Thread: Home made fish baits or

Default Home made fish baits or

What do you generally use for pan fish and catfish?
    kitty

panfish use straight earthworm
    catfish use the earthworm but spit a little copenhagen on him first
    You are your dog's best friend....

Where do you find a little Copenhagen? I know, I know....in Denmark.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I fly fish. However, you can use canned corn or bread balls in addition to earthworms.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

ol'roy dog food attracts catfish like mad. I make dog food and cornmeal balls gets a great response
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Night crawlers or bologna. Works for me.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Cut Blue back Herring is my choice for catfish and I use Nightcrawlers for panfish. I break off smalls peices of the crawlers.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Thanks, everyone, just wondering what folks from around the country uses. Welder I also make a lot of my own dough baits, have much better luck with them than any store bought stuff, only I use flour instead of corn meal. I will try that with ol roy.
    I also catch every kind of bug/hopper/crawdad (if they dont pinch me first, then I throw them down, holler and scream for a while and go back to looking for grasshoppers)
    I dont know the names of these bugs but they come in the late spring and fall to outside lights at night. Not here during the really hot summer months. I saw some on tv and they called them June Bugs. (Our June Bugs are big green grasshopper looking critters and they will bite.)
    Anyway, the pan fish here like them as much as they like crickets. I catch all I can and put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer, in fact I freeze very bug I get and use it for bait also.
    Before I had to move in with my daughter I fished every single day. Now that I will be moving out this coming week I will fish every chance I get, depends on the weather. Our forecast for the next 2 weeks is rain/t.storms daily.
    Ok, I appreciate your answers, welder if you decide you want some of my dough recipes let me know. They dont stink but they sure work and for pan fish as well as cats.
    kitty

Blog Entries

I've also used sandworms for freshwater bass, pickerel, and salmon. They do the job just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

catfish-dough balls, anise flavored. chicken guts, wad of worms and fish on the bottom. Anything you can stand to put on a hook works.
    pan fish- use a portion of worm, cheese, bologna any part of your lunch, smaller hook and no sinker. Get into a school of bluegill and anything works, matter of fact if they are feeding fish will hit most anything.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    catfish-dough balls, anise flavored. chicken guts, wad of worms and fish on the bottom. Anything you can stand to put on a hook works.
    pan fish- use a portion of worm, cheese, bologna any part of your lunch, smaller hook and no sinker. Get into a school of bluegill and anything works, matter of fact if they are feeding fish will hit most anything.
    Thanks. Does anybody do much bank fishing in here? I am addicted to fishing and can eat them every day. I intend in the very near future to start fishing again several times a week. In the meanwhile I have watched others fish at the lake the closest to me and they arent doing to good, dunno if the lake is about fished out or if the dratted turtles have eaten most of them. The WildLife Management wont do anything about it and its against the law to kill a soft shell. The striped ones are the pain!! We have 4 lakes here, all turtle infested to the point fishing isnt that pleasant anymore.
    kitty
    Last edited by springkitty; 06-09-2009 at 01:04 PM.

"The toes you step on today may be attached
    to the arse you have to kiss tomorrow"

All I used to do was bank fishing on a river. I fished for bass (large and small mouth) and bluegills and sunfish. Bass like buzz baits (loud spinners) and bluegill ate anything soft and meaty. Never caught a single fish in my life on a grasshopper or cricket, but that could be because I fished where all the big fish were taken already.

You have to go at sunrise, otherwise the fish have been grazing all day long and are not real hungry.

Blog Entries

Cool Well,since you asked....

I have a brother who used to catch catfish with dead Night Crawlers left in the sun. Stink baits work pretty good I hear. Pan Fish are the best, IMO. Talk to the other fishermen in your area about the "bank-fishing" problem, they might have some info.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I've also used sandworms for freshwater bass, pickerel, and salmon. They do the job just fine.

Question

Isn't that a blood worm?

or are you just happy to see me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
    Question

Isn't that a blood worm?
    I've heard some people call them "blood worms." Up my way, most folks (and every bait shop I've been to) call them sandworms.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Hot dogs soaked overnight in red Kool-Aide will catch just about anything. For cats it's the salt in the hot dogs.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin