Thread: Kudzu

Default Kudzu

I was doing a search for quick growing edible plants and came across kudzu recipes:http://www.nancybasket.com/gpage.html

I've never heard of people eating kudzu.

I haven't either...so I did a quick search. Interesting...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

I think H63 did a thread about it a while back (at least I think it was him). As invasive as it is - if it's any good, and contains any nutrition - you'll never go hungry. Look at these houses covered with it.

http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/houses.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's scary!

Anyway, I was trying to find the most nutritional and fastest growing vegetable. Any hints...

I think the first time I saw that stuff I was in Atlanta. I just stood and stared at it. I couldn't image a plant could take over as much territory as that thing does. Horizontal, vertical, diagonal, doesn't matter which direction. I sure hope it's too cold up here for it. That stuff is terrible.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have ate kudzu once. If you try it, be sure to get the young tender leaves. I've also seen where people have made kudzu jelly.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think the first time I saw that stuff I was in Atlanta. I just stood and stared at it. I couldn't image a plant could take over as much territory as that thing does. Horizontal, vertical, diagonal, doesn't matter which direction. I sure hope it's too cold up here for it. That stuff is terrible.
    I'd get a goat. It'd be the ultimate super bowl.

Down here we've got two types of wild potato vines that are just as invasive. One is edible, the other is questionable (but some eat it with several changes of water) The wild edible ones grow tubers up to about 40 pounds. This summer I'm going to do some more research on these since they are so pervasive (but I think it's the questionable ones that are the more prolific)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We have wild potato here and the vines can get pretty wild. I've seen them 30+feet up into trees but nothing like that junk you had pictures of. Winter kills the tops so they have to start over each year. Beautiful white flowers with a royal purple center.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We bought some goats hoping they would eat our kudzu. They wouldn't touch the stuff. They loved dog food and chinese food, but were picky eater for everything else.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I may have lost my last transmission. Anywho, thanks!

I hear the roots can be eaten. Boiled in a few changes of water. Haven't tried it.
    Rick, I don't know, we've had some sightings of the plant as far north as Marblehead, MA (very near the NH border).
    I think it's cold adapting.

Guess you have to be South of the Mason Dixon to truely appreciate the beauty of the South!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Guess you have to be South of the Mason Dixon to truely appreciate the beauty of the South!
    It may keep you going.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    It may keep you going.
    Ain't no maybe about it! Try living in the desert for 5 yrs....You'll appreciate it bigtime!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Down here we've got two types of wild potato vines that are just as invasive. One is edible, the other is questionable (but some eat it with several changes of water) The wild edible ones grow tubers up to about 40 pounds. This summer I'm going to do some more research on these since they are so pervasive (but I think it's the questionable ones that are the more prolific)
    Do you happen to know the species names for the two? I've seen what I think is Dioscorea oppositifolia up here (Atlanta area) but I'm not familiar enough with the various species in the genus to feel certain.

Anything requiring 'several changes of water' to eat tells me it is not a survival food. Same with acrons and the like. While as a prep item or something to can and put away, if one is out trying to 'survive' do they plan to carry enough water/fuel for their own subsistance as well as 'several changes of water"?

If it is edible I'd start eating it now and canning it or whatever and hope to find Bami if I need to survive for any period in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by danmc View Post
    Do you happen to know the species names for the two? I've seen what I think is Dioscorea oppositifolia up here (Atlanta area) but I'm not familiar enough with the various species in the genus to feel certain.
    I went on one of Dean Greens wild edible classes where he discussed the differences. His website also has a pretty good description. http://www.eattheweeds.com/www.EatTh...inese_Yam.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel