Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Bleach on wounds

  1. #1

    Default Bleach on wounds

    Since bleach has certain chemicals that kill germs, bacteria etc. would it be possible to dilute it and treat small wounds? i did a search and found nothing. I'm sure there's some intelligent members who could help out with this.
    Thanks


  2. #2
    Hall Monitor Pal334's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,433

    Default

    Interesting question I found the following, apparently it is not a normally accepted method

    The discussion on bleach starts as follows: Scroll down to it and follow the conversation.
    "Hello,
    I have a question that hopefully you may answer for me. I recently started working in a nursing home and I have observed the "wound nurse",who is an lvn, cleaning a stage 4 pressure ulcer with bleach and water. It looks very painful and seems like it would really burn. Is this appropriate cleanser for such a deep and open wound?? I would really appreciate your reply"

    http://www.medicaledu.com/emails/email_2005_0217.htm
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks Pal, by the sounds of it it acts similar to hydrogen peroxide. But it would be better than nothing if one was stuck in the bush with nothing else. Although, it would be hard to measure the correct amount of water to bleach solution. I would rather kill a little good tissue than lose a finger/arm.

  4. #4

    Default

    I've used a small amount of bleach to clean suspected water, and yes I have ingested it, so I don't see any problem with external use.

  5. #5
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    49,102

    Default

    A couple of thoughts, please.....

    1. Why would you be lost in the wilderness with only bleach?
    2. What possible scenario would using bleach or hydrogen peroxide on wounds be acceptable? Both kill tissue. If the wound is not deep then clean it with water and soap if you have any. Otherwise just clean water. If the wound is a deep laceration or puncture wound then control any bleeding and seek medical help.

  6. #6

    Default

    1.let's just say that i brought along bleach to purify water if boiling were not an option and i did not have any other sort of cleaning agents.
    2. well lets just say i some how got a cut and there is something really nasty and dirty that got on it i have no ideas what that could be right now but the possibilities are endless and anything can happen.
    This was mostly just a hypothetical random thought.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ole WV Coot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler
    Posts
    2,670

    Default

    I have known a few people who would use Clorox on poison ivy to "burn" it off and keep it from itching. Never used anything odd unless you count whiskey & turpentine.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

  8. #8
    Senior Member doug1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    My grandma used bleach on me once when I got poison ivy real bad. Hurt like he!! but I have never been affected by poison ivy since. I can touch it all day long and nothing. Not saying it was the bleach but who knows. Then after a day at the sawmill my palms would be black from handling wood all day and the only thing that got it off was bleach. Had many cuts and splinters so it hurt like he!! but it did the job with no ill affects.

  9. #9

    Default

    Bleach and hydrogen peroxide are necrotic to tissue. We now have better cleaning agents. I would go with alcohol hand sanitizer before I would go with bleach. Betadine is another alternative.
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

  10. #10
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    37,757
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bibow View Post
    1.let's just say that i brought along bleach to purify water if boiling were not an option and i did not have any other sort of cleaning agents.
    2. well lets just say i some how got a cut and there is something really nasty and dirty that got on it i have no ideas what that could be right now but the possibilities are endless and anything can happen.
    This was mostly just a hypothetical random thought.
    Let's just say add a first aid kit to your supplies.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  11. #11
    Gadget Master oldsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Evansville Indiana
    Posts
    1,632

    Default

    I'll have to agree with mcfd..... True bleach and hyd.perox. DO ACT similar in some aspects. You CAN use hyd perox. as a oral rinse if you have a gum/mouth problem like an infetion and you can us it undeluted. I wouldn't ever want to try that w/bleach even at 100/1 ratio. you are better of to use a sanitizer or betedine than bleach. If you only have bleach handy try some natural remedies.

  12. #12

    Default

    You are going to have to be very careful, especially with bleach. Hydrogen Peroxide typically found in the home is pretty safe, but bleach can really injure you.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

    FireSteel.com

  13. #13
    Senior Member Schleprok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    232

    Default

    think Crash nailed it, carry a first aid kit...
    You are your dog's best friend....

  14. #14
    retired American
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Several years ago, while working as a sergeant in prison in NY, I was involved in a violent use of force incident with an inmate and was exposed to a large amount of the inmate's blood on my face and body. As soon as the inmate was locked in, I ran to the porter closet and took off my shirt and poured straight bleach on my face, arms and chest, as I did not know if inmate was HIV positive and we were told bleach kills the virus. I do not recommend using the bleach as it burned like hell obviously and looked like I had a real bad sunburn. Perhaps it is okay when diluted, but like other people here said why would you be out in the woods with bleach and no other treatment?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canton Georgia
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Oh yeah... burns SOOOO good. Ive used it on poison ivy. And I have the scars to prove it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I have known a few people who would use Clorox on poison ivy to "burn" it off and keep it from itching. Never used anything odd unless you count whiskey & turpentine.

  16. #16
    Super-duper Moderator Sarge47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The People's Republic of Illinois
    Posts
    9,020
    Blog Entries
    37

    Cool I agree...

    Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45 View Post
    Bleach and hydrogen peroxide are necrotic to tissue. We now have better cleaning agents. I would go with alcohol hand sanitizer before I would go with bleach. Betadine is another alternative.
    Not only does alcohol hand sanitizer better than bleach, it also can work as a fire-starter, giving it more than one use. the right tool for the job I always say!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

    Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

  17. #17
    Senior Member Ole WV Coot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler
    Posts
    2,670

    Default

    Folks I do agree with everything negative said about using bleach. Growing up it was what was handy and what you call "folk remedies" were used by everyone. We did not have an ER or most times the means or money to go to a doctor. We used things common to the hills of KY, Indians & old Melungeon remedies. I didn't know Jewelweed by name, but used it as a young child, same with mayapple, slippery elm inner bark & how to make soap, cover chairs with hickory bark and I still don't know the correct names for many plants we used and ate. Primitive but it did work.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •