Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you expect the need to survive?

Default Where do you expect the need to survive?

So I was wondering where you guys and gals expect the need for your survival skills/preps. I myself hunt less than 15 miles fro a big city. I plan on me having a problem while I hunt. I do not go DEEEEEEP into the bush like other members here may do. I leave a hunt plan with my buddy with the "hey I'll call you when I'm done if not by this time call for help, this is where I will be hunting" So I figure I would have to survive for a few hours tops (small rec area) no long excursions into the wild to worry about.

I also am interested in preparedness. I went on a deployment to texas for hurricane gustav and ike. I saw first hand the lack of planning and the chaos that followed (and to think they got a warning!!!) I plan for several scenarios from a power outage to SHTF.

So what do you plan for and why?
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

My primary plans are for natural or man made disasters. For me, man made are things like some type of shipping accident (chemical tanker truck wreck) or chemical industrial accident. Things along those lines. I could face an extended power outage because of a tornado or winter blizzard. Pretty typical day to day stuff.

Hiking or hunting where survival could involve several hours. Like you, my trips are planned with detailed instructions of location and times left with my wife or some other trusted family member if the wife is along.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My plans are mostly focused on man made or natural disasters. Weather related issues are the most likely threat. Living close to rail lines, shipping traffic, three military bases, and NFL venue and other people are also part of my preparation planning. As far as wilderness survival - that's where I go to relax. I go prepared with the equipment, knowledge and skills that I need to enjoy myself and not turn it into a survival situation, but like anything else - ya gotta be prepared because you just never know when something not in your plans will happen.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I fly fish in some relatively remote places. While you can drive in pretty easily, I end up walking several miles away from where I park. If I end up with an injury that impedes my mobility, then I could be in for a wait before my wife decides to call for help. (If she's mad at me, then it may be even longer!)

I'm also a backpacker who loves the deep secluded green places here in the Ozarks. I often fly fish alone, but I almost never backpack without someone else. On those trips, I end up several miles into terrain that even ATVs or horses would have a difficult time reaching (if they could get there at all).

I always leave a travel plan with "if you don't hear from me by X time, call in the posse" plans. My wife knows I will never deviate from the plan without calling her first with the new plan. But, to answer your question, my interest in survival is very region-specific and is tied to getting lost or injured while out doing what I love. One specific thing that I have planned the most for is breaking or injuring one of my legs or ankles and being unable to walk back out.

My main plan is based on natural disaster, ( mainly tornado and flood in my area). However I do also think about and prep for A man made SHTF disaster. were ever i go if its for the day or a weekend camping trip or a hunt I have enough gear that at a minimum, I can survive for 3 days with relative comfort.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45 View Post
    So I was wondering where you guys and gals expect the need for your survival skills/preps.

So what do you plan for and why?

NOTE: I never leave a travel plan, no one knows where I am, sometimes not even me, no one would look for me for weeks or months.

Getting Mauled by one of my Fuzzy neighbors or falling and incurring a broken bone or some type injury when hiking every day alone in Alaska Wilderness # 1

Sickness or ill health would be # 2

Catastrophic destruction of the FOOD distribution system or food harvesting/growing system # 3

Motor vehicle Crash while driving either Car/Truck/Air Craft/Boat in rural Alaska # 4

Near total World Wide Economic DEPRESSION or Hyper-INFLATION and/or BOTH at the same time #5

Being nibbled to death by a Gaggle of Giggling Geese # 6

Getting shot by a jealous Husband or Boyfriend has slipped to # well it's just not likely.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 06-08-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Natural disaster (primarily hurricanes, even that is remote here), man made, five military bases near by, two major metropolitan areas. Most likely the safest is hunker down in place and wait for the dust to settle. Maintain food and fuel for 7 days
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I don't leave plans. Most scenarios would involve me traveling from FL to KY. Once there I am set. Left a message once with my neice. Left the Greyhound bus early and caught a ride to the neighboring county with some folks I know. Told her I would see her in the morning. When I wasn't at the door at 7am, the Sherriff got a call from her reporting me as a missing person. So, I don't leave plans. Kids are grown. Divorced. If I screw up and can't recover then I'll feed the scavengers and worms. Circle of life...
    You are your dog's best friend....

Blog Entries

Do I hear the sound of Elton John playing somewhere in the background?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

There are places that I hike which could lead me more than 20 miles from the Trailhead, nearest Highway and or residence. There are also a couple of places even here in S.W. Missouri and North Central Arkansas that I fish, where I have gone more than 8 hours out on the water and not seen another person or boat.
    I see the possibility of becoming stranded remotely enough to expect an overnight stay or longer...especially if injury would become a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Do I hear the sound of Elton John playing somewhere in the background?
    You might. Do you often hear strange voices that seem to be inside your head instructing you on who the unbelievers are? Or just a strange continuous humming sound?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    You might. Do you often hear strange voices that seem to be inside your head, Or just a strange continuous humming sound?

The mosquito's flying in one ear and out the other, which causes the humming sound.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    You might. Do you often hear strange voices that seem to be inside your head instructing you on who the unbelievers are? Or just a strange continuous humming sound?
    Only on those days of the week whose names end wiith a "y."
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

But.....aren't.....Oh, I get it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I live in the middle of a city. It's very quiet; very mundane; and very predictable. For the last 26 years of my life, I've been drawn in and shaped to fit that mould. Recently, I've taken up preparedness. With the world changing everyday and more and more people proving that they are absolutely crazy, I decided to slip back to primitive skills.

I don't see myself getting into a survival situation, but (and that's a big but, and I cannot lie -ha!) you never know what could happen in any moment. Preparedness is key. And it makes me more comfortable not being victim of the situation.

Yakov - Why don't you slip over to our Introductions section and tell us a little more.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

Surviving in the city is not a lot different than survival in the wild, though some may disagree. Awareness of your surroundings is key and avoidance is your best defense in both environments.

Default Not what I was expecting either

Quote Originally Posted by Yakov View Post
    I live in the middle of a city. It's very quiet; very mundane; and very predictable. For the last 26 years of my life, I've been drawn in and shaped to fit that mould. Recently, I've taken up preparedness. With the world changing everyday and more and more people proving that they are absolutely crazy, I decided to slip back to primitive skills.

I don't see myself getting into a survival situation, but (and that's a big but, and I cannot lie -ha!) you never know what could happen in any moment. Preparedness is key. And it makes me more comfortable not being victim of the situation.
    Yakov,
    Check out this link
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=6614

I was living in a quiet neighborhood on the edge of a town of 200,000 people...Lying in my recliner listening to a nice peaceful rain falling outside.
    There was no warning either on television or via Tornado sirens sounding.

No one ever expects to be placed in a survival situation at home....but it does happen.

Nice to meet you and welcome to the site...
    There are lots of knowledgable people here and a wealth of information.

Work...I work in remote places- wilderness areas, river canyons and in yellowstone park. and the drives from one town to another here can be fairly remote sometimes- especially in Eastern Montana. Basically, in Montana the rule is self-reliance, unless you live in an urban area, expecting someone to come to your aid for anything is foolish.
    so, you either have to be always prepared, or willing to suffer/endure a little.
    help, just ain't a cell phone call away around here...
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I prepare for Earthquakes (I live in Los Angeles), and also for man made disaster.

I offroad alot, fish the local streams and volunteer with the local rangers so I spend alot of time away from the city. At any time doing any of those activities we can have a 7.0 quake hit and I want to be as ready as possible.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

retired American

I try to avoid survival situations but do spend quite a bit of time in jungle and mountains so it is good to be prepared. There are many diseases here as well as poisonous snakes and insects. I work on mountain rescue team also, and I have farm in area with frequent floods and forest fires. Also I live on big earthquake fault line.