View Poll Results: Which caliber do you prefer?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • .45 acp

17 58.62%
  • 9mm

12 41.38%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Most people vote to reinforce the choice that they already made. Most people have "NO" first hand field experience with terminal ballistic performance, and choose based on some magazine article advise. Both cartridges are WONDERFUL, and you can bet your life on either, assuming proper bullet placement. To strongly support one over the other, indicates you would prefer to be shot by your second choice........I don't want too stop either one, even at 300 Yards.

I voted for the 9MM however not because I think it is more GOOODER, but because I own a S&W M-39, and own no .45 ACP's at this time.
    Well said, my choice does reflect real time usage, but I would say either one is much better than "chunking rocks"
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

The only real arguement I could give against using a .22 LR for a self defense weapon is the same one used hundreds of times in the past. That being the fact that it is a Rimfire and even high quality rimfire ammo tends to be less dependable than centerfire.
    Saying that I have carried a Beretta Model 21-a as a defense gun in the past with no worries. CCI Stingers shot very well out of this little mouse gun and I don't know anyone who would relish the idea of taking hits from them.

I have this fascination with .32 cal firearms...whether it is Blackpowder or Smokeless.
    It probably stems from my introduction to Revolvers by my father shooting his old Nickle Plated Smith and Wesson .32 Long. I believe it was a Model 12.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rat31465 View Post
    The only real arguement I could give against using a .22 LR for a self defense weapon is the same one used hundreds of times in the past. That being the fact that it is a Rimfire and even high quality rimfire ammo tends to be less dependable than centerfire.
    Saying that I have carried a Beretta Model 21-a as a defense gun in the past with no worries. CCI Stingers shot very well out of this little mouse gun and I don't know anyone who would relish the idea of taking hits from them.

I have this fascination with .32 cal firearms...whether it is Blackpowder or Smokeless.
    It probably stems from my introduction to Revolvers by my father shooting his old Nickle Plated Smith and Wesson .32 Long. I believe it was a Model 12.
    The first gun I ever fired was a 12 gauge. The first handgun I fired was a .32. I now own three .32 pistols. One is still my everyday carry because of its concealability and reliability. I know most of the other handguns I have are better overall choices, but I love my .32s.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Does anyone else find it curious that in the poll results I posted, the 22 LR scored better than the .32 ACP?

And that .380 ACP didn't even receive a single vote?
    Dosen't suprise me at all. The .32 and .380 are being replaced with better rounds (IMO) on platforms that can be every bit as small and concealable as the .32 and .380. The 22 recieving more votes - inexpensive, lightweight, efficient for small game - at least that's why I would select the .22 over the other two.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Understandable. I also have a special place in my heart for my .22s. Three rifles, three pistols. Long and short. My Walther P-22 is just fun to shoot. My Beretta Minx is a great pocket gun.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I also have a special place in my heart for.

Ken, Does your Sweetie know about all these other loves......?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Ken, Does your Sweetie know about all these other loves......?
    Yeah, she does. She says it's okay as long as I don't bring them into bed with us. And get this, her daughters (15 & 18) and mine (22) all love to fire 'em. I started them all off with BB guns two years ago, and now have to include their ammo in our weekly budget.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I voted for 9mm, .45 is a lot of fun, but 9mm is just more practical for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kx250kev View Post
    My $.02...get both...eventually, but first buy the 9 mm for a SHTF weapon You can carry more 9mm ammo. Later you can pair it up with a 9mm carbine for the ultimate SHTF combo.
    Or take it one step farther, like I have, and get a Glock 17 or 34 (34 for me) along with a KelTec Sub2000 carbine that not only uses the same ammo, but also uses the same magazines.

A have a bunch of 17 and 33 round mags that work in either gun, and the Sub2k folds down to 16" long, neatly fitting into a daypack, making for a potent bug-out bag.

Those two weapons form the frontline of my portable self defense needs, along with a S&W340PD, which is a 2" barrel hammerless .357 revolver with a scandium frame that weighs only 11 ounces empty and 13 ounces loaded.

9mm for sure. 9mm = carry more ammo on your person, carry more ammo in the gun , cheap training ammo , found world wide, better second shot recovery time , better tacticle / intermediate barrier penetration, deabatably more reliable than a 1911....DEBATABLY. I now carry a 40 on the job but carried 9mm 124gr. +p+ ammo for years and never felt undergunned in some of the worst places immaginable. I had an old partner who had a run in with an sks weilding idiot who wanted to trade copper. This is the break down. Perp = 17 shot w/ no hits. Cop = 8 shots w/ two hit (chest/thigh). DEAD PERP! The 9mm works and works as well as anything else. I could give ya a couple more war stories but that is neither here nor there. Suffice to say the 9mm really does work damned well. Mostly Rookies dis the 9 because they havent seen all the cold slabed bangers that have fallen to the "Little Bitty 9mm". We veteran officers know that they all kill pretty good if you do your part.
    Last edited by glockcop; 07-03-2009 at 01:53 AM.