Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meth Labs

Default Meth Labs

One of the things that is mentioned for a reason to have to evacuate quickly (bug out) are meth labs. As most folks probably know, the materials that are used in the production of methamphetamene are extremely hazardous. I'll bet that many, when reading a post here regarding meth labs say to themselves - not here. There aren't any meth labs around where I live. Now, some of you that live in more remote locations are probably correct when you say that. I wonder how many folks in Tulsa, OK thought the same thing. http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/i..._methlabs.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Sudafed, anyone?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

A couple of months ago,my neighbor was arrestd for manufacturing meth,that property is less than a quarter mile away from me,there was no evacuation while they destroyed the lab,and there are neighbors almost directly across the street from them,with kids,and they were all standing there watching as the lab was dismantled.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I know of one rather expensive home probably built in the 80's that has been condemed and boarded up for at least 10 yrs, now after a meth lab was discovered. I don't know if it is state owned now or what.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Meth can be made anywhere. We did an MVA once and the guy had a mobile meth lab in the back. We got the guy and got out. If you do stumble into a meth lab GET OUT AND CALL 911.
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

I'm from Oklahoma and I can tell you that I think quite often about what would happen if one happened to go up in the apartment complex in which I live. Luckily, I can grab most of the important things I own before I lost my own apartment, even if the fire started just below me. And since I keep a BOB in my car, I'll have suitable equipment if need be.

The only time a meth lab is dangerous is when they are actually cooking the meth. If they just have the chemicals laying around then there is no problem.

Unfortunately cooking it is somewhat time consuming, and most people prefer the quick and easy method which is also the most dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by grundle View Post
    The only time a meth lab is dangerous is when they are actually cooking the meth. If they just have the chemicals laying around then there is no problem.

Unfortunately cooking it is somewhat time consuming, and most people prefer the quick and easy method which is also the most dangerous.
    I have to disagree with you on this one grundle. the byproducts of cooking are very dangerous.
    EMT Instructor

I'm with Mcdf45 on this one Grundle. The byproducts that are cooked off in the manufacturing process are extremely hazardous. If you were to enter a sturcture that regularly cooked meth without breathing aparatus you would be placing your health at risk. The clean-up of meth labs is very expensive and usually involves replaceing wall, carpets, etc.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm with Mcdf45 on this one Grundle. The byproducts that are cooked off in the manufacturing process are extremely hazardous. If you were to enter a sturcture that regularly cooked meth without breathing aparatus you would be placing your health at risk. The clean-up of meth labs is very expensive and usually involves replaceing wall, carpets, etc.
    Good points. I was speaking only of the dangers of explosion. I wasn't really thinking of the noxious fumes.

Blog Entries

Good grief, I never realised just how prolific these labs were, having only seen them on the TV in a show. I'm not sure whether meth is being made over here or not, I do know it has begun to appear on the streets, but is being smuggled in. I've no doubt that if the market for the stuff increases meth labs will pop up all over the place. Cannabis farms are the really big business over here.

Good points. I was speaking only of the dangers of explosion. I wasn't really thinking of the noxious fumes.
    It is still explosive when not being cooked.
    EMT Instructor

To Crash's post, whether we deem it dangerous or not really isn't the question. The question that we should be asking is,

"Are you prepared to leave at a moment's notice should an officer knock on your door and tell you to evacuate?"

If the agency in charge deems it a danger worthy of evacuation then the rest is a mute point. It's just one of many such dangers that could force us to "Bug Out".

If you answered NO to the question then you have some more work to do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

growing up in the central valley of california meth labs exploding where as much a part of life as small earthquakes. god im glad i dont live there anymore.

!!Kaboom!!

"Listen, honey. That crazy John is out there brewing up some meth again." (chuckles and shakes head)

"I do hope he's alright."

"Alright? He's fine. Why he's been blown up more times than an inflatable prom date."

"Charles! (shaking finger) You stop that."

(chuckles and turns page of newspaper) "Crazy California." (shakes head)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

rick: exactly. the only part you were missing is where charles and his wife are pissed cause now they have to find a new place to score.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I just don't know about nipping private enterprise in the bud. First, see if they are paying taxes on their income before complaining. If so get the local constabulary to sandbag the trailer. Let them earn their payoff. Get hazmat gear free from them also. Demand a small percentage of their gross income, but not in grubby $1 bills. Private enterprise has long been stifled by large drug companies pushing Oxycontin at inflated prices and competition is good for the economy.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I'm not used to irony from you Coot. I may have to go lay down.

Blog Entries

Compared to crack and heroin, there's not much crystal up this way. No difference - they'll all kill you soon enough.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark