Thread: Pine sap...

Default Pine sap...

What can be done with sap from pine trees. When I was up in canoe-camping in Canada over the summer, I came upon many pine trees with bulges of sap coming out of them. I'm curious what I could have done with it/used it for.

Default Lots and lots of uses

Pine or spruce gum are both good for cleaning your teeth, just chew it like regular gum(has kind of a fresh piney taste lol, pretty pungent) It's also good for a toothache if you just kind of keep a ball of it against the sore tootch. Pine gum is good for patching tent and canoe leaks, sealing a lodge if you build one out of bark, just warm it up ---it'll get more fluid---and spread it and let it harden. If your boots leak, same thing.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

You could use it as glue and pitch for water proofing and I believe it is anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial. It also burns so you could probably find a use for that.
    Last edited by owl_girl; 10-01-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Blog Entries

I believe if you cook it, you will get that black pitch Owl girl speaks of. I don't like it all that much, prefer epoxy to pitch.

Always seems to get everything sticky and it does not come off.

Here’s a site that talks about torches and he mentions ways of using pine pitch as fuel.
    http://www.primitive.org/lighting.htm

I’ve only experimented with it as glue, I haven’t personally used it as anything ells.

I burned out a piece of tree branch to use as a cup and sealed it w/ pine pitch. Just cant use it for anything hot.

i have them here we use them for short hand glue thing you have to do is gather it and stir it with sugar makes a glue also if you make pine needle tea you can use the sap to bring them along with you and use it as a stirer

Blog Entries

Cool I hear-tell...

...oh crap, listen to me, I'm starting to post sounding like FVR! Pine sap can also be used as a hot-burning fuel. Poke some holes into the sides of a regular tin can, and sap and use it as an emergency stove. I haven't tried it yet, myself though.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Goth, not trying to be negative here, but I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you heat up sugar, it'll pretty much turn into a "glue" by itself, though not a very good one. If you heat up pine sap, you're going to get that black mess that was described earlier. The adivice I offered for using it on your teeth, btw, you just scrape it off the tree and use raw. It'll work.

I sure wouldn't put the sap in any tea, you'll wind up drinking pine syrup
    If any of you has ever seen a real old fashioned birch bark canoe and notice the blackened seams, that's pine tar. Indians used it because it made a better sealant than the sap of the birch. Birch sap makes a passable syrup by the way, not as sweet as maple but not bad.

By the way, another use that I forgot yesterday. If you boil pine sap with any kind of fat and mix in ashes from a pine fire, you've got a really good bar of soap. Want the exact quantities? Experiment, that's what I did, lol.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"