Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug Repellent

Post Bug Repellent

Not sure if you all know about this or not but i recently learned that Absorbine Jr.(the stuff for sore muscles) is the best insect repellent i have ever used. The gnats and later mosquitos were absolutely horrible and a buddy had some of this, after trying 3 different actual bug repellents that had no affect i tried some of it. i did not have any bug issues the rest of the night.

It's supposed to be good on the bites, too. I've heard about using it as a preventative and/or a treatment for a long time but never tried it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I am going to try this. Whenever me and my female companion go into the woods she always complains about the masquitoes, she hates the blood suckers so this may be a good idea as regular bug spray only occasionally works.

Also as odd as this sounds a really great and natural bug repellant is BO (body odor) I know it may sound disgusting but it does work. Apparently bugs are attracted to scents like perfumes and BO is the opposite of what they like so they tend to stay away. I have had many an occasion where I have gone into te woods with a group of people and I did not wear deoderant and they all wore it and some wore perfumes. I did not stink mind you but they simply smelled more pleasant thus all the bugs went to them =)
    Last edited by Yuma Kutsuu; 06-05-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Bug Repellent:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I still carry DEET. It doesn't smell and it works.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I still carry DEET. It doesn't smell and it works.
    Which therefore means that Crashdive DOES smell and DOESN'T WORK, huh? Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I don't know about the smell part. I haven't sniffed him lately.

Blog Entries

When was the last time?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Just the usual early morning greeting.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Ken; 06-05-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Absorbine Jr. is a new one on me and I’ll try it. My wife won’t let me use DEET, she says it’s a nerve agent but I smuggle it into my knapsack anyway. I don’t have the heart to tell her that the all natural one with every essential oil known to man doesn’t work.
    I just try and take it from the little buggers most of the time until I gain some sense of immunity. Chainsaw bar oil and wood smoke work when it gets real bad. Running a saw a little rich so it smokes a bit is sweet.
    Compact bug tents treated with permethrin are nice when you need to bailout for awhile, black mesh is best, you can see through it. The only thing I don’t like about mesh is the way it cuts down air flow. If all else fails I just run for it! Deer Flies suck big time!!!
    The BO thing is out of the question …….. but my dogs wouldn’t mind.

The best thing here in SC where we are attacked all days by musquitoes is a thermal cell. I once climbed into a deer stand with thousands of musquitoes inside the shooting house made of canvas. I cut on my thermocell and bam they headed out in seconds and I was unscathed. A note to the hunters here, I also had a shot inside of 30 yds. at a 6 point in full velvet the very same sit.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

DEET will melt your tent and poison you.

Absorbine Jr with the minty smell is like icing to a Bear.

Using clothing and nets to protect you from the bugs. Long-sleeved tightly woven fabrics are comfortable and offer real long-term protection against mosquitoes and black flies.

Anything scented is an attractant. If you are going out for a long term bush trip, don't shower with soap the day before you go. You may stink to others but the bugs wa't bother you as much either.

I also avoid eating bananas in the summer. Something in them attracts the bugs.

BUT.... what works for one does not always work for others. I live in black fly country but bet I have only been bitten half a dozen times ever. They are bothersome but don't bite.

Mosquitos bite me but I don't get the itchies like I did when I was younger. Maybe it is immunity maybe it is the fact I haven't used bug dope in 6 or 7 years now. Who knows?

Uh, sorry. Mosquitoes are attracted to the CO2 in your breath. They follow it just like a path right back to you.

DEET, when used in accordance with directions, is safe to use and is THE BEST repellent for mosquitoes, flies and ticks.

Considering the alternatives of West Nile, Malaria, Rocky Mountain Fever or Rickestsiosis, I'll stick with the DEET.

Blog Entries

Uh, sorry. Mosquitoes are attracted to the CO2 in your breath. They follow it just like a path right back to you.
    Rick, I can't imagine ANYTHING being attracted to YOUR breath.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

No black flies here, but mosquitoes aplenty.
    Biting insects seem to like some people more than others in my experience. Yesterday, for instance, I was sitting outside with my wife and a regular experience played out: I found one trying to bite me and killed it, she recieved 10 bites. I got zero. Only had one tick ever attach here, too.
    On the other hand I recently made a weekend camping trip to Tennessee, got several ticks and a dozen skeeter bites. And one wasp sting.

I had read about a home made insect repellent and had to look it up. It was known as "Nessmuk Juice"

3 oz. (90 ml) pine tar
    2 oz. (60 ml) castor oil
    1 oz. (30 ml) pennyroyal oil

Slowly simmer over a low fire until it becomes a pasty substance and smear it on your body. Have your friends do the same or you will have no friends.

I didn't add that last part. It was actually part of the recipe so the stuff must smell pretty bad. Some of you that participate in Rendezvous may know about this one.
    Last edited by Rick; 06-13-2009 at 07:25 AM.

i just ignore the bugs, so what if ya get bit it only itches for a while suck it up princess
    and i don not beleive in the bannana theory i eat allot of them and don't get bothered any more or less cuz of it, i think after a while ya just get thicker skin
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com