Thread: Lessons learned... living "homeless"...

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

Default Lessons learned... living "homeless"...

Today is my 50th day of "being homeless" (though I hate that description because it is so misleading and the term is oft' associated with with misconceptions - most especially from those who have condescending attitudes for the "poor people".

I have actually been living in the Salvation Army's "New Hope" Center, here in Colorado Springs (for all but my 1st night). There are actually some specific reasons for me "being homeless" (see my MYSPACE BLOG for details... but that is not the point of this post).

The past 50 days has been an interesting experience with "lessons learned". Due to policies of the Salvation Army "New Hope" Center, I will be "kicked out" tomorrow... and start being "homeless" for real... camping out. One of the lessons learned is that much of the charitable "giving" of the community is to provide a sense of "obligations met" for helping the "poor people". I put "New Hope" in quotes, because it is a fascade of the community at large. Granted, free food, showers, water, electricity, etc is provided free of charge... for that, I am quite thankful... however... to prevent this post from turning into an "editorial" on the social inadequacies of the nation as a whole... I'll move along.

One lesson learned is: take advantage of that which is available; but don't take it for granted. Becoming dependant on "externally provided" provisions, shelter, etc is not being wise. If those things are provided, they can be taken away... or given at a price... most notebly, at the price of freedom and excercising control over an "expendable" portion of the population.

Another lesson learned is that "birds of a feather, flock together". Those in the men's shelter tend to group together, make associations with, and form alliances with those of a similar "bent". The ex-cons would often associate with the other "ex-cons". Those who have a "bad heart" (a reference toward their character) would associate with others with "bad hearts". Those with "good hearts" "have fellowship" or, hang out with, with like-minded others.
    And some stay to themselves.. and avoid association with any one else... those are the "unknowns".

Aother lesson learned is that you should listen alot, ask questions, and learn. That would be a great example to follow in many areas of life... even on message board forums. There are some that have "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" and the gotten scars from life - but they never really learned anything. Others share what they have learned... and are willing to learn even more... And then, there are those who are just wasting my oxygen but think that the law of the jungle rules...and try to bluff their way past the masses... until they meet a "bigger" ape.

Yet another lesson learned is that CONTROL is the tool of choice for those who would rule the masses. That applies to the federal government, the corporate CEOs, and the directing staff of "homeless shelters... it is also the tool of choice for those who would prey on the "weak", the ignorant, the fearful, and those who have been dealt a "bad hand" in life.

In these times in which we live... I see a divide occurring. And that divide is growing... that divide is between those who are prepared... and those who are not. Included in that grouping are those who are manipulating conditions for gain... and those who are allowing their control to slip away... for another meal, another night with a roof over their head, another day clawing your way towards that degree of survival that is acceptable to you...

and then... there are those who prepare and refuse to bow down to those who would dictate control...

Overall, these past 50 days have been enlightening... and now... it is time for me to learn the next stage... many thanks to those - here - who have helped me prepare...
    all men die; few truly live

Hugs to you wildopraghy,good luck and God bless.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Hey, Wild! I've wondered how you've been doing. I'm sorry to read about what you've been through and what's ahead in your immediate future, but once you get by this you'll have some good lessons learned, and a different and valuable perspective on things - albeit all learned the hard way.

I guess you've just given all of us a small lesson as well........

Good luck with everything life's throwing at you. Keep in touch when you can.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Good luck, hope things work out for you
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I'm glad that you are doing as well as you are. Thank you for the update. I truely hope that things work out for you. I find some of the statements that you made to be very interesting. Especially since they are in the same post.
    being homeless" (though I hate that description because it is so misleading and the term is oft' associated with with misconceptions - most especially from those who have condescending attitudes for the "poor people"
    but then you go on to say
    much of the charitable "giving" of the community is to provide a sense of "obligations met" for helping the "poor people".
    and
    CONTROL is the tool of choice for those who would rule the masses. That applies to the federal government, the corporate CEOs, and the directing staff of "homeless shelters... it is also the tool of choice for those who would prey on the "weak", the ignorant, the fearful, and those who have been dealt a "bad hand" in life.
    With that, aren’t you doing what you hate when others do it? I’m not sure how you got into your situation (haven’t read your Myspace page – heck, don’t even know how to find your Myspace page) but you did drop some clues prior to losing your home. Please do not take this the wrong way because it is not intended to be criticism. I believe that the majority (not all) of people are in the situation that they are because of decisions they have made in their lives, both good situations and bad situations. I will certainly keep you in my prayers and hope that things work out for you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

glad to hear your enduring, learning and living.

Just curious, what is the demographic of folks your living with?
    In these trying economic times its seems old sterotypes of homeless people
    are being broken.

Lastly....I just have to chuckle at the idea of a homeless guy having a Myspace page...LOL
    You gotta love America! our homeless people can be obese, and connected!

Best of luck to you buddy, I enjoy reading your posts
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

not calling you obese by the way...I've just seen some obese homeless folks before
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Hey Wild thanks for the update, I'll keep praying for your safety and a positive turnaround in your situation.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Sorry to hear about your situation bud. There are alot of things to be thankful for anyway. You dont have a wife and kids to worry about, youve got your health, and you have experience to survive better than most or all of the others around you. I dont know your story, if you have tranportation, a trade ect. Having camping gear and a place to go is a plus. The work situation is very bad for many, me included, so good luck and remember,the difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you percieve them.

Oh wow, wild, I am sorry to hear all this. I just joined here and this is my first of your situation. Like stairman said if you have camping gear you will have a big plus. Our town has a "soup kitchen" it doesnt matter if they look down on the poor or not, as long as you can get food and water you can certainly survive with very little shelter as its summer. And you can use the Library for pc use, just get a card. You are in my prayers.
    Kitty

"The toes you step on today may be attached
    to the arse you have to kiss tomorrow"

Wildography,
    - How dangerous is a homeless shelter to the average person? (i.e. to one who is not military trained)
    - Are the "bad boys" all bark and no bite, or are they truly good fighters who fight with smarts?
    - Is stealing rampant, occasional? Do you get a locked locker to put your stuff in?
    - How about fights? Rampant, occasional, or something else?
    - Can you skip around to different homeless shelters?

Hope you find a way to get by. Hope you can find a job too.

This is more common than people know. I've been there too, though I lived out in the local national forest.

There are many people also sleeping on friends couches, in cars, and moving back in with mom and dad.

The great divide in America is increasing. Expect much worse before it gets better.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

100 years ago it was common for the children to live with their parents. Sometimes even after the kids got married. The kids saved up for their own place and lived with the parents in the meantime.

We (the current generation) have experienced great success in a growing economy (up until about the 1980's) that we think moving out at age 18 to get our own place (because we can afford it) is now normal when it is, in fact, the exception. An exception made during a long growth phase of the US from about 1945 to mid-1980s. Since the mid 1980's the economy has been getting worse, lead by the shrinking auto and manufacturing industries.