Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes threats?

Default Coyotes threats?

So here on PEI the biggest predator besides Humans is the Coyote. Coyotes are not native to PEI they came across on iceflows and furthermore they are part wolf and as a result they are huge. The Coyotes on PEI have pushed out the foxes which now live near residential areas and sometimes in peoples yards for lack of any woods. Recently a Coyote killing a full grown pig made news.

Now I know Coyotes are considered low risk however I believe our situation may be a tad bit different than the average. What I am wondering is that if these coyotes would be a threat to someone walking in the woods during nightfal and what that person could do to protect themself (guns are out of the question).

Any assistance or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Not just coyotes for sure, I’d say more wolf as far as the hybridizing goes. I’m around one of their dens often and they seem to be timid. They sure play hell on one of the local sheep farmers though. My biggest concern is the amount of them die with mange. The Lands and Forrest guys won’t give me an answer when I ask them if they have introduced it ……….. the knobs do dumb stuff like that in the name of control. Mange was never a big problem until people wanted the coyotes gone.

You raise a good question. A pack of dogs of any size can be a threat. Especially if the leader decides you're interesting enough. A pack with experience hunting other species is doubly dangerous. I think a couple of things I'd try in your position would be a loud noise maker like an air horn. That should keep them startled and keep them away. Here's a link of what I'm talking about:

http://www.safetycentral.com/sasoairho45o.html

The other thing might be some type of spray if it is legal. We used a pepper spray on dogs at work. Most of the time it worked pretty well. I'm not certain how well it would work on a pack, though. Perhaps bear spray.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree with Rick, noise and spray. I would also add a walking stick possibly with a spear head attached. You want a large spear head as you should use it more like a quanDo than a spear. A large blade such as a machette or paranga should be carried.
    I know what hunts you.

Here in the midwest I see coyotes from time to time. I have never seen them run in packs around here, but I have run across a solitary soul several times on various hikes. We generally greet each other and go in separate directions.

I have never felt particularly threatened by coyote.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A pack of dogs of any size can be a threat. Especially if the leader decides you're interesting enough. A pack with experience hunting other species is doubly dangerous.
    Kinda' reminds you of the Forum, don't it?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

We only have mini-coyotes around here. I've never seen one I've thought was over 30-35 lbs. Only one or two dogs in town have disappeared in the past few years, and coyotes still aren't much of a problem with livestock. But they're here, alright. Every month or two one gets creamed by a car, and you see them on the edge of the woods or in open fields. Never in a pack, though. We have a lot more foxes than coyotes. And TONS of deer. More this spring than ever before.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I will be sure to bring a noise-maker and spray is illegal. As for the spear or blade I have a battle ready Katana that I believe would suffice. Thank you all for the assistance this is a topic I think needs to be adressed more as I do not believe a lot of people know enough about Coyotes.

1st Dan: Dan # 05304921

Our Cyotes have never really bothered farms and it is rare that they do. They are often removed if they do. That incident involved the pig being stuck in the snow though and was unable to protect itself, I do not see the cyotes as being big enough to have enough confidence to become a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlon View Post
    Our Cyotes have never really bothered farms and it is rare that they do. They are often removed if they do. That incident involved the pig being stuck in the snow though and was unable to protect itself, I do not see the cyotes as being big enough to have enough confidence to become a threat.
    Out by where I live we are surrounded by cow fields and they are killed very often. You must just live by tough farmers

A walking stick 1.5 inches in diameter, made of hardwood, would be good. Knock them on the nose, their nose is real sensitive and they hate that.

A soccer horn would also be good as their hearing is very sensitive.

My 2 cents.

We have coyotes on the golf course across the street from my house. They are small and scared of people. I have only seen about 3 or 4. My big worry about canines is when I go to work. Several times I have been loading my cot into the truck and looked behind me and see six dogs staring me down. EEEKs
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

I think folks are missing the part of the post that says they are part wolf and huge. I think that's an entirely different breed than we see here in the states. The fact that they are in packs indicates they are not like our coyotes at all, which are loners for the most part.

Another thought I had was a bright light. That might be especially useful at dusk or nighttime. Coupled with a loud noise maker it might keep them afraid of humans enough they will leave you alone. If nothing else, the light will blind and/or disorient them enough to unsheath the katana.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm not sure why guns are out of the question. I doubt that in general they will approach humans, but I'm not suggesting you risk your life on it. As far as the size or weight of the animal, a 35 pound wild animal is going to be in better shape than a 200 pound human, so whatever size they are, you don't want to do anything close quarters with them if you can avoid it at all. I'd go with the big noise. The good news is, if someone pops one or two of them, the rest will avoid humans for a long, long time.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Who are you kiddin'? I've got an 8 pound Yorkiepoo in better shape than me.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

We have a few, no packs and they attempt to get pets that I know about. I have seen only 2 but they were brave souls. My friend killed 6 last year on his farm. No breeding with the domestic dog packs running wild. The dogs meet the same fate as the coyotes.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

About the only time I have seen Coyotes become a problem for farmers here is in the early spring during Calving season. When the calves start hitting the ground Coyotes will come in for a meal and do become quite bold.
    I have shot more than one which was feeding on a new born calf, or cleaning up the discarded placenta.

I have a friend who use to work for animal control in a suburb community near Springfield Mo...he use to find coyote hunting areas by watching telephone poles on the corners of streets around his small town.
    When the ("Have you seen my cat or dog") signs started being posted regularly in a given area, there would invaribly be a Coyote hunting domesticated animals around.

Helping him out one day I personally shot a wet female within 50 yards of the local city hall building in the town he worked for.
    When Coyotes get hungry they become desperate and braver...they will do whatever it takes to survive. Don't ever make the mistake of under-estimating what they are capable of doing.

As for feral dogs...we have discussed this issue on this forum in the recent past but here is a rather interesting article from National Geographic I found. I thought it was a good read.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...straydogs.html
    Last edited by rat31465; 06-08-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added National Geographic link.

It's a scary proposition. Folks dump dogs because they can no longer care for them or don't want them. They do the same with other animals as well. I've seen reports of panthers and other big cats running loose and I don't discount the possibility that someone just let it go because they could not take care of it or had tired of the upkeep. They are so cute when they are babies.

Blog Entries

I don't care what size they are. They need training. They need to learn that they shouldn't be howling at each other from the north and west of my bedroom window at 3:00 in the morning. Like they did this morning.

*C'mere, pooch. Ken has something for you...........*
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark