Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking with Lemon Juice

Default Cooking with Lemon Juice

I recall a fishing show called "Go Fish" a while ago on TV, which stated you could cook fish in direct sunlight using lemon juice and that the acid would actually cook the fish. I am not talking about a solar cooker here but they did use a metal bowl. Anyone ever tried this?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I have acid cooked different fish with varying results. Thin flounder filets tasted great after about 20 minutes. Cod filets that I sliced to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick took quite a bit longer (about an hour). I was just never consistent with my results.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Was sunlight involved or do you rely on the acid alone?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Mine was all done indoors. Don't know how sunlight or UV light would affect the process.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here is a link for "ceviche" looks like vinegar is also needed.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2147215_cook-fish-cooking.html

I never tried vinegar. My grandmother used to pickle herring in it (I think it was called Solomon Gundy sp?)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

While looking for more on the subject of this post. I ran accross something else on the subject of cooking fish. We have all cooked fish on the grill or campfire in aluminum foil. Consider you don't have any foil. Take an unopened 12 oz. alum. can. With the can lying horizontally cut a slot lengthwise in the can pour the contents in something to consume when your done here. Push a fillet and some butter or oil of some sort in the can maybe some onions, lemon dill and herb seasoning, salt and pepper, whatever you normally like or have available. Place it on the coals or preferably above the coals.

Used to cook in cans all the time when I was a kid (clams, mussels). Just make sure that the can you choose does not have a plastic liner in it (many do).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As I was told,
    It all started with some fishermen in the Bahamas(close enough) long time ago......
    They carried lime and Rum for survival use ....only...yup true
    One guy said let's season the fish..( "Salt Water" fish can be eaten raw)since they only had lime and RUM.Rum,WHAT NO WAY MAN, it was not going to be rum
    Now you know the real story,as I was told while semi slllober.

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
    As I was told,
    It all started with some fishermen in the Bahamas(close enough) long time ago......
    They carried lime and Rum for survival use ....only...yup true
    One guy said let's season the fish..( "Salt Water" fish can be eaten raw)since they only had lime and RUM.Rum,WHAT NO WAY MAN, it was not going to be rum
    Now you know the real story,as I was told while semi slllober.
    Semi SLOBER? I see! LOL

Another note I found reading on this subject is this. Be aware you have not heated the fish so bacteria if present has not been killed. This may lend itself to saltwater fish as mentioned by MISCHIEF.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Another note I found reading on this subject is this. Be aware you have not heated the fish so bacteria if present has not been killed. This may lend itself to saltwater fish as mentioned by MISCHIEF.
    True my friend ,for freshwater fish,also use Petroleum jelly to plug your (private thingy)when in the fresh water swamps.

I don't know about that one Mischeif I have been swimming in swamps from MS to FL my entire life with no problems. But probably good advice if I was somewhere else.

You won't have problems. He's just kinky that way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Sounds like he ran out of cotton balls for his petrolium jelly, so now he's using.......oh, nevermind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I recall a fishing show called "Go Fish" a while ago on TV, which stated you could cook fish in direct sunlight using lemon juice and that the acid would actually cook the fish. I am not talking about a solar cooker here but they did use a metal bowl. Anyone ever tried this?
    It's called chemical or acidity cooking. It is not the same as thermal cooking,in that it doesn't kill all food born illness causing contaminates. Only the finest, freshest fish can be prepared this way.

I make ceviche (Raw fish marinated in lime or lemon juice (or both) and spices) at least once a month. I just make it in a deep dish, cover with saran wrap and leave it in the fridge for 24 to 36 hours, then add either grapefruit juice or orange juice for another 6-12 hours, then serve. Heat or foil are not needed (defiantly no heat, and no reason to use foil). Makes a wonderful seafood salad! I drizzle olive oil on it before serving (extra virgin, cold pressed kind)
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 06-03-2009 at 02:21 AM.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

That sounds yummy.

Just a side note, as Gray wolf says No Foil. Its not needed and the acidity from the citrus or vinegar will eat away at the foil and ruin the food. I learned this the hard way.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

I had the good fortune to be served Ceviche in TX years ago. They used lemon juice, sliced tomatoes, onions and Flounder. I honestly don't remember vinegar, but it might have been added as well. They said a firm fleshed freshwater fish like catfish could be used instead of saltwater fish, but I don't know if it is true or not.

I recall lemon juice being used to cook shrimp in a dish I had one day in South America... Ceviche I think. So yes I think it's possible to cook fish with lemon juice.