Thread: Preventing kidney stones

Default Preventing kidney stones

In "Things I Don't want to do again", kidney stones were mentioned. My doc said to drink real lemon juice (lemonade) every day. I haven't had a stone since I started doing that. And it's cheap. Oranges don't work, not grapefruit. It's something in lemons.

Do you have any other preventatives?

Blog Entries

Yep. Magnesium. Here's why:

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/10/76.cfm

Here's a natural source and the product I use:

http://www.vitacost.com/Peter-Gillha...F-183405000070

Used to get 'em every 7-8 months. *fingers crossed* It's been 3 1/2 years and counting........
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

My urologist said the culprit is iced tea. Ice tea contains oxalates that form crystals in the kidneys. He said Britain has a lower incidence of kidney stones because they sip HOT tea. In the U.S., we replace water by drinking large amounts of ice tea when we are dehydrated. He also said REAL lemonade contains citrate that inhibits the formation of stones.

I've drastically reduced my iced tea intake and haven't had a stone since. Knock on wood. By the way, spinach, chocolate, rhubarb and nuts all contain oxalates as well. But I'll just have to suffer the fates because my body is too dependent on chocolate to stop now.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Drink lots of water!

Now for the good news. If you do get a kidney stone, my cousin the doctor recommends drinking an entire 6-pack of beer in one sitting. The beer acts as both a diuretic to flush the stone out and an analgesic to help lessen the pain. It is not, however, recommended that you get a kidney stone just to have an excuse with the wife for you to employ this remedy.

I've had kidney stones and they are no fun. But whatever man thought to compare them to labor or childbirth was a fool. It still doesn't compare.
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Ammonium Chloride,I know a man who eats goat minerals because it contains ammonium chloride,he started doing that after having kidney stones and the doc perscribed ammonium chloride and the Rx was going to cost him several hundred $$$,so he went to his barn,grabbed a handful of the loose minerals he feeds his goats,and ate it,eats a handful a day,and said it has been 3 years since he had a stone.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    The beer acts as both a diuretic to flush the stone out
    Uh, I don't think so. Not this buckaroo. I'm not voluntarily passing anything the size of a school bus. Besides, that would be like a 44 magnum going off. (I slay myself...I really do!)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mama View Post
    Drink lots of water!

Now for the good news. If you do get a kidney stone, my cousin the doctor recommends drinking an entire 6-pack of beer in one sitting. The beer acts as both a diuretic to flush the stone out and an analgesic to help lessen the pain. It is not, however, recommended that you get a kidney stone just to have an excuse with the wife for you to employ this remedy.

I've had kidney stones and they are no fun. But whatever man thought to compare them to labor or childbirth was a fool. It still doesn't compare.
    My DIL had them 2 months ago at 7 months pregnant,they had treated her with antibiotics for over a month for UTI's with no relief,then she woke up one morning doubled over in pain,the local ER sent her to Nortons hospital in Louisville,the did a CT scan,and found the stones,and her right kidney swollen much larger than it should have been,they were going to take the baby,and remove the stones,and kidney,but thankfully,she passed 2 rather large stones before they got her prepped for surgery,she has had several smaller stones pass since then,none causing her the amount of pain as those first 2 did.
    Last edited by Rick; 06-04-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

retired American

I had kidney stone last year and it was awful. However I did drink a lot of tea but it was hot tea. I read on internet that tea cuaed kidney stones from oxalates as you say but it just said tea. I would like to know as I do like to drink tea and I have basically given it up to avoid this problem.

I'm no doctor but I'd say increase your water intake, which I've done and try lemons. My urologist was more concerned with folks drinking cold tea than hot because you drink more of it, more quickly. You have to sip the hot tea. Iced tea we drink like water.

retired American

That is true I guess about drinking iced tea faster. When I gave up hot tea because of the kidney stones I started drinking peppermint tea which also has no caffeine. As for drinking water I drink galons of it because it is very hot here and also because I take water pills for blood pressure. I have a lime tree also. Maybe limes will do same thing as lemons, but I don't know. I also drink cocoa every day so maybe this is bad for kidney stones but good for blood pressure.

The truth is something is going to kill you sometime. No one makes it out alive.

Blog Entries

Just gonna' say it again. Magnesium. Read about the study I posted above. It works. No question, it works.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Dang it! I had a question.

Better start a fire.....you're getting confused.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I managed to encounter the familiar pain of Kidney stones around Akron Ohio, on my way from WV to Chicago. Not fun, you could say panic. I called my chiropractor and he recommended strong lemonade no sugar.

I picked up a case of water and a bag of lemons. I squeezed two lemons to a 9oz bottle of water and drank three bottles between rest stops.

In two and a half hours the pain went from a 6 on my kidney stone pain scale to a 0. I must have passed it.

I drank clear water after the lemonade to rinse and neutralize the acidity a bit from around my teeth.

By the way I'm a big iced tea drinker.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Default Tamarind

A professor of biochemical engineering from India swears by tamarind for preventing kidney stones. I can't remember whether or not he said it would break 'em up, though. Tamarind is found in Worcestershire sauce, and can be bought in dried form to eat like a sweet snack.

Addendum: that lemon juice tip is great. I drink some every morning.
    Last edited by M-J de M.; 06-07-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: addendum

My daughter has had them twice. The urologist told her to drink water for thirst and soda ect only at meals. To keep her urine a very pale yellow and yes to take a magnesium and calcium supplement. Never heard of the lemonade trick.

You know the old adage, if urine is clear, have no fear. If urine is yellow you're a hurting fellow.

I had 1 stone about 10 years ago, DR told me to drink pure juices, mainly cranberry, lemon, and orange juices. But didn't know why that works till now. Thanks I learn something new here all the time.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"