Thread: dangerously pollute areas....

Default dangerously pollute areas....

so here is something i havnt fully thought out yet so please bear with me. im just sort of pitching it to see how it bounces.

here in seattle we have the duwamish river which is severely polluted. its so bad its poisoning the puget sound and making the soil in surrounding areas toxic. residents of these areas are advised not to plant gardens directly in the top soil but use raised beds only. recently i heard of a dog that died because it dug in the dirt too much.
    there are however some nice green belts along the river with various vegetation growing. some of that vegetation would be edible where it not growing next to what amounts to an industrial waste site and you certainly would not want to drink the water.

if someone came to seattle and was exploring along the duwamish they might be tempted to take a drink or pick some edibles.(granted none of the green belts are very large and may not invite much "exploring" but still...) if they somehow were not made aware of the dangers they could be in trouble.

another example which is less dangerous these days, but still not 100% safe is lake washington. a big problem in lake washington, believe it or not, was refuse from massive amounts of migrating canadian geese. for a while it was advised not to swim in lake washington.

so my loosely formed idea is to have people describe areas they are familiar with that might not be safe to forage along or to drink water from due to dangerous levels of pollutants.

what do you think?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Kind'a throws a snot'ball in the woopie The SHTF, now we can bug'out and drink poison water, eat poison fish, poison plants. Humanity has destroyed the planet, at some point the planet will destroy the foolish, prolific, humans.

It's a good question. Even out backpacking/hiking in a new area you could inadvertently stumble upon a site like that. Take a look at this and see if it's the kind of thing you are thinking about. Be prepared to have your mind blown, by the way.

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/index.htm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In general avoid any area down hill or down stream from:
    - Mines
    - Industrial sites
    - Garbage sites
    - Toxic waste sites

Banned
    Blog Entries

I find it odd no one will post to this subject, it has only been viewed 49 times, 5 of which were me. The polluted water reality is like ones own eminent death. People refuse to acknowledge either exist. If the the power grid went down for two years, would lack of water not be the #1 killer of city people......?

To para phrase agent (Elrond) Smith. You (Humanity) are a virus that infects an area, over populates, using up all its resources and destroys its host.
    I know what hunts you.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Attachment 1474i just got my cpu going again. my daughter helped me restore files!(she's 3 years old)
    been 6 days upgradeing and re- downloading programs. new stuff messed up my add-ons tray. so internet explorer was crashing. almost did not not figure it out!
    thanks to the child me education increased. i am now a competant cpu repair person.

that was my dangerously poluted area for this week.(aint she cute?)
    Last edited by erunkiswldrnssurvival; 06-02-2009 at 01:35 PM.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Blog Entries

There are two options here that MAY work.

1. Well water (if it's not polluted)

2. Sea water (if it's not polluted) http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-...-desalinators/
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by oneraindog View Post
    so my loosely formed idea is to have people describe areas they are familiar with that might not be safe to forage along or to drink water from due to dangerous levels of pollutants.

what do you think?
    Lytle creek in the San Bernardino Mountains of California is a polluted area. Not sure of how it became that way, but after stopping at their local ranger station and getting some free information, it said right there on the handouts that after touching the water they advise you to wash due to low levels of bacteria.

I found this out on my way to fish there, so I didn't get to fish after all.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Take a look at this and see if it's the kind of thing you are thinking about. Be prepared to have your mind blown, by the way.

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/index.htm

yes rick! exactly. thanks for the info. thats exactly what i was thinking of.
    mind blown. i cant even spend too much time on the site or i get sucked in and depressed. but it is a great resource for planning trips. thanks.

my vote is for that website link to be a sticky or some other permanent fixture. it seems like a very important resource that people should have ready and easy access to.
    no?