Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Before You Ask About A New Pack........

MMhmMmmm

Quote Originally Posted by notlost View Post
    If it's ok I'd like to wake this conversation up.
    First I'd be willing to bet that none of you own "a" pack, and right here I'm willing to lighten my soul and confess that I have on occasion owned as many as five backpacks at one time ,A frames, internal frames no frames... . So I guess what I'm saying is that there may be no (at least I haven't found it) one pack if you do a lot of different stuff that requires portage by oneself. I don't know about now but back in the day places like R.E.I that operated out of old warehouses and didn't sell frills, rented outdoor gear and that was one way to try out different stuff, you could find out if it was a backpack , a backache or a pos
    Peace
    I have packs for different occasions and at least two with duplicate items... gotta be ready to go, and multi-use
    Mountain Man

Thank you Ken, the questions are great. It's made me reevaluate what to look for in a pack. Your da man.

Quote Originally Posted by notlost View Post
    If it's ok I'd like to wake this conversation up.
    First I'd be willing to bet that none of you own "a" pack,
    I don't have very many. Right now I only have 4 that are working, and one that is not complete. I am also making one for my son, and I gave my baby sister one of my better packs to use (it is an old habit of mine to look after my baby sister). The army gave me a few, but I never owned them, just used them a lot.

So...how much are you "willing to bet"?

(Hey I know he posted this a year ago and hasn't been back for a while, I am just sayin'......)
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Two complete molle packs arrived today. It's the MOLLE II Standard Backpack including a Gen-IV lightweight External Frame, Enhanced Shoulder Straps, Waist-belt, Rucksack, and Sleep System Carrier. I've also picked up a couple of sustainment pouches for each pack. I'll have to see how these guys rate against the ALICE.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I believe that when one asks about a pack its like asking about the best knife... they want it for survival. thats my understanding on the questioning, that seems to be the norm..... mostly everything is about survival. I find that a lot of times people want to be told what to get. any knife can be used for a survival knife... any pack can be used as a survival pack, there are knives and packs that work better than others. I say... grab a knife and pack that you feel will work for you, use it. get to understand what works and what doesnt, then keep what you like, and change what doesnt work. because a pack costs 600 dollars, doesnt make it the perfect pack, same with the knife.the individual needs to research, research, research. take a survival class or 2, and when you have the understanding, you can answer your own question

Yeah, you pretty much have summed it up.......
    Get what works for you.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

How about the color of th back pack? There is something about a bright color backpack that just drives me crazy....................pet peeve I guess! I only own backpacks that are a natural color and right now they are camo and olive drab. I guess I just want to be able to travel as much under the radar as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    How about the color of th back pack? There is something about a bright color backpack that just drives me crazy....................pet peeve I guess! I only own backpacks that are a natural color and right now they are camo and olive drab. I guess I just want to be able to travel as much under the radar as possible!
    I tend to go for under the radar stuff in most things except on the slopes and prefer that Mr. B do the same. It's kinda nice being able to spot each other across the way among multitudes of skiers if we get separated.

Being under the radar depends on the environment. I have more danged packs than Carter has liver pills. Most are dull colors but some are not. My get home bag is just plain black to blend in no matter where I am. For my Alice and Molle bags I also have white covers for winter.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I bought an old Army issue medium Alice, and the straps on those things are something of a mystery until you finally figure them out. Now I still need the waist strap because it did not ccome with the pack. Considering that I got an Alice in good shape for $10, I really can't complain!

I have a large molle rucksack now Ive had ultralights and a few others. I have to say the molle is really comfy at least for me but as you guys have said its what works for you. I really like the lower compartment for sleep system I use a down sleeping bag so it leaves room down there for cloths and other stuff. I did pick up a couple of sustainment pouches for things I want easy access to. As for the alice pack I like mine it was a large alice but it was no where near as comfy as my molle

Well...as inexperience as I may be...I'm only used to the army back pack..as that type has been on my back when I was in the Service for a number of good hard years..without any frames...I own an army green military style Lowe Alpine for many years. Its still good and made of cordura. I have a rain cover which i bought for the backpack if it rains...or just wear my poncho over the bag..no frills. Lately, I found that I do not use this pack often as this pack can take anytime about 60 lbs of packing...as my packing are now quite less.
    I use a day pack for my sub 10lbs worth of packing if its for a 2 nighter. I use a Camelbak Mule if I am just hiking for a day with kits inside. The Low Alpine is only used when I am really going for about a week.
    When I ride my dirt bike up the hilly trails, I pack everything into my Giantloop Coyote Saddlebag. My survival kit still in a hydration pack on my back.. So...to me..just get that one back pack for long hiking trips and simple day packs for that short trip.. Sometime,, a 5.11 PUSH sling bag is good enough.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!