Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 670 Million WITH-OUT Power.......what it looks like.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default 670 Million WITH-OUT Power.......what it looks like.

For comparison purposes, can you post a pic of what Grid Failure looks like in your neighborhood?

I was reading several articles about the power outages across India earlier today. There was also a grid failure yesterday that effected 300 million. Not sure how long it lasted, but today's failures are obviously larger. I think that the author of the linked article is not being totally honest with the pictures that were posted.

Here are some pictures of what parts of India look like on a normal day.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks, Crash. I thought, "what the heck? That looks like a normal day". So I think you might be right. It will be interesting to see what the root cause of the failures turn out to be. Maybe we won't ever know but it would still be nice.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks, Crash. I thought, "what the heck? That looks like a normal day". So I think you might be right. It will be interesting to see what the root cause of the failures turn out to be. Maybe we won't ever know but it would still be nice.
    I have not been outside of N.C. all day!
    Now that I think about it though, I havn't seen that dang mule in a couple days.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Here are some pictures of what parts of India look like on a normal day.

...and yet, Columbus confused here, for there. Pfft! Moron.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

well here is a look at an American city After a Disaster for comparison, these are from Katrina / Rita some are taken from a car the others from a helicopter I went up on. I was in the city for two months during the initial recovery, Providing security for Relief workers. My wife was also there with The Air Force ( she is a nurse) at the airport evacuating the wounded. Have more pics if anyone is interested......
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]8179
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8180
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8181
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8182
    [/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8183
    [/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Course you realize that can not happen here, right?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=6115

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAg&dur=4727

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93795&page=1

One of the funniest things I ever saw on TV was the time they took the "Ice Road Truckers" to India.

The old dude never made it out of town and the young girl and guy stayed scared crapless for their entire stay.

They still make vehicles with wooden frames over there!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-31-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hummmm, Hope no one has to call customer service for anything.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hummmm, Hope no one has to call customer service for anything.......
    Baaahahahahaha!!!

That's funny, right there....I don't care who ya are!
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I have this mental image of some guy that just wired up his house. He turned the power on Monday....blackout. He turned the power back on today......blackout. If he ever kicks on his WiFi the Asian subcontinent will brown out.

Yeah, KY, it could happen here. But our standards help keep the lights burning. Not so much elsewhere.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Was reading a report about this this morning, and it seems that most of it was back up/on line........Wow, really makes you wonder "What happened?"....Some body trip over the cord from China?

It was kinda getting poh, pohed a bit, with statements to the effect "Everyone is used to it, ......Hosp, Airports, anyone important,... have gen sets, lots of people don't have electric anyway.........."

I saw this too, thought it was interesting.
    "I would rather live in dangerous freedom than I would peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
    "The purpose of life is a life with a purpose, so i'd rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless." - Immortal Technique

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Rick, the documentation demander, did you read the post? Did you see the pictures and read the articles? You are really not concerned with references are you? If they don't suit you you ignore them.

It is not a COULD HAPPEN HERE situation. It DOES happen here!

Standards, checks and balances my sweet ....? There were rolling blackouts in California spring of this year!

Hunter, I was reading that only 40% of India is wired. 60% have no power to lose so they did not know the difference.

Just this portion of their grid collapsing is more population affected than all of the U.S., all of Mexico and all of Canada being knocked out.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Just seems odd to me that.... Boom, 670 million, no power....the just as fast..... boom, 3/4 back on....like I said who kicked the cord?

Just seems odd to me that.... Boom, 670 million, no power....the just as fast..... boom, 3/4 back on....like I said who kicked the cord?
    The generator ran out of fuel, and you know what a bear it is to bleed the lines on a diesel once you run it dry. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    The generator ran out of fuel, and you know what a bear it is to bleed the lines on a diesel once you run it dry. LOL
    It was a Mayan generator.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It can and does happen here.
    In India, they suck it up and it's just another day.
    Here, people panic, complain, whine and complain some more about how they were last to be hooked back up. Someone is always last.
    I had to send a letter to the editor of our town after people complained they saw workers sleeping in the bucket trucks instead of out there working. yeah, I did too. But it was always one guy of 3 sleeping, like they were doing a man rotation. Or that there were parked trucks at the hotel. Men have to sleep and get a hot shower some time. Or that the guys were standing around talking and drinking coffee. Yeah, in the mornings when they were getting their assignments. I didn't see any of the townsfolk out there helping with the cleanup or holding flashlights in the dark in the sub-zero weather. I brought the guys on my street a box of Joe and thanked them for working through their Christmas instead of hurling insults at them. Letter didn't get published. They'd rather publish the complaints.
    Last edited by LowKey; 08-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.

KY - Pull off your knickers. Unwad them. Put them back on. It was a joke. Get it? Standards? Bird nest wire? I'll get my crayons out next time.

And anytime you want to post sources I'll be happy to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    KY - Pull off your knickers. Unwad them. Put them back on. It was a joke. Get it? Standards? Bird nest wire? I'll get my crayons out next time.

And anytime you want to post sources I'll be happy to read them.
    Well yeah! A birdsnest, that is what it was....

Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson