Thread: boy scouts

Default boy scouts

I just joined the BSA this weekend and I have just started tenderfoot scout for those of you who know what I am talking about. I am sure someone on here has been a boy scout and maybe been an eagle scout. I am 14 and determined to get my eagle, but I only have 4 years to do it. I am getting to go to scout camp next week and am getting 4 merit badges. I have done a lot of the stuff required for levels and merit badges like basketry, pottery, camping, there is even one for wilderness survival, but I have to do it again and get it signed by a troop leader.

For those of you that have done boy scouts, do you have any advise for me, please? Do I have time to not rush? Any advise is appreciated.
    Pickin' n' Grinnin'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman View Post
    I just joined the BSA this weekend and I have just started tenderfoot scout for those of you who know what I am talking about. I am sure someone on here has been a boy scout and maybe been an eagle scout. I am 14 and determined to get my eagle, but I only have 4 years to do it. I am getting to go to scout camp next week and am getting 4 merit badges. I have done a lot of the stuff required for levels and merit badges like basketry, pottery, camping, there is even one for wilderness survival, but I have to do it again and get it signed by a troop leader.

For those of you that have done boy scouts, do you have any advise for me, please? Do I have time to not rush? Any advise is appreciated.
    Hey, that's great!

I was a scout, too. Only for about a year, though.... I wish I had hung in there and climbed all the way up the ranks.

Both of my sons are Eagle Scouts - I'm very proud of both of them. It's a tremendous accomplishment!

Good luck!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Snakeman - the best advice I can offer is have fun and enjoy yourself. There's a lot to learn - I'm 53 and still learning new things all the time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The question comes down to this, are you doing for the status of being an Eagle scout or are you doing it for the learning experience and the hands on experience? If it is the latter then enjoy yourself and get the merit badges you have an interest in.
    I know what hunts you.

Well said Sarky!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Blog Entries

Cool Hey Snakeman!

We have many members on here that are active BSA Scoutmasters who can advise you.. I was an Assistant S/M years ago myself as well as an Explorer Scout prior to that, although all we did was go camping in Wisconsin. (Beautiful country there.) Here's the best advice I can give you, forget the badges, if you want to earn them, fine, but learn the system so you can become a leader & teach those younger than you, or even older, the Survival info that can keep them alive. 1st aid is priority #1 in my book! Finally, the best part of Scouting should be the outdoors, not making a freaking basket, but whatever, I'm sure you'll do fine.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

My son is a Boy Scout now and is a Life Scout, one rank below Eagle. He is 13 and should make Eagle by age 14, maybe 15. He has been in scouts since age 5. I'm real proud of him.

You are a bit behind in the ranks but if you work hard you can get 2 ranks per year and get to Eagle by age 18. My son did 2 ranks per year and is still doing it, even with challenging amounts of homework.

We had an Eagle ceremony last weekend and a speaker said only 1% of scouts become Eagle. It's a real boost on your resume. Although non-scouts may tease you for it because they don't understand the usefulness of learning new skills, learning to be independant, and helping others.

He did the Survival Night at age 12, when he built a shelter himself and slept in it. It rained that night and the kids in the tents got real wet (improper placement of tarp under the tents) and he was perfectly dry.
    Last edited by bulrush; 06-15-2009 at 10:15 AM.