Thread: .44 shot shells

Default .44 shot shells

Has anyone used these in a lever gun. I'm pretty sure they won't feed, from the magazine,but I was thinking about the possibility of putting one in the chamber for squirrel hunting.

Well, not actually squirrel hunting. I was thinking of deer hunting with my .44 lever gun, but if don't see any deer, it would be nice to be able to put some squirrel or rabbit on the camp fire.

What do y'all think? Bad idea?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I haven't fired .44 shot shells (or any other caliber) out of a long gun. I have fired some from a hand gun though. While the pattern is probably tighter with a rifle, I question whether it would be a good hunting round due to the (probable) limited range. I suppose testing to find out the difference between hand gun and rifle would tell you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you roll your own (reload), you can get the components and tailor them to your rifle. At the short ranges used for a pistol with these shotshells normally #9 shot is used. But with the rifle, something larger (shot wise) might be better.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I haven't fired .44 shot shells (or any other caliber) out of a long gun. I have fired some from a hand gun though. While the pattern is probably tighter with a rifle, I question whether it would be a good hunting round due to the (probable) limited range. I suppose testing to find out the difference between hand gun and rifle would tell you.
    It sounds like you and I have the same doubts.

Oh well...I guess that just gives me an excuse to do some testing!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"