non-concealed. The first bowie knife had a blade of 9.5 inches long, so I figure anything with a 6 inch blade shouldn't be a problem but I figure as long as someone who has never been trained to fire a pistol can carry one around in a shopping center, then I should be able to carry whatever knife I'd like to use

By the way Rick, California needs to be broken off the United States so that it's 3rd world weapons laws won't contradict being covered by the Constitution.

All in good time. Another really good shake out there and California will be it's own continent or a really big island.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The way I interpret the laws, in my state(NC), it sounds like any knife other than an "ordinary pocketknife" is considered a weapon, a has to be carried as such. Concealing it (on you belt, and your coat covers it) is illegal. So is having it (concealed or not) in a federal building, state building, county building, school etc. In fact, instead of saying schools, NC calls them "educational..." something, which covers schools and colleges.(As defined by them.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Hmmmm.....so if the governor issues a state of emergency in my state, I can't have anything to protect my self/family if I am not on my own property.

It is also a misdemeanor under North Carolina law for a person to transport or
    possess, off his or her own premises, a dangerous weapon in an area during a declared
    state of emergency, or in the vicinity of a riot. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-288.7 A concealed
    handgun permit does not allow a permittee to carry a weapon in these areas. N.C. Gen.
    Stat. § 14-415.11(c)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Here my permit is pistol or revolver. Knife is 3 1/2" folder. I can go across the river to KY and carry a shotgun down one pant leg and a sword down the other legally. Still glad we have state instead of national laws even if some are strange.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Just be very carefully inserting either one. That hurts just thinking about it.

From several officers I have spoken to in my area. I get conflicting answers on the length, (4"-5"). But they all agree it's not the size, but how it's presented. If you're using said knife as a tool you should have no problems. If you have it drawn and heading into a person's direction, you have a problem.

If you are a law abiding citizen carrying a concealed knife, you're ok. If the police are searching you, and you have it concealed, you might have a problem, this depend on circumstances.

But then again, every state is different.
    Surviving the Fellini Kroger since 1993

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Here my permit is pistol or revolver. Knife is 3 1/2" folder. I can go across the river to KY and carry a shotgun down one pant leg and a sword down the other legally. Still glad we have state instead of national laws even if some are strange.
    I'd think you'd look kinda funny when you walk.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Yakov, the laws vary considerably from state to state. For example, in Massachusetts, I can legally carry a "high capacity weapon" with my CCW license, but could be convicted of a crime for having a switch blade, double edged knife, tazer, or sling shot. Honest.

The laws change frequently due to the knee-jerk reactions of politicians everytime a different weapon is used to commit a crime. A few people were attacked with machetes in the Boston area; an instant move to ban possession of machete's was proposed in the legislature.

In Mass, almost everything is prohibited, and the term "dangerous weapon" is left open to interpretation. I suspect the law could actually be "void for vagueness" in some applications. In Mass, if you push someone to the ground, the earth itself could be considered a dangerous weapon. The designation of an object or substance as a "dangerous weapon" has been applied to walls, rings, sneakers, soda flying through the air, spit..........

"Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction."

Here's the link: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-10.htm
    Last edited by Ken; 06-27-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

I always wear a big ole' honkin' Bowie knife on my belt when I shop for groceries; it gives me and the security folks something to talk about while waiting for the cops to show up! I tell 'em: "Hey! Ya never know, I might run into a dead elephant & no one else will be there to gut it!" Will somebody come down & visit me....please!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by yakov View Post
    by The Way Rick, California Needs To Be Broken Off The United States So That It's 3rd World Weapons Laws Won't Contradict Being Covered By The Constitution.
    Whole Heartedly Agree! It is a shame that this poor guy has to be scared to carry a knife. A tool. Not some death machine. This is the kind of thing that gets me thinking, "What the hell is happening to our country". Guys, GO OUT THERE AND Buy PLENTY ''TOYS'' NOW. You Know What I'm Talking About. Buy Plenty To Feed Them Too. The ****** Don't Like My Constitution So They Are Trying To Twist, Bend, And Break It. Our Rights' Days Are Numbered. IT'S NOT MY FAULT...I VOTED FOR *******. NOT TRYING TO START AN ARGUMENT WITH ANYONE. THAT IS THE WAY I SEE IT. I don't know if my political overtones violated any site policies ,but if they did, I apologize in advanced. Just another ***** wing rant. BEST
    Last edited by Rick; 07-02-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Removed political references.

Banned

In TN. a "concealed" blade cannot exceed 4" no matter the handle length just the blade. Nothing is said about fixed or folding but I'am sure there has to some way you are legally allowed to carry a 6" skinner while hunting or out in the countryside minding your own business and not waltzing around Wal-Mart scaring little old ladies?
    I think most of the time they will take the situation and then interpit the laws the way they see fit at the time.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Anyone honestly think the knife, blade length, folder or fixed etc makes a darn bit of difference if you use it to defend yourself. Remember decent people don't slice & dice other people for any reason, it's so bloody and downright uncivilized. Better you hand over whatever he wants and everybody lives happily ever after. That's the BS the bleeding hearts are trying to feed us.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I always wear a big ole' honkin' Bowie knife on my belt when I shop for groceries; it gives me and the security folks something to talk about while waiting for the cops to show up! I tell 'em: "Hey! Ya never know, I might run into a dead elephant & no one else will be there to gut it!" Will somebody come down & visit me....please!
    Sarge, be there ta visit ya soon. Bringing soap on a rope, anything else you need while I'm shopping?
    You are your dog's best friend....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    About 20 years ago I'm in a local K-Mart. I have a .32 in my in-the-pants holster and a Motorola police department UHF portable in my back pocket, covered up a bit by my jacket. Security stops me as I'm heading out the door. I ask why, and they get all hard a$$ed and "order" me to accompany them to the security office. So we go upstairs, and they tell me to take off my jacket. I decline, and suggest that they call the police. One guy says "we saw you take that "walkie-talkie" off the shelf and put it in your pocket. Take off your jacket so we can see what else you stole." I decline, and suggest that they call the police. They do. They looked a bit confused when they heard the call dispatched over my "walkie-talkie." Police officer (one of my former "first responder" students) arrives and sees it's me, but doesn't let on that he knows me at first. Security fills the police officer in, and asks him to order me to hand over "their walkie-talkie" and to open my jacket. The Officer declines and turns to me and asks, "You carrying, Kenny?" I smile. He then asks "department portable?" I say, "Yep." He turns to the two security guys and informs them that K-Mart doesn't sell police two-way radios and that the police commissioner from the next town over doesn't like to show his gun to strangers.
    Last edited by Ken; 07-02-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typing
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark