Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knives in progress

Blog Entries

I just put the stamps on the blades so after I finish up some other blades I am working on they are off to heat treat.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Where did you buy your stamps?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I bought it from harpers manufacturing online. It has worked out ok. When the stamps don't come out right its from user error. They also sell a jig to hold the stamp square while you hit it with the hammer.

Truely nice work. Something for us beginers to strive for.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What kind of heat treatment do they get? Do you send it to a local shop? What kind of shop is it?

Quote Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
    I just put the stamps on the blades so after I finish up some other blades I am working on they are off to heat treat.

Blog Entries

Jeff I am sending it to Peters Heat Treat, they are highly recommended and do the Rockwell hardness test and also cryo treat the blades. I think they are out of Pennsylvania, or some other yankee state. No offense to yall yankees out there.

Blog Entries

Just got the blades back from heat treat. I've got alot of work to do. My garage is only around 100 degrees today.

Looking forward to seeing the final products.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

How thick is number four counting from the left? Nice work Poncho Great design work! No offense man! but wanted you to know I will never be offended by engaging in a discussion about steels. I think you know alot about knifemaking and have alot to add to this forum.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Blog Entries

COWBOYSURVIVAL, don't even worry about it bro. Those are some of the longest post I have ever wrote and I am a man of few words. I enjoyed the exchange of ideas. It made me go out and do more research and learned new things thanks to that discussion. I am far from knowing it all, and it was cool teaching/learning with someone who enjoys something that I do. You are a top notch guy in my book. You didn't lose your cool and you statements where well thought out, where as me, I usually forget to dot my I's and cross my T's.

As for the knife it is 1/8 inch thick, 3.5 inches from the plunge to the tip, and the width of the blade from spine to edge is 7/8" at its thickest point. Its a small hunter style knife, the tang is kind of on the thin side but it will still function great for what it is designed for. I was going to use it in an antler but messed it up. I am going to use cocobolo for the handle with a brass guard.

COWBOYSURVIVAL, don't even worry about it bro. Those are some of the longest post I have ever wrote and I am a man of few words. I enjoyed the exchange of ideas. It made me go out and do more research and learned new things thanks to that discussion. I am far from knowing it all, and it was cool teaching/learning with someone who enjoys something that I do. You are a top notch guy in my book. You didn't lose your cool and you statements where well thought out, where as me, I usually forget to dot my I's and cross my T's.

As for the knife it is 1/8 inch thick, 3.5 inches from the plunge to the tip, and the width of the blade from spine to edge is 7/8" at its thickest point. Its a small hunter style knife, the tang is kind of on the thin side but it will still function great for what it is designed for. I was going to use it in an antler but messed it up. I am going to use cocobolo for the handle with a brass guard.
    It looks stout to me..I like the file' knives too! I have learned alot too and you as well made me do the research. Thanks to a display of words! looking forward to more of the same!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Blog Entries

I am guessing the first two may look like file knives, but they look that way cause of the scale from heat treatment. They are actually 1/16" ats34 stainless steel fillet knives and the third one will acompany one as a bait knife of sorts. I still need to figure out a design on the sheath to hold both blades.
    Last edited by panch0; 07-06-2009 at 10:25 PM.

I really like the shape of the center three.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I meant fillet knives! sorry for the spelling. I would look forward to dressing a 30lb Striper with one of those!
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 07-06-2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: bad typing...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I really like the shape of the center three.
    I don't really know what style those are. I would call them sort of like bushcraft but they are more like drop point hunters, or maybe utility, I dunno what do yall think? They are flat ground not convexed, 1/8". I made one a posted it up for sale and got two more orders for these.

30lb striper!!! Man I would be happy with a 15lb'er.

I don't really know what style those are. I would call them sort of like bushcraft but they are more like drop point hunters, or maybe utility, I dunno what do yall think? They are flat ground not convexed, 1/8". I made one a posted it up for sale and got two more orders for these.

30lb striper!!! Man I would be happy with a 15lb'er.
    My trophy is a mere 12lbs. but it is on the wall and is a pure landlocked striper. Caught in pure freshwater.

Blog Entries

Ok here I am done sanding off the scales from heat treat and added a leather cushion will be pulling it in one direction towards me. I will do this so I have straight sanding lines and no microhooks or scratches in all directions that will give the blade a dirty finnish when looked at in the sun.

Blog Entries

Ok after polishing her up I drilled the holes for the handles and used epoxy to attach the slabs. Soory I got exited and did'nt take any pics of this. I then removed excess material on the belt grinder and then used a file and sand paper to finish the handle. I wrap the blade with blue carpenters tape to protect the blade from getting scratches and stuff. Here is the knife let me know what you think. It is going to a new home in here in Texas as soon as I sharpen her up and make a kydex sheath for it.

On one side it looks like scratches on the ricasso, but it is the makers mark. On the other side it is just some dust that I did't wipe of correctly before taking the picture.

I think it's outstanding. I'd like to see your process for the kydex sheath if you can.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel