Thread: Upgrading a canteen cup stove

Default Upgrading a canteen cup stove

After a month of stretching the limits of what a WWII and Vietnam era canteen cup stove can do this is my finished product.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I basically took the Desert Storm cup stove cut the bottom off, trimmed here and there, until it fit snugly into place. My goal was to improve the heating ability of a solid fuel such as Esbit and Trioxane. Below is a picture of the Desert Storm stove before,

These are the images of just the bottom conversion piece.

With this addition, I can get a light boil and sustain it for several minutes. Esbit fuel will start to boil in one minute and maintain a boil until the fuel runs out ten minutes later. Trioxane is more difficult. It will come to a boil in roughly four minutes and maintain it for and additional four minutes. These times were during little to no wind, and without the use of a windscreen.

I think I spent too much time trying to get a rolling boil out of it, when all I needed was a light boil. And since the bottom piece is not attached, you can lay it in the bottom of your canteen pouch. It is a tight fit but with a little aging the pouch will conform to the extra piece.

If you cannot find The Desert Storm stove, the rectangular Altoids tin lid will suffice. However it does not concentrate the heat as well.
    Last edited by Rick; 06-19-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Moved thread.
    Surviving the Fellini Kroger since 1993

The Desert Storm stoves are available just about anywhere. The older Vietnam style stoves are starting to get scarce.

I'm curious how much time you increase the boil time by. I happen to use that same set up but haven't bothered to time it.

That looks like it would give you the convenience of the Esbit tab if you needed it and the ability to use wood if available. Something the Desert Storm stove won't adapt to. I like it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In my area The old style is near impossible to get a hold of. I have seen two in six months.

I haven't done a side by side comparison but is seems to shorten the burn time. I think it's from the increased heat reflection.

I have considered trying wood, I was worried about it not creating enough heat since it's such a small setup. Securing the cup would be impossible unless you used real small pieces of wood.

Overall I was happy with it. But I'm afraid to do too much modifying since the older style sleeves are so hard to find.
    Surviving the Fellini Kroger since 1993

I've seen them on line. You just have to google them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice conversion Doren. I like it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Last edited by Rick; 06-19-2009 at 04:27 PM.