Thread: One more favor...

Default One more favor...

Hi all,

As most of you know, my daughter, Amber, has been working very hard lately to earn money to attend the Divisional Championship in Sacramento, California next week. She has been selling homemade climbing bracelets online (********), at church, door-to-door, through email, etc. She has also been camping out at the park by the greenbelt on the weekends selling freeze pops, gatorade, and water. In the process, she has exposed many people to the sport of rock climbing.

Additionally, Amber has made several friends in our region this year through climbing, she received the "most improved" award for the Big Sky Region, is 1st place in her category for our Region, and is currently ranked #5 in the Nation. Amber accomplished all this while maintaining high grades in school and receiving the Presidential Academic Achievement award.

If you wouldn't mind, I would like to ask that each of you please send an email to info@usaclimbing.org with "Young Guns" in the subject line and explain why you feel Amber Coleman should receive this honor for representing the values of the climbing community.

Thank you again for your support,
    mountain mama
    Last edited by crashdive123; 06-01-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: removed link
    ‎"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

MM, while it pained me to do it, I removed the link you posted in the body of your post. (rules being what they are and all) The link in you signature should be fine to get people to look at the site.

As far as your request - why does Amber feel she deserves the recognition? I know that you're very proud of your daughter, but if I'm going to recommend to somebody that she be recognized, I'd like to hear from Amber as to what her thoughts are. Maybe she could write a litte essay and let us know.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sure, Crash, I will ask her when she gets home from school today. But, she is very modest and doesn't usually do anything that will draw attention to herself, which is why I have to take it upon myself as her mama to sing her praises. She really is quite a remarkable young lady, if I do say so myself. It is much easier to brag on her than any of my other children, and that is saying a LOT. The fact that she doesn't ask for the recognition should speak volumes about her character.

To quote the minister of my church, "I have noticed that though quiet in nature, she is steady and reliable. I see her as growing into a tremendous asset to our church family and a fantastic athlete."

Amber speaks more through her actions than through her words (I am the one with the BIG MOUTH lol).

I may have worded that poorly. What I meant was why she enjoys rock climbing. And hey - you keep bragging on her - that's your job.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It is satisfying enough for her. But as her mama, I like for her to be recognized for her efforts. You may not know her personally, but you can tell much about her character by her actions. How many 11-yr-olds do you know that are industrious enough to sell freeze pops at the park on the weekend (when they would much rather be hanging out with friends, or better yet, rock climbing) to EARN their way to a competition? On top of that, she never brags on herself, even when she gets straight A's (probably because her siblings would call her a nerd and thoroughly harass her for it). So, remy, what is weird about that?

One other little note about Amber...her coach left the team the week before regionals (not sure if he was fired or quit, doesn't matter), leaving Amber to seek out a new trainer. For her to progress as well as she has, without the guidance of her regular coach, shows gumption!

Thanks, remy. Amber is certainly one of a kind and she would take a comparison to Dan Osman as a serious compliment. However, I think the one she looks up to the most in this sport is closer to her own age: Cicada Jenerik http://zerogravityclimbing.com/team/cicada_j.html . This summer, Amber will be the only girl attending survival camp. She is psyched!

Thanks again for all y'alls support!