Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home defense in remote area without firearms

retired American

Default home defense in remote area without firearms

I have been considering this problem and thought people on forum may have idea about this. problem is I have 2 homes in Thailand. One in Chiang mai and one on farm in remote area of central plains. My problem is that as a foreigner I cannot possess firearms here of any kind, and also being a foreigner people assume I have a lot of money,which I do not by US standards but by Thai standard I am very well off. This makes me and family a target for thieves and robbers. Also their is very little help from the police here even in the city and in the jungle forget about it. Some people have said get a dog but I travel a lot and noone to take care of dog plus house in Chiang Mai is too small for big dog.
    I could actually get a gun in wife's name but she is afraid of guns and if I used it even in self defense I would have big problems. I have studied martial arts my whole adult lifer and was a defensive tactics instructor and can protect myself and family okay in that kind of situation but against armed intruders, which they probably would be, I would have big problems. This is not simply a speculation because, although Thailand is mostly a peaceful country, there have been many instances of foreigners being killed in break-ins and such. My daughter thinks I should just give up the farm but I love farming and also it is financially important to my family for support if and when I die. The main problem I worry about is there is a woman and small child involved. Sorry for the long posting I am not good at putting things in writing.

I guess, with the laws being as you describe and the stereotype that follows you - don't make yourself a target. Don't flaunt the fact that you are well off (by local standards). Do not talk about $$$$ or nice material posessions (word travels). Try and make outward appearances seem as though you are living below the local standards.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What type(s) of weapons would YOU be up against? If someone broke in, what would they be armed with?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Moving, maybe, would be safest.

I think lots of areas of the world are beautiful, I would never live there though. Not safe.

Take note in your mind what can be turned into a weapon in your home. the simplest things can be turned into a weapon such as a pencil or pen for an example.
    I keep losing them so I have them althroughout my home LOL.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Quote Originally Posted by chiangmaimav View Post
    Some people have said get a dog but I travel a lot and noone to take care of dog plus house in Chiang Mai is too small for big dog.
    First thing I would do, is sell the house in Chiang Mai and just concentrate on the farm, if that's what you really want to keep. Dogs can be a really great deterent.

If you travel alot, then you want your wife to be able to defend herself while you are gone. One way to do that, is design your farm a bit like a fortress. Have secure areas inside the house that your family can fall back to, sealing themselves off from other areas invaders might enter.

I could actually get a gun in wife's name but she is afraid of guns and if I used it even in self defense I would have big problems.
    I would go ahead and get a firearm in your wife's name anyway. She might eventually get over her fear, or if you absolutely have to use it yourself, it's still better than ending up with members of your family hurt or killed. Get a firearm she could use fairly easily. For inexperienced ladies, I like to recommend a .410 pump-action shotgun. Pretty good stopping power, pretty easy to aim, not too heavy or unwieldy for the ladies.

Another idea you might consider, is simply hiring one or more native Thais to provide security for your property, and have them armed.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

If security is a problem now, what will you do when your old and vulnerable? Maybe, you should pick a new spot to live.

I lived in Thailand from 72 to 73. Although I was US military, I could not as you say bear any type of firearm where I lived of base. My wife who is a Thai citizen was as yours, totaly adverse to firearms. What I ended up doing for the homestead and the wife was to hire a retired Thai soldierand purchased a shotgun for him. And he took the role of home defender. At the time the "rules of engagement" for him were much more relaxed . I think at the time I paid him the equvilant of $20 a month. Perhaps through the extended family there you can find a trustworthy retired military or policeman for a similar role. And of course, the the extent possible befriend a policeman in Chaing Mai. And I was always careful to not run afoul of their laws, as you know the system of justice is nothing like ours.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Could you legally keep a Bow for protection? A decent quality recurve or even a crossbow? Afterall, they were used as defesive weapons for hundreds if not thousands of years before firearms. I would even consider keeping a sword handy as well in the situation you have mentioned.

Booby traps all over the place
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

retired American

This is all good advice and I thank you for taking the time. I will definitely follow this advice. I do actually do what Crashdive says and try to not appear wealthy. This is not hard for me to do,by the way. I drive a Mitsubishi and a Honda and my girlfriend does not wear expensive jewelry. As for what weapons bad guys might have, they would very likely have guns, as guns are plentiful here despite the restrictive laws. Thailand is number 8 in world in gun deaths last year. I do have a crossbow, actually. I also really like the idea of hiring someone for security. I work as police volunteer and also on mountain rescue team and I am sure I could find policemen to work security, especially considering how poorly they are paid here. Boobytraps are good but problem is there are always kids running in and out of house. Perhaps I could get a dog and hire someone to take care of it when I am gone. I agree that maybe it would be a good idea to leave Chiang Mai and live on farm full time, but I really love Chiang Mai also and would hate to leave as I have many friends here and also am involved in a lot of projects here I would hate to give up. Also, Chiang Mai is where I like to be in the cool season, as it does get cold here believe it or not, which I like. At least it is cold by Thai standards. I prefer farm in burning season, which is March and April, as this is when farmers here burn off the fields and the air pollution in North Thailand is among the worst in the world.

I was afraid it might be guns. That's why I asked. You'd be hard pressed to go up against a firearm with anything less. There is little worse than bringing a knife to a gun fight.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think if I were pressed into this scenario...I would have to take the advice thats goes something like this... I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

I'd rather not be judged or carried by any. Hire the help.

Having traveled to several foreign countries (not Thailand) I can assure you that in many of them there is no concept of the being tried by twelve theory that we enjoy in some parts of the world. I'm with Rick - avoid both.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

"I also really like the idea of hiring someone for security. I work as police volunteer and also on mountain rescue team and I am sure I could find policemen to work security, especially considering how poorly they are paid here"

That is the way to go, and you do have the advantage of being a Police volunteer, so you can almost "pre screen" any candidates. And they will best know whether you need a "soft" or "hard" security presence.
    Last edited by Pal334; 06-03-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: add last sentence
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

hang Quarantined signs all over your property and on front door. A sign saying occupants infected with Flesh Eating Virus and Swine Flu could act as a deterrent
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    hang Quarantined signs all over your property and on front door. A sign saying occupants infected with Flesh Eating Virus and Swine Flu could act as a deterrent
    Some parts of the world that might get an entire village burned.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I could actually get a gun in wife's name but she is afraid of guns
    Wait a second...

my girlfriend does not wear expensive jewelry.
    What's the deal, Mr. Mav? You a "playa?" Look out, or you might need to hire someone to protect you from your multiple women!

"How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

This does not bode well. No sir, does not bode well at all. I would rather charge against the hounds of Hell armed with a pen knife than take on my wife.