Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making pemmican

I think your point is excellent. Corn would hold no more sugar than berries. Corn it is!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

although after more reading i have come across references to berries whos sugar content are higher than others and how they might not be the best. like modern cranberry harvesting produces a sweet cranberry that isnt good. but berries have SIMPLE sugars and corn is a complex dextrose sugar so would that make a difference since simple sugars break down easier than starches? i dont know why that would make a difference but for some reason i think it would haha.

Okay. Well, in that case, I told you so. Or not, whichever is right.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by aflineman View Post
    I found both pronunciations in my research, but went with the one I used as my instructor said that it was the most correct. As I have only spoken Nez Perce and a bit of Cayuse (many many years ago), I went with his interpretation (especially since he was grading the paper).
    Well, I speak pretty good Cree and everyone I know who's fluent says it the way I wrote the pronunciation. That's why I posted. If he was grading the paper you definitely went the right way, often in the language a "k" sound is so soft on the end of a word that it's barely audible. Not trying to nitpick, just sayin...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think your point is excellent. Corn would hold no more sugar than berries. Corn it is!!
    I would go with the berries,they seem a little more easily digested by the body than corn.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

found this interesting video. part of it is a good breakdown on corn. part 2 he shows how to roast osage red corn. which is basically just watching him stir a pot of it but anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQtjxpvf8Ak

he says the osage red will keep forever when toasted so it could presumably be used in pemmican

rick: i win.

that said, he also claims pemmican is disgusting.

im interested to know who here has eaten it and who likes it (or what they have done to make it taste good) and who doesnt.

I've eaten it plenty, I like it. Considering the recipe it probably isn't too terribly appealing to most modern day palettes.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Everything tastes better with Tobasco!!!!
    even

You've hit one topic I wanted to broach on this forum, right square on the head! Fine info, my thanks!

Does anybody have a link or info on how to render fat? The link in the first post is down and the article didn't mention how.

edit: nevermind. quick google search provided me with all the info needed
    Last edited by BC-Dave; 04-09-2011 at 01:16 AM.

Glad this was brought up as I was researching Pemmican a month ago going into early Summer here. The wife and I do a ton of canning and ehydrating as well as freezing when the farmers markets get going.

I;m finishing 100# potatoes in the next day and working through 100# onions as well as shelling about twenty # pecans and Brazil Nuts. Next week we'll be picking strawberries and shortly after blueberries then the FM again.

Any way back on topic...

As far as drying meat? Simplest method is one of the round dehydrators with a fan one can get at Wally World [[or whatever the equivalent is in great Britain] Humidity does not factor in.

I make a LOT of jerky and my old method used in Texas and Florida with high heat/humidity is to season the meat, marinate in Worscheshire and pepper sauce overnight then take a metal clothes hanger. At one end on the straight bottom metal right before it loops upward simply cut it then use pliers to bend a fish hook on that end. Where it goes up with the curve use the pliers to bend another fishhook so the two hold together when 'hooked'.

Push the strips of meat along the bottom wire leaving a gap until it it full then hang it from a nail outside underthe eaves or porch where there is a breeze. Heat of the day and breeze and it is done in a day.

If not '

~sigh~ One coherent sentence would be nice, eh?

If not dry you can finish in the oven on about 100*.

Never had an issue with bugs just some grit and drippings outside so newspaper is good if over carpet.

Now that's a basic jerky recipe but it might work for the Pemmi. I would not hang it without the seasonings however.
    Last edited by Satanta; 04-12-2011 at 11:53 AM.