Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: strange things afoot

Beo, I should correct the my term of "bear walker" in my culture we have no parallel word for such the true creature in Anishnabee culture that are predominent here. I used it to give a reference name for those familiar with Anishnabee culture. In that culture a "bear walker" is indeed an evil presence, not to be misconstrued with part of the Bear lore, clan, lodge or rites.
    It is not a Wendigo either.
    The creature in our culture, is a shape shifting evil creature that is sent by a dark witch (bruho) to torment, eventually destroy someone. Often taking the shape of a bear, wolf or some large predator.
    And how did you know that a load of crap was often left at the seen??
    I wonder.
    I have seen it on several occasion along with a few other peoples. So far I am still alive but that is another story.
    To thyne self be true

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last spring, a moose went through the candle ice right in front of our cabin. He struggled for quite a while but eventually managed to heave himself up onto the shore ice and then melted back into the woods. While he was still fighting to get out, another moose was starting to cross over this way from the other side of the lake! As soon as the one moose was out, we started hollering and howling with the dogs to discourage that second moose from crossing, which luckily worked. Then one hour later, a young cow moose was on the ice, just a few yards from where the one moose had gone through! She kept gingerly placing one leg, slowly shifting her weight, and freezing when it felt unsafe. This time we didn't dare to make a sound but fortunately she decided the ice was too rotten and turned back into the woods. That was quite the evening!!

PS, It has cost me dearly already.
    To thyne self be true

Just another entry: Anishnabee= Ojibwa

bear walker (plural bear walkers)

1. (Native American, folklore) an evil sorcerer, specifically one who walks by night in the form of a bear.
    * 1983, Christopher Vecsey, Traditional Ojibwa Religion and its Historical Changes[1], ISBN 0871691523, page 148,

These bear-walkers owed their powers to their personal manito, the bear, and traveled in disguise at night, causing disease among their victims.
    To thyne self be true

Blog Entries

Didn't mean anything by it carcajou garou, I was joking although it is hard for most whites and these days alot of people to believe in such things. My good friend Medicine Wolf would be kicking my azz for saying that, I apoligize and hope I didn't offend you or any of the Native American's here.
    Of the spirit you spoke of I have not heard only similar types of things such as skinwalkers, and of course the Wnedigo. The Wendigo I actually do believe in as the native American Elders and historians I have talked to have offered up too much evidence.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

No offence just educating in a good way.

I could recount one confrontation with the creature that would have you in stitches... actually save my Harley from theft, go figure
    To thyne self be true

Blog Entries

Default The Wendigo

This is the research for my Native American Novel (due out this year) on the Wendigo, the information was received from the Ojibwe tribe at First Ojibwe.net, the Cheyenne of the Southern Cheyenne reservation, and the Blackfeet tribe of Blackfeet Indian Nation in Northern Montana, The Lewistown Reservation Shawnees, the Cherokee Nation, and the Seneca-Cayuga Tribe of Oklahoma, and the Miami and Deleware Nations.
    The history of the Wendigo dates back so many years that most who were interviewed either could not remember when the story had not been told, or would not talk of this evil spirit. Among the Indian tribes it has several names: Wendigo, Windingo, Witigo, Wetiko, and Wee-Tee-Go, but each roughly translates to mean “the evil spirit that devours mankind.”
    Native American versions of the creature speak of an evil spirit up to eight feet tall, which had once been human but transformed into a creature by an act of cannibalism. Though all of the descriptions of the creature vary slightly, the Wendigo is generally said to have glowing eyes, long yellowed fangs, and an overly long tongue. Most have a grey-yellowish skin but others are said to have matted hair. They are all tall and lanky and driven by a horrible hunger. But how could a person grow to become one of these strange creatures? According to legend, the Wendigo is created whenever a human resorts to cannibalism to survive. In years past, such a practice was possible, although rare, as the severe snows and ice cut off many tribes and settlers. Unfortunately, eating another person to survive was sometimes resorted to and thus the legend of the Wendigo was created. But how real were (or are) these creatures? Could the legend of the Wendigo have been created merely as a “warning” against cannibalism? While this is unknown, it is believed that white settlers took the stories seriously. Sightings of the Wendigo have been told from the frontier days up until now, from the late 1800s around a town called Rosesu, in Northern Minnesota, to the last century. One of the more famous cases of beccoming a Windigo involved aBlackfoottrapper from Alberta named Swift Runner. During the winter of 1878, Swift Runner and his family were starving, and his eldest son died. Within just 25 miles of emergency food supplies at a Hudson Bay Company post, Swift Runner butchered and ate his wife and five remaining children. He eventually confessed, and was executed by authorities at Fort Saskatchewan. That he resorted to cannibalism so near to food supplies, and that he killed all those present, reveal that Swift Runner's was not a case of pure cannibalism as a last resort to avoid starvation, but rather a man suffering from Windigo Psychosis and becoming a homicidal cannibal. Another famous tale is of the Wendigo hunter named Jack Fiddler, a Cree Indian. He claimed to have killed no less than fourteen of the creatures in his lifetime, although the last murder resulted in his imprisonment at age 87. In October of 1907, Fiddler and his son Joseph, were tried for the murder of a Cree Indian woman. They both plead guilty to the crime but defended themselves by stating that the woman had been possessed by the spirit of a Wendigo and was on the verge of transforming into one entirely. According to their defense, she had to be killed before she murdered others of the tribe. There are still many stories told of Wendigo’s that have been seen in North America.
    In Northern Ontario near the cave of the Wendigo, and around the town of Kenora, where a creature said to be a Wendigo, has been spotted by traders, trackers, and trappers for decades, there are many who still believe that the Wendigo roams the forests and prairies of North America. Whether it seeks human flesh, or acts as a portent of coming doom is anyone’s guess. But, before you start to doubt that it exists- remember that the legends and stories of this fearsome creature have been around since before the white man walked these lands. The legends had to have gotten started somehow, didn’t they?
    White historians will tell you that this tale is made up with no proof to back it (unless you ask a Native American or look at the track record of our early white historians) and it’s an old legend to scare kids to sleep. So remember… when you head into the forests of North America… in the winter when it’s cold and gray… if you get lost and can’t find your way out… Beware! The spirit of the Wendigo may be lurking about. Nahhhh it's an old myth ain't it?
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

And I see by your Location: Kanata you are in your vilage, very nice as most would think it was the first word for Canada.

Ya, the blackrobe's mis-interpretation of our word describing a village.
    To thyne self be true

Interesting thread. I've picked up a thing or two or three. Thanks carcajou!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Will my story is not as good but ...A friend and I would go cat fishing on weekends will out in the spring about 11:00PM we heard a hum out on the lake and then a light came on but it was in the water this all stopped at the same time , about 10 min. later the hum and light was back this time it was closer. Bob never said anything to me and I did say a word so we sate there for over an hour with that hum and light come closer all the time. Then all at once it was right in front of us not a hundred feet out.. Here are two grown men not really easy to scare but I will say my hair was on end I had no idea what it was , tell then ..Two guy out carp hunting with bows they had a generator and lights in the water but you could not see the boat just the lights under the boat. later Bob said he was ready the leave a long time ago but said of I was man enough to stay put so was he there was just something about a light in the water that is not supposed to be there that will put you on edge, it was very funny
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    i saw someone running around the forest naked by the lake of the woods , he was screaming that his dick had flown away and he needed to catch it , dono what he took but he was really ****ed up.

once when i was hunting 'cough' wolves in 'cough' riding mountain national park with my friend tyler he grabbed me and said he saw a sasquatch, we went down the hill and thought we saw it so we loosed our entire clip of 'cough' 40 rounds of .308 British and .270 Win on it from about a kilometer away when we went to check what it was (it was hard to tell we kinda blew it to pieces) it was a moose. it was prty weird but you had to be there to truely find humor in two teenagers one 'cough' firing full auto at something out of eyesight in the middle of a provincial park. did i mention neither of us had a scope?
    You're scaring me.Please DO NOT come west.

Blog Entries

NJ Pine Barrens.

Riding our motorcycles down the sandy dirt roads, through the woods and came upon a spot where a jet had crashed.

Another riding trip we ended up in an area that was used for some kind of satonic rituals.

Yet another trip landed us in an area with a pack of wild dogs that chased us for miles. We got the bikes loaded and in the truck right before the dogs circled the truck.

While riding once, we came upon a cabin in the middle of nowhere. The family was on the porch, about 8 of them, most with guns. Yeh, we got out of there real fast.

Once while stalking through the pines, I came upon a cut up steer.

We use to go deep into the Pine Barrens and there was all kinds of weird stuff.

Yeh, and being dumb sheots, we use to have parties in the Pines and go hunting the Jersey Devil at midnight. The trees use to reach out and grab us, we would run and run, and we found ourselves in a cedar swamp, with the trees grabbing us.

Indian springs, we took off our bdu's to take a swim in the iced mountain stream in spring, and we got covered by lady bugs, that stung. One guy jumped into the water and busted his nose on a rock.

Also at Indian springs, we were being tracked by a mountain lion.

Two years back, on Spooky Mountain, in my treestand and I hear a deer. Ended up being a goat. How the heck does a goat get all the way back where I was hunting, and how did it survive. Let the strange critter go.

Delaware River, back in 78 or 79, early morning plugging for stripers, I saw a submarine. Yes it was, I don't care what you say, it was a freak'n submarine.

I once saw a seagull swoop down & gobble up a baby duck while it was swimming with it's siblings behind mama.Another time same thing but this time a big ol' jackfish got one from below.Kinda like Jaws.Neatest thing was seeing a young eagle swim.We were fishing in a small bay & noticed it in a tree watching something in the water.Turns out a small fish was floating dead.The eagle tried a couple times to skim over the water & grab the fish in it's claws but kept missing.Finally it sat in the tree studying the situation for a few minutes.Suddenly it tried again & managed to connect but miscalculated & hit the water.Rather than let go,it used it's wings to "paddle" to shore where it finally got to eat it's hard earned meal.Other than that,just the usual,seeing moose,caribou & bears swimming from island to island plus a couple wolf kills & various encounters over the years with them.Always nice to see.

It is not what I saw but what I should have. I was hiking in Pennsylvania. A trail along a creek bed. SW of Champersberg PA. I got to one of those covered wooden bridges and crossed the creek using it, about sun down. I set up camp on the other side, on a flat spot, where I could just make out the covered wooden bridge.

When I woke in the morning the bridge was gone. Looking back up the creek about 75 yards the way I had came the evening before. Was a mettle bridge with traffic crossing on it. I walked to it and saw a paved road, I would have had to cross this road to get to where I had made my camp. There was a gas station and a dinner close by. I went to the dinner and ordered a cup of coffee. On the back wall was a picture of the covered bridge from a new paper article about the bridge burning down to vandals back in the 50's. That is 1850's A new bridge was built up stream from the old one and later replaced with the bridge that was there now!

If any of you find that bridge? Please get a picture for me! Everyone I know thinks I am nuts because I know what I saw but I also know what was there the next morning!

Don

I did ask around about the bridge. No one knew a thing and no one wanted to talk to me or shunned me.
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Blog Entries

Don that's creepy.

A open area of land, Not owned by anyone with a No Tresspassing sign in it, In the middle of it !, Your a bit late now buddy
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Speaking of things that are strange:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

lol rick thats a hilarious sign , and u guys got me a was bs'ing lol , id herd a friend tell that story and i stole it ^_^

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

Seen a lot of strange stuff up here in the mountains at night alone, sometimes the night is just creepy in the wilds. We got a gorge up here I call "Witch Woman's Moan" cause when the wind whistles through it sounds like an eerir moan, its said long ago a Native American Witch Woman died up there and that's her moaning.
    Living in the Northern part of the Lewis and Clark National Forest as a Ranger with US Forestry Service... What more could a guy want