Thread: Anyone know about Witch-Hazel??

Default Anyone know about Witch-Hazel??

I know that witch-hazel is a very helpful plant....I just don't know why ...What is it good for?...How do you use it?....and what parts of the plant do you actually use?

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

The bark, leaves, and twigs of witch hazel are all high in tannins, giving this plant astringent properties. Astringents are substances that can dry, tighten, and harden tissues. You may use an astringent on your skin to tighten pores and remove excess oil.

A styptic pencil is a type of astringent, too, for astringents also stop discharges. The astringent tannins in witch hazel temporarily tighten and soothe aching varicose veins or reduce inflammation in cases of phlebitis (an inflammation of a vein). Witch hazel also contains procyanadins, resin, and flavonoids, all of which add to its soothing, anti-inflammatory properties. A cloth soaked in strong witch hazel tea reduces swelling and can relieve the pain of hemorrhoids and bruises.

Almost all pharmacies carry some type of witch hazel preparation in the form of lotions, hemorrhoidal pads, and suppositories. Besides their use topically for hemorrhoids and veins, witch hazel lotions are useful on rough, swollen, gardener's or carpenter's hands. You can also use witch hazel internally to treat varicose veins, hemorrhoids, or a prolapsed uterus, although not the witch hazel/isopropyl alcohol preparation frequently found in drug stores.

Its ability to shrink swollen tissue makes witch hazel appropriate to treat laryngitis as well

Plagarized from howstuffworks.com
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Well that was a darn fine plagarization Fog, thank you very much. I'm on the opposite end of our friend who asked the question. I've always been told all these good things that witch hazel is good for, but it's one plant I wouldn't recognize in the wild if it jumped up and slapped me on the butt.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

The parts used are the bark and leaves. The leaves can be harvested throughout the summer and dried. The bark is gathered in the spring after sprouting. Witch hazel water is especially good when dabbed on chigger, tick and mosquito bites, as well as poison ivy rash.